Are you even marginally prepared?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Are you even marginally prepared?

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:36 am
Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 pm
I think we have touched on some of the issues, but I'll point out that all or most of these issues can be mitigated with planning and investing in food, water, possibly some tools for security, and more. You need 3 to 6 months of stores to make it through the toughest part. During this time you can plan what your next steps will be.

There is no need to roll over and give up. There are also entire forums on the internet dealing with prepping and survivalism that discuss these issues.
Everything you stated is true Naperville and it's good to attempt to be prepared with life's necessities. But even if you're able to stock up with 6 months or more of commodities and necessities it still doesn't address the issue of gangs and thugs who will soon figure out who has got food and other necessities when most people don't. Because most of the God-Less thugs I've ever encountered in my life that have no conscience or morals will think nothing of killing people in a heartbeat just to get their next meal>> and those types of people will think nothing of killing you, raping your wife or girlfriend and hijacking all of your belongings in very short order.

Because in a true survival situation that most of us modern Americans or any other modern society for that matter have no conception of at that time will not even have a clue until it's too late. Nothing short of barbaric mayhem will transpire if you have no Police, Firemen, Ambulances or any other emergency services that we currently take for granted that will not be available in a societal meltdown. Any aid that is normally available by making a 911 call will no longer be available>> you will truly be on your own to fend for yourself. You will have to help yourself against criminals and/or any medical emergencies you would need in the event of a true emergency. Then you have the huge problem of all of the coward people that will immediately sell out and turn into Judas-Goats in a feeble attempt to save their own hide>> or to sell you out for their own gain or their own survival.

Right now as we speak in the comfort/safety of our own homes>> just take a hard look at big cities like Chicago right now with all of the Police and medical help available where the thugs and gangs are already killing people like game animals with very little help from the government entities>> and that's already happening now as we speak in a seemingly normal social order. Spydergirl hit the nail on the head when she mentioned the "Thug-Gang" problems that we will all inevitably face at some point during a survival situation. And you don't hear that addressed much during survival seminars. Nor do you hear of game plans to defend yourself if problems of that magnitude were to arise. Even if you are armed you will still have your limitations. Because in a scenario of total mayhem nothing will be available if you happen to run out of anything.

Very few people even have a clue of what could be on the horizon.

And you never will because that goes against their agenda, most reality actually does to tell the truth.

It's all about selling people stuff in the end.

The idea of being able to survive if whatever happens is fun to talk about, but reality would be much more brutal and nothing like they seem to want to think or told how it would be. The toys are fun for them to play with and talk about with others.

Hear most of them talk and it's more like an extended camping trip were they are sitting around doing whatever and maybe going out hunting or something. While looking at their food supply for the next how many ever years.

And then shortly after they are done with their camping trip they would go back to their homes and all will be back to normal.

That is NOT reality if total breakdown ever happened.

Most of the people I grew up with and know all would be be dead within the 1st month or two, some of the survivalist's might last slightly longer if they are lucky. That is the harsh reality of it all.
Last edited by Ankerson on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:37 am
So little faith in humanity.

You forgot the biggest problem of all.... HUMAN NATURE.

Study about what happened in the dark ages.

The sure brutality, oppression and horrors of what people had to endure.

And that lasted for the better part of 1,000 years.

If something happened today it would be even worse due to the large population of today compared to back then.

Yes, humanity would recover eventually, but what would happen would be unconceivable it would be so bad.

And there would be a whole lot less humans on the planet than there are now. I would be surprised if there was even 1 Billion people left in the world once it was over.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

If something happened today it would be even worse due to the large population of today compared to back then.

Yes, humanity would recover eventually, but what would happen would be unconceivable it would be so bad.

And there would be a whole lot less humans on the planet than there are now. I would be surprised if there was even 1 Billion people left in the world once it was over.
I didn’t forget human nature. I just believe that in ALL of us exists both good and evil. They are both in our nature. I think that many of us would pull together for the better. Hopefully enough of us.

The dark ages were a long time ago and humans have changed. As Sal likes to say, if people knew better they would do better. I think progress has been made.

Also worth noting that most scholars now reject the term dark ages as it has a negative connotation and misleads people into believing that it was a time of violence and regression. The term is meant to reference the lack of written records from the era. It is “dark” because we cannot see what has happened.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Naperville wrote:
I think we have touched on some of the issues, but I'll point out that all or most of these issues can be mitigated with planning and investing in food, water, possibly some tools for security, and more. You need 3 to 6 months of stores to make it through the toughest part. During this time you can plan what your next steps will be.

