Charlie Watts r.i.p.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Charlie Watts r.i.p.

Post by ChrisinHove »

Another legend gone… :crying-face
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Charlie Watts r.i.p.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sad, but we are all mortal. That is a seriously aging band and we can expect more to pass away.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the great rock bands that have come and gone throughout the decades I always marveled at how the Rolling Stones stayed together all these years. Charlie Watts was a true professional in every sense of the word.

I just read an article about a year ago that Charlie Watts was truly the glue that held the band together all these years.

I do hope Charlie Watts is at peace and my prayers go out to his family and friends.
James Y

Post by James Y »

RIP, Charlie Watts.

He was my favorite member of the Stones.

TBH, It’s amazing that most of the original Stones have lasted this long. Overall, he had a good life; 80 years old is a VERY long life for a rock star.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Yeah, R.I.P. Charlie -- what a drag. BUT -- 80 years old, so a pretty good run.

I clearly remember seeing the 'Stones when I was deployed to the Mediterranean in 1982 -- caught 'em live on their European tour at a port of call -- Naples, Italy!

I was twenty years of age, and Mick had just turned forty. Charlie was a bit older than Mick IIRC.
I was yelling about Mick "Check that Mother Fu*ker OUT!" as they blasted onto the stage and started playing in the city's soccer stadium -- forty was really old to me at the time, and I was AMAZED at the band's fabulous energy!
Now that I'm in my late fifties tho, forty years old AIN'T NUTHIN! :cheap-sunglasses :cheap-sunglasses

I cannot believe the original band members have reached octogenarian status, or darn near it!

Still have the concert shirt -- folded and preserved in a closet somewhere.

Good Times!!

-- SB / BRUCE :smlling-eyes
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

...DP Yet Again... :')
James Y

Post by James Y »

Although I am NOT a fan of Mick Jagger, I’m still amazed at how he continues to prance around onstage the way he still does (or at least until very recently). And that Keith Richards is still kicking.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I seen a video this weekend of the Stones playing on the Ed Sullivan show in 1969. They were always great on that show. I remember a few years back when the Rolling Stones did the "Halftime" show at the SUPERBOWL. For his age I couldn't believe how great Charlie Watts could still play the drums.

One of my most memorable times seeing the Rolling Stones in concert was back in the summer of 1972. The 1972 USA Tour of the Rolling Stones was considered one of the greatest tours or any rock band of all time. They even had "Stevie Wonder" of all people as their back up band on that tour. And Stevie Wonder put on a great Pre-Show performance. But the STONES were awesome that evening. I still have my T-Shirt from that tour.

Probably my favorite album of the Stones of all time was the "Some Girls" album. I also loved the "Let It Bleed" album which had "Gimme Shelter" and "Country Honk" ( the country/western version of Honky Tonk Woman). So many memories. I now wonder if the band will continue. Because I had heard so many times that Charlies Watts was the guy who held that band together.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I love The Rolling Stones and Charlie in particular. He was the anti attention whore in an industry wrought with them (including his own band mates). He wasn’t a world beater talent wise but understatedly solid and some of my favorite tracks he was noteworthy on- Can You Hear Me Knocking?, She’s So Cold, Fade To Black, When The Whip Comes Down
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Also 2000 Light Years From Home, if you can’t tell I am all about BSide tracks
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:39 pm
I love The Rolling Stones and Charlie in particular. He was the anti attention whore in an industry wrought with them (including his own band mates). He wasn’t a world beater talent wise but understatedly solid and some of my favorite tracks he was noteworthy on- Can You Hear Me Knocking?, She’s So Cold, Fade To Black, When The Whip Comes Down
Hey you could also add "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" to that list as well. Their "SOME GIRLS" album is truly in the top 25 best rock albums of all time IMO.

He was probably the only one of the Rolling Stones that was a good family man. Also I couldn't believe how well he played in that Superbowl halftime>> and he was getting really old at that point too. Yeah he'll be missed for sure.

I'm wondering if his passing might be the end of the Rolling stones. All of those guys are getting up there in age.

I would have predicted that either Jagger or Richards would have died before Charlie did. It's amazing that most of them are still alive.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Love the stones. RIP Charlie, Godspeed. I couldn't believe how talented these guys were at such a young age.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

A very good friend of mine is a long time drummer for a local band. He's played in all kinds of venues over the years and he knows the trade very well. We were talking about Charlie Watts over the weekend and he commented and agreed with me that Charile Watts was the main glue that held that band ( The Rolling Stones) together for so long.

I also brought up the fact that is it nothing short of a divine miracle that those other band members who are all in their mid to late 70s age-wise but yet they still seem to perform well. Not to mention that most of them are still alive in spite of all the intense partying and wild living they did over the years. They were here in Kansas City a couple of years ago at ARROWHEAD Stadium ( Where the Chiefs play) and it was a sellout. I didn't attend because of the outrageous ticket prices. But the guys and gals I know personally that attended all told me that the Stones could still perform very well.

But now that Charlie is no longer on this planet I'm wondering how much longer this iconic rock band can hold together? I'm willing to bet that this might be the end for Mick Jagger & Company. And I remember so vividly when Ed Sullivan brought the Beatles, Stones, Animals and Dave Clark Five all in one year ( dating myself for sure). I think that was 1963 if you all can believe that. I doubt the Stones will recover from losing Charlie. In a way I hope I'm wrong. But this might be the closing curtain for such an iconic band.
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I think the Stones will carry on as long as Mick and Keith want to do it. They have replaced every one who quit or died. Remember, Ron Wood is their third guitar player, Bill Wyman gave up as bass player in '92. Charlie announced a week or two before his death that he wouldn't make the upcoming tour and Steve Jordan would be sitting in. So I imagine he'll be the drummer if the band continues.

Charlie will surely be missed. RIP.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've heard that Keith Richards and Mick Jagger can barely tolerate each other.

Jim