Introvert or extrovert, or...?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Introvert or extrovert, or...?

Post by James Y »

Which do you consider.yourself? Keeping in mind it can vary with one's mood, the environment, different periods in your life, etc.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Introvert or extrovert, or...?

Post by Doc Dan »

It doesn't vary. A person is either an introvert or extravert, but there may be times when that type is feeling less outgoing or more outgoing. An introvert is someone who gets their energy strictly from within themselves. An extrovert is someone who gets their energy from other people.

I am an introvert, according to the MBTI.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:25 pm
It doesn't vary. A person is either an introvert or extravert, but there may be times when that type is feeling less outgoing or more outgoing. An introvert is someone who gets their energy strictly from within themselves. An extrovert is someone who gets their energy from other people.

Then that puts me at being an introvert. Although I can be outgoing if I want. Many people seem to confuse being an introvert with being shy, or even socially awkward. But there are differences. I was shy during my school years, but haven't been shy in adulthood.

I've heard some famous actors (like Robert DeNiro) refer to themselves as being shy in real life. I wonder if some of them aren't confusing being introverted with being shy. Unless, of course, the roles they play allow them to temporarily step outside of themselves and transcend their shyness. IMO, it would be very difficult (though certainly not impossible) for a truly shy person to become a great performer. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if many famous performing artists are introverts.

Jim
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Introvert. I can speak in front of a group or engage in small talk with strangers, if such is required by the situation, but I am most at peace when I am alone with nature, or at least far from a noisy crowd.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely an introvert.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also believe the mood/environment can change how I feel and am perceived by others. I'd say, I'm normally introvert though.

Being an only child, I've always been used to having time to myself and entertaining myself. I love my friends and family, but I'm honestly very content on my own, with my own time. I'm very grateful that wife understands this about me. Normally when I wander upstairs to my knife/workout room, she knows that's my quiet space away from the chaos of the house haha! (as well as very calming for me, with my ocd about things being neat and organized and everything having it's place) The 9 year old, not so much! Normally every night once everything is settled down, my wife and I will watch a tv show or two together and then she goes to bed around 10pm. I normally stay up until 11:30 or so, and even though her and I are just relaxing together before she goes to bed, I also really enjoy that last hour or so to myself. Watching whatever, or poking around on the tablet.

At the same time, I'm also pretty extrovert as well. I love doing things with friends and family and being in a group having fun. I'm not shy, and tend to make friends quickly with others. I've been called a "social butterfly" by a high school teacher, as well as a couple employers.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Introvert.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ambivert

I enjoy the company of others but need time alone. Too much of either one has me craving the other. I need both. I can easily do a week alone in the woods and love the first few days but somewhere around day 5 or 6 I start missing friends and family. I have done 9 days solo in the woods without speaking a single word on more than one occasion, usually hunting. It cleanses the soul and makes you appreciate people more.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

No question I'm an introvert.

A significant question would be if you are one what is/was your significant other. My ex was definitely an extrovert. I was wondering if it usually works like that or if both can be the same?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:38 am
Ambivert

I enjoy the company of others but need time alone. Too much of either one has me craving the other. I need both. I can easily do a week alone in the woods and love the first few days but somewhere around day 5 or 6 I start missing friends and family. I have done 9 days solo in the woods without speaking a single word on more than one occasion, usually hunting. It cleanses the soul and makes you appreciate people more.
That must be the word I was looking for, because I know I'm not 100% one or the other. I can definitely relate to this. Learned something new today!

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:46 am
A significant question would be if you are one what is/was your significant other. My ex was definitely an extrovert. I was wondering if it usually works like that or if both can be the same?
My wife is probably a bit more introvert than myself. It takes her a bit to warm up to people she doesn't know. When I first met her and her daughter was only 11 months old, on the rare chances we had an opportunity to go out to dinner or something a lot of the time she'd rather just have the peace of the 2 of us and order some take out.

Now, a few glasses of wine and she's a bit more extrovert. A couple shots of tequila...she's out of this world :zany

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yup....I took a test and came up Ambivert
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:59 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Then that puts me at being an introvert. Although I can be outgoing if I want. Many people seem to confuse being an introvert with being shy, or even socially awkward. But there are differences. I was shy during my school years, but haven't been shy in adulthood.