There is no need to roll over and give up. There are also entire forums on the internet dealing with prepping and survivalism that discuss these issues.
Everything you stated is true Naperville and it's good to attempt to be prepared with life's necessities. But even if you're able to stock up with 6 months or more of commodities and necessities it still doesn't address the issue of gangs and thugs who will soon figure out who has got food and other necessities when most people don't. Because most of the God-Less thugs I've ever encountered in my life that have no conscience or morals will think nothing of killing people in a heartbeat just to get their next meal>> and those types of people will think nothing of killing you, raping your wife or girlfriend and hijacking all of your belongings in very short order.

Because in a true survival situation that most of us modern Americans or any other modern society for that matter have no conception of at that time will not even have a clue until it's too late. Nothing short of barbaric mayhem will transpire if you have no Police, Firemen, Ambulances or any other emergency services that we currently take for granted that will not be available in a societal meltdown. Any aid that is normally available by making a 911 call will no longer be available>> you will truly be on your own to fend for yourself. You will have to help yourself against criminals and/or any medical emergencies you would need in the event of a true emergency. Then you have the huge problem of all of the coward people that will immediately sell out and turn into Judas-Goats in a feeble attempt to save their own hide>> or to sell you out for their own gain or their own survival.

Right now as we speak in the comfort/safety of our own homes>> just take a hard look at big cities like Chicago right now with all of the Police and medical help available where the thugs and gangs are already killing people like game animals with very little help from the government entities>> and that's already happening now as we speak in a seemingly normal social order. Spydergirl hit the nail on the head when she mentioned the "Thug-Gang" problems that we will all inevitably face at some point during a survival situation. And you don't hear that addressed much during survival seminars. Nor do you hear of game plans to defend yourself if problems of that magnitude were to arise. Even if you are armed you will still have your limitations. Because in a scenario of total mayhem nothing will be available if you happen to run out of anything.

And you never will because that goes against their agenda, most reality actually does to tell the truth.

The idea of being able to survive if whatever happens is fun to talk about, but reality would be much more brutal and nothing like they seem to want to think or told how it would be. The toys are fun for them to play with and talk about with others.

Hear most of them talk and it's more like an extended camping trip were they are sitting around doing whatever and maybe going out hunting or something. While looking at their food supply for the next how many ever years.

And then shortly after they are done with their camping trip they would go back to their homes and all will be back to normal.

Most of the people I grew up with and know all would be be dead within the 1st month or two, some of the survivalist's might last slightly longer if they are lucky. That is the harsh reality of it all.
Yeah Ankerson I think you've hit it dead center. The brutal reality of a complete economic or societal breakdown is far worse than most of us in this generation can even fathom. When I heard talk from my older relatives about the horrors of the Great Depression of the 1920s/30s was a different sort of breakdown. I think that one was strictly economical the more I think about it. The family unit was really strong back then and most people throughout the USA lived on farms and were able to survive with just enough food to get by.

But today's potential breakdown is much deeper than that event was. And I've got the feeling that it will be a living nightmare to put it as mild as I can. Heck most people in the USA have no idea how people in the 3rd World are living as we speak. Most of us baby-boomers ( myself included) have lived such rich lives and never lacked for anything>> it really won't bode well for being prepared for the worst that might happen. I hope my fears are baseless but I think I actually know better. Yep you've hit the nail on the head dead center Ankerson and I truly wish you and I both were wrong.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Very few people even have a clue of what could be on the horizon. You all better hope to God above that we can prevent a true meltdown.
Our Sun is going to eventually have a CME (Coronal Mass Ejection) that the Earth finds itself within the path of. I think that we will encounter a CME before we do a manmade EMP.

It behooves everyone to learn some gardening, develop the beginnings of an apolitical MAG (Mutual Assistance Group) in their local area, and stock that 3 to 6 months of food, water, medical supplies.

There is more of course and I could dump a books worth of list items, yet everyone's best bet is if they are interested in learning about these things would be to join a couple prepper / survivalist forums so that they know what lie ahead.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Most people in the world live in poverty. For years, probably more than a decade, I had a pen pal in the Philippines and I sent money. I saw how they lived but I was unable to do more for them so I gave up to concentrate on my own plight. I would get a job and start saving to go visit them, and no sooner would I have some cash saved and the company I was at would have lay offs or let go of staff...and I was right back where I started. Wealthy, I am not.

So I started by keeping track of my knives, knives that I wanted to fulfill a mission. Then I started to investigate all of the calamities that could befall me where I am and expanded it. This was at least a decade ago and I still work on the document. I may publish it for Kindle.

