Carothers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Carothers

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:19 am
My Kephart arrived on Friday, before my DEK1. I’d post a picture, but it looks exactly like MacLaren’s posted earlier. Disappointingly, I’ve no chance to use it yet.
I gotta say Jr, I wish mine had came a bit sharper than it did, did yours come sharp?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

This thing is very sharp hahaha
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:35 pm
This thing is very sharp hahaha
Lol, yup I'd say thats sharp 😀
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:46 pm
JRinFL wrote:
My Kephart arrived on Friday, before my DEK1. I’d post a picture, but it looks exactly like MacLaren’s posted earlier. Disappointingly, I’ve no chance to use it yet.
I gotta say Jr, I wish mine had came a bit sharper than it did, did yours come sharp?
I just checked mine on some copier paper and it seems to have adequate edge sharpness, but nothing to brag about. I’ve read Nathan’s post on BF and I can understand his point. I’d rather the bevels be set accurately over simply having a screaming sharp edge out of the box. Hopefully, my DEK1 arrives soon and I can see what edge that one has. The DEK1 is not meant to hit a particular price point, so we’ll see if the edge gets more attention.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:06 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:46 pm
JRinFL wrote:
I just checked mine on some copier paper and it seems to have adequate edge sharpness, but nothing to brag about. I’ve read Nathan’s post on BF and I can understand his point. I’d rather the bevels be set accurately over simply having a screaming sharp edge out of the box. Hopefully, my DEK1 arrives soon and I can see what edge that one has. The DEK1 is not meant to hit a particular price point, so we’ll see if the edge gets more attention.
10-4. Thanx, JR.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I love me some Carothers! :)
Josh
mb1

Post by mb1 »

It’s funny. Spyderco and CPK are connected for me. When I first sought after a “super steel” fixed blade I bought a Southfork. My performance wish was to be able to split a whole chicken, cut through the breast and rib bones and all, and still be able to shave hair after.

The Southfork did well but not like I hoped.
This prompted some good debate and discussion involving Cliff Stamp on here (RIP). And I think it’s what helped send me further on my search which led me to CPK.

The original Field Knife did the do and I was hooked! Now I know that’s not the only maker to put out a tough knife (geometry factors and all that), but I do love them. As close to perfection as I’ve ever experienced.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My only wish is that they kept a couple of standard models in production so anyone can get a taste of D3V without jumping through hoops or joining a lolly scramble.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

mb1 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:29 am
It’s funny. Spyderco and CPK are connected for me. When I first sought after a “super steel” fixed blade I bought a Southfork. My performance wish was to be able to split a whole chicken, cut through the breast and rib bones and all, and still be able to shave hair after.

This prompted some good debate and discussion involving Cliff Stamp on here (RIP). And I think it’s what helped send me further on my search which led me to CPK.

The original Field Knife did the do and I was hooked! Now I know that’s not the only maker to put out a tough knife (geometry factors and all that), but I do love them. As close to perfection as I’ve ever experienced.

Good stuff!
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

mb1 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:29 am

I hear ya Mark! Loud & Clear brother 😁
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

More DEK1s in AEBL are on the Carothers website. I am more then happy with the tweaked AEBL.
Josh
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Welp, now I have an FK2 inbound. Thanks enablers! I sure didn't hold out long...
--Jeremy
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Should I carry these to work tomorrow? Haha :)
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Looks like I was successful in getting a Basic 5! So, from zero to three in a few weeks. Oy. :astonished

Now I need to pump the brakes, hard.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 am
Looks like I was successful in getting a Basic 5! So, from zero to three in a few weeks. Oy. :astonished

Nice! Yeah I’m pumping the brakes now too, I’ve got some other knives to pay for from a different maker around Christmas time. Lolz
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:57 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 am

Nice! Yeah I’m pumping the brakes now too, I’ve got some other knives to pay for from a different maker around Christmas time. Lolz
It's all fun and games until the bill comes due! :smlling-eyes :confounded
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I went from 1 (FK) to 3 (FK, Kephart, Dek1), so that means I can buy one more, right?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 pm
I went from 1 (FK) to 3 (FK, Kephart, Dek1), so that means I can buy one more, right?
On the 24th there will be another 50 Basic 5's dropped. There's always room for one more!
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Busted out the Kephart for weekend cabin trip, nice knife just a little off for me. Handle is just a hair to short (xl glove size) and I noticed how thick the blade stock was while cutting. I would say the primary bevel is to steep for my taste. Didn't keep any fish so I didn't get to see how it worked for delicate trout. Worked ok for trimming tri-tip, definitely noticed the added width at the tip vs my flat grind lt wright. Left it out for a cheese knife at dinner, definitely not good for cheddar or Hillshire farms...

Going to give the knife another go while actually camping. Knife is definitely over built and has a good heat treat. I put this in the survival category, going to snatch up a condor/another custom with a thinner stock to try. I can get past the short handle, the primary bevel and blade stock are a tad too much.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Snacktime wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:07 am
Busted out the Kephart for weekend cabin trip, nice knife just a little off for me. Handle is just a hair to short (xl glove size) and I noticed how thick the blade stock was while cutting. I would say the primary bevel is to steep for my taste. Didn't keep any fish so I didn't get to see how it worked for delicate trout. Worked ok for trimming tri-tip, definitely noticed the added width at the tip vs my flat grind lt wright. Left it out for a cheese knife at dinner, definitely not good for cheddar or Hillshire farms...

Going to give the knife another go while actually camping. Knife is definitely over built and has a good heat treat. I put this in the survival category, going to snatch up a condor/another custom with a thinner stock to try. I can get past the short handle, the primary bevel and blade stock are a tad too much.
Nice post.
I feel the same way.
This is a total survival/bushcraft knife. And, a Jim Dandy one at that imo.
Btw, sharpened mine up and it's pretty nice now.
You mentioned Condor, and I have a couple of those. In particular the discontinued Baryonyx. Man, talk about a dead useful tool in the woods!!
I think they have another version of it called the Bush Knife. But, I love that Baryonyx.
Anyways, my point is that if your gonna peruse Condor and wanna blade that can pull some kitchen duty as well, then check out Tops and their Frog Market Special knives. I really live the XL version.
They're super thin though.
And, I'm far from any type expert so just know that lol