I've heard some famous actors (like Robert DeNiro) refer to themselves as being shy in real life. I wonder if some of them aren't confusing being introverted with being shy. Unless, of course, the roles they play allow them to temporarily step outside of themselves and transcend their shyness. IMO, it would be very difficult (though certainly not impossible) for a truly shy person to become a great performer. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if many famous performing artists are introverts.

Jim
When a person is acting, they are effectively becoming a different person. Sometimes that is the only way they can interact with other people - by pretending to be the character they portray rather than themselves. From what I saw of Lee Majors, he didn't have a personality of his own, just whatever role he was playing.

Back on topic, I'm an introvert by pretty much any measure you want to use.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

For myself it would depend on where I am and the protocol but I do not think I'm either and introvert or extrovert.

If I was at a small gathering observing the game of Polo at a Royal's party and I knew 2 people, I'd communicate with them. Not that I'd be afraid to communicate with anyone else, but I'm sure they would not have much in common with me so why force a conversation.

If I was at a Rave in Ibiza, I'd certainly act like it, but that does not make me an extrovert.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm an introvert that is outgoing and hates being alone. i've never liked rules.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:38 am
Ambivert

↑ This is me! I was going to say I'm Intro-Extroverted but Ambi sounds better. I need my alone time but definitely need social time too. There was a time when I was going through my divorce, I had been married with kids for 23 years. I moved out of our house into a nice town house. I enjoyed having my own place but I also worked from home. So it didn't take long for me to start getting lonely in a big way. I had family and friends close buy but there's only so much visiting you can do. That only lasted 6 months until I met a fabulous person. I moved to Texas about 8 months later and bachelorhood was over. All is good now and I'm back to balancing alone and social time
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
James Y

Post by James Y »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:16 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:59 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Jim
When a person is acting, they are effectively becoming a different person. Sometimes that is the only way they can interact with other people - by pretending to be the character they portray rather than themselves. From what I saw of Lee Majors, he didn't have a personality of his own, just whatever role he was playing.

Back on topic, I'm an introvert by pretty much any measure you want to use.

Come to think of it, I can think of a few actors I’ve seen over the years that didn’t seem to have much personality offscreen, or at least came across that way the little I saw of them offscreen.

When I was into acting several years ago, I did experience being able to act and even think in different ways, outside of my own personality. The ones I was best at were awkward, bumbling comedic characters and creepy, diabolical characters. Characters with personalities quite different from my own. In acting, we were taught that you essentially become that character, and the emotions that character feels are real, even though the situation itself is not real. Otherwise it’s not acting, it’s just pretending, which is bad acting. So perhaps I have elements (or potentials) of those personality types deep in my subconscious I was unaware of that I was able to temporarily access?

Interestingly, I recall hearing that the late Heath Ledger had said that preparing for and playing the Joker character in The Dark Knight had deeply disturbed him.

Although in real life I’m an introvert, I’m not shy at all, and I do have a personality of my own. Even though I tend to get along with most people wherever I go, and can be outgoing and social when I want or need to be, I’m still an introvert. I enjoy the companionship of people with whom I’m compatible, or with whom our personalities complement each others’. But I can go long stretches by myself without going crazy or longing for companionship. TBH, I never realized how long until this whole pandemic thing made it necessary for an extended period. Of course, everything has its limit.

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Extrovert. It’s a gift and a curse. I’m in sales and it comes so natural to me to build rapport and influence people, but I suck at keeping secrets and exercising brevity
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Introvert, and have been for as long as I can remember. I can interact well with others, but prefer to do so either 1:1 or in small groups. I don’t care too much for large groups/gatherings. I’m perfectly happy either being alone or with my wife, who also happens to be my best friend. Fortunately, she is just like me, so we’re like two peas in a pod.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Take this free test: https://www.truity.com/test/type-finder ... st-new-std

It's not as good as the full test, but gives an indication. Take it at least twice. Be as gut honest as possible.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050