Get started on a decent sized MAG with 25 people in it of varying levels of expertise throughout. Start to prepare your own documentation. This can be done.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:28 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Naperville wrote:

Yeah Ankerson I think you've hit it dead center. The brutal reality of a complete economic or societal breakdown is far worse than most of us in this generation can even fathom. When I heard talk from my older relatives about the horrors of the Great Depression of the 1920s/30s was a different sort of breakdown. I think that one was strictly economical the more I think about it. The family unit was really strong back then and most people throughout the USA lived on farms and were able to survive with just enough food to get by.

But today's potential breakdown is much deeper than that event was. And I've got the feeling that it will be a living nightmare to put it as mild as I can. Heck most people in the USA have no idea how people in the 3rd World are living as we speak. Most of us baby-boomers ( myself included) have lived such rich lives and never lacked for anything>> it really won't bode well for being prepared for the worst that might happen. I hope my fears are baseless but I think I actually know better. Yep you've hit the nail on the head dead center Ankerson and I truly wish you and I both were wrong.

I just think a lot of people just can't grasp the reality of it would really like, and as you said can't or won't.

Wishing (And maybe help cause) for something to happen that they can't remotely comprehend how bad it would really be.

While complaining all over social media about some minor inconvenience.

Yeah, 1st world problems. :thinking
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 am
Ankerson wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I didn’t forget human nature. I just believe that in ALL of us exists both good and evil. They are both in our nature. I think that many of us would pull together for the better. Hopefully enough of us.

The dark ages were a long time ago and humans have changed. As Sal likes to say, if people knew better they would do better. I think progress has been made.

Also worth noting that most scholars now reject the term dark ages as it has a negative connotation and misleads people into believing that it was a time of violence and regression. The term is meant to reference the lack of written records from the era. It is “dark” because we cannot see what has happened.

Yeah, a lot of people are more than aware of the lack of documentation after the Romain Empire Fell (The Dark Ages). But there is enough information still coming in about that time period as they are still studying it even today.

Can't really get into the barbaric stuff here that went on nor the cause of most of it as it is against the forum rules.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:04 pm
Adapted from another site.

I present a simple year round scenario that could happen: Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall.

Imagine that for 90 days EVERYTHING shuts down. 3 months with no natural gas, no electricity, no Internet, no cellphones. No FEMA. No retail stores of any kind are able to open. No hospitals, no dentists, no service calls of any kind.

No municipal water or garbage pickup, and no municipal services such as police and ambulance.

You can't buy gasoline to run your auto or the tiller in the garden. No new medications or refills for any family members are available.

Event starts tomorrow at 3am.

No long answers. 20 words or less.

Think and answer honestly. Can YOU and YOUR's make it for 90 days?
Apologies in advance for disregarding the length guidelines.

It depends on what you mean by "prepared".

I suspect a VAST majority of the "Yays", cannot begin to imagine what "survival" in such a situation, truly entails. Being physically(energy, consumables, etc.) prepared is a very small part of the equation.

To survive(not just the event, but life beyond that) you would need the ability to shut your mind off, so that you do not store the memories of what takes place. You are guaranteed to have to do(or experience) things that are unspeakable, to ensure the survival of your family.

Can you switch off your conscience in such a way?

If you can't do that, while you may be able to survive, you will likely perish at your own hands in the future, due to being unprepared for what "survival" truly required.

The greatest foe you will ever face, is your own mind.

With that being said, I will refrain from giving a personal answer...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:39 pm
Naperville wrote:

I suspect a VAST majority of the "Yays", cannot begin to imagine what "survival" in such a situation, truly entails. Being physically(energy, consumables, etc.) prepared is a very small part of the equation.

To survive(not just the event, but life beyond that) you would need the ability to shut your mind off, so that you do not store the memories of what takes place. You are guaranteed to have to do(or experience) things that are unspeakable, to ensure the survival of your family.

If you can't do that, while you may be able to survive, you will likely perish at your own hands in the future, due to being unprepared for what "survival" truly required.

I'm on several medications, some that I absolutely cannot do without. I probably have 1 years worth of some medications, others, only 90 days MAX. I need to start saving to pay cash for a years worth of meds so that I'm a bit more secure.

I've never been in the military and have never had to pull the trigger on anyone, but there is no doubt that I could do it if they were trying to harm me. I'd sleep like a baby.

I've been through some horrific situations, so I may be more prepared than the average joe/jane.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If I stock up this product, will that make me magarine-ly prepared?
Prepared!
Prepared!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Well to paraphrase GOT... "to some- chaos is a pit, for others-it's a ladder"
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:53 pm
Well to paraphrase GOT... "to some- chaos is a pit, for others-it's a ladder"
I need to watch that series.

