Are you even marginally prepared?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Re: Are you even marginally prepared?

Post by The Mastiff »

To survive(not just the event, but life beyond that) you would need the ability to shut your mind off, so that you do not store the memories of what takes place. You are guaranteed to have to do(or experience) things that are unspeakable, to ensure the survival of your family.

Can you switch off your conscience in such a way?

If you can't do that, while you may be able to survive, you will likely perish at your own hands in the future, due to being unprepared for what "survival" truly required.

The greatest foe you will ever face, is your own mind.
I believe a lot of that is exaggerated. As long as I'm ok with the law I can go home and sleep like a baby after a cup of coffe and maybe a bit of light reading. Of course I've never worked at death camps or genocidal events. Using force including deadly force has never been an issue with me because I stay within my morality. I have boundaries I wouldn't cross to save my own life. If I stay within those boundaries I can sleep like a baby.

When I first began working at the prison I met an old timer that was there since the 1940's. He had killed 12 people trying to escape. He seemed like a real nice old guy too. He used to pretend to be falling asleep hoping another inmate would try their luck. :worried . He never got that bakers dozen though. I wouldn't go to those extremes but stopping a felon from escaping a legal sentence or a lawful shooting when I was a cop just wasn't an issue that bothered me or as far as I saw the guys I worked with. As long as we were not in legal trouble I stress.

I think ptsd has been exaggerated. It's almost as if we expect returning soldiers to have some great burden. If you tell them it's so some will accept it and become it. There are those that really do but for sure not everybody.

All of us have ancestors that have killed. If it wasn't in our genetics our line and ourselves just wouldn't be here. That's everybody alive now.
Ankerson

Re: Are you even marginally prepared?

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:07 pm
To survive(not just the event, but life beyond that) you would need the ability to shut your mind off, so that you do not store the memories of what takes place. You are guaranteed to have to do(or experience) things that are unspeakable, to ensure the survival of your family.

Can you switch off your conscience in such a way?

If you can't do that, while you may be able to survive, you will likely perish at your own hands in the future, due to being unprepared for what "survival" truly required.

The greatest foe you will ever face, is your own mind.
I believe a lot of that is exaggerated. As long as I'm ok with the law I can go home and sleep like a baby after a cup of coffe and maybe a bit of light reading. Of course I've never worked at death camps or genocidal events. Using force including deadly force has never been an issue with me because I stay within my morality. I have boundaries I wouldn't cross to save my own life. If I stay within those boundaries I can sleep like a baby.

When I first began working at the prison I met an old timer that was there since the 1940's. He had killed 12 people trying to escape. He seemed like a real nice old guy too. He used to pretend to be falling asleep hoping another inmate would try their luck. :worried . He never got that bakers dozen though. I wouldn't go to those extremes but stopping a felon from escaping a legal sentence or a lawful shooting when I was a cop just wasn't an issue that bothered me or as far as I saw the guys I worked with. As long as we were not in legal trouble I stress.

I think ptsd has been exaggerated. It's almost as if we expect returning soldiers to have some great burden. If you tell them it's so some will accept it and become it. There are those that really do but for sure not everybody.

All of us have ancestors that have killed. If it wasn't in our genetics our line and ourselves just wouldn't be here. That's everybody alive now.

I tend to think so also.

Can some people deal with things better than others?

Absolutely.

But it is a mistake to group all into one basket.