If you don't mind I'll use that quote, giving you full attribution in my prepper document. It's brilliant!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great axiom, indeed.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I'm on several medications, some that I absolutely cannot do without. I probably have 1 years worth of some medications, others, only 90 days MAX. I need to start saving to pay cash for a years worth of meds so that I'm a bit more secure.

I've never been in the military and have never had to pull the trigger on anyone, but there is no doubt that I could do it if they were trying to harm me. I'd sleep like a baby.

I've been through some horrific situations, so I may be more prepared than the average joe/jane.
People on maintenance medications is a huge problem all over this country. I have 3 good friends here locally that are on "maintenance medications" and each one of them are diabetic. It will go without saying that cutting them off from their meds will be a virual death sentence. And I can't help but wonder how many baby boomers throughout the country are on maintenance medications. The numbers are high for sure.

Not having access to the most basic of first aid products and other "over the counter" meds and medical supplies will be a living nightmare to many unprepared people. Bartering will be available>> but at what price?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:16 am
Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Naperville wrote:

People on maintenance medications is a huge problem all over this country. I have 3 good friends here locally that are on "maintenance medications" and each one of them are diabetic. It will go without saying that cutting them off from their meds will be a virual death sentence. And I can't help but wonder how many baby boomers throughout the country are on maintenance medications. The numbers are high for sure.

Not having access to the most basic of first aid products and other "over the counter" meds and medical supplies will be a living nightmare to many unprepared people. Bartering will be available>> but at what price?

Yeah, there are a lot of people on maintenance meds, one heck of a lot of them so you have a good point.

One of the things people just don't realize, there would be zero manufacturing, zero resupplying.

The whole infrastructure and supply chain would be down, everything that society bases it's way of life on.

And for a very long period of time, likely decades or more.

For those who wish for something to happen I really don't believe they really know what it is they are asking for. :eye-roll
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

For those who wish for something to happen I really don't believe they really know what it is they are asking for
Hoping for an end to civilization? I'd guess stupid or psychotic. It's an idiotic thing to ask for. :neutral Fortunately I don't recall anybody that I've met that really hoped for that. I've met pretty much all types too. Even cannibal murderers. To some some temporary chaos is desired for whatever deviant thing they think they can gain from it but end of civilization stuff? Can't say I've ever met one like that.

IMO the only stuff that can really do that would be supervolcanos of the largest type or space impacts. Regionally it can get bad. Recall what it would have been like for citizens of Stalingrad in Ww2 during the siege. They were prevented from leaving by the soviet government and no supplies were getting in. It reverted to cannibalism and starvation killed many thousands. That was just from warfare and the citizens though not really targets were just not highly valued by either the enemy or their own government.

Most of my life is behind me. I'm not real afraid of death and never have been. I do worry what sort of world my son and his kids will have though. Still I believe in changing what you can and not worrying about what is out of my influence. Fear and worry is always unproductive. I reject them and recommend others to also.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:21 pm
Still I believe in changing what you can and not worrying about what is out of my influence. Fear and worry is always unproductive. I reject them and recommend others to also.
These are good words to live by.

In response to the initial question, I would have to honestly say that I am not prepared for a major catastrophe. (Marginally, yes, but not much beyond that). Having said that, I'm pretty handy with most things and feel that my family and I can get by for a while if things go south. When I was in high school, we had the big "Y2K" scare that everyone was worrying about. My father purchased a lot of supplies, such as food, toilet paper, water purifier, and ammunition. We were very well prepared for a worst-case scenario. But, at the stroke of midnight on December 31st 1999, nothing happened. The computers didn't crash and the world didn't descend into chaos. I'm not saying that bad things won't happen, because that's not true, but I don't think worrying about every possible future issue is a healthy practice.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

These are good words to live by.

In response to the initial question, I would have to honestly say that I am not prepared for a major catastrophe. (Marginally, yes, but not much beyond that). Having said that, I'm pretty handy with most things and feel that my family and I can get by for a while if things go south. When I was in high school, we had the big "Y2K" scare that everyone was worrying about. My father purchased a lot of supplies, such as food, toilet paper, water purifier, and ammunition. We were very well prepared for a worst-case scenario. But, at the stroke of midnight on December 31st 1999, nothing happened. The computers didn't crash and the world didn't descend into chaos. I'm not saying that bad things won't happen, because that's not true, but I don't think worrying about every possible future issue is a healthy practice.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Double tap