Unusual, and/or Paranormal Events

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Unusual, and/or Paranormal Events

Post by MacLaren »

I have a feeling or maybe a belief that small children can possibly see things we adults cannot.
My mother passed away of cancer ( myelodiplasia )
on November 14, 2003.
Not very long after, my niece and nephew while with my sister pointed to the sun and said, "there's Nanna"
They said she was smiling and waiving to them.
They did this all on their own.
I think I remember that story correctly. I'll ask my sister tomorrow.
James Y

Post by James Y »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:22 pm
I have a feeling or maybe a belief that small children can possibly see things we adults cannot.
on November 14, 2003.
Not very long after, my niece and nephew while with my sister pointed to the sun and said, "there's Nanna"

MacLaren:

My condolences.

I agree that small children (or at least a good percentage of them) have a greater sensitivity and tendency to seeing certain things. IMO, this is because they are closer to having come from the spirit realm, and they have no preconceived notions of what is real and what is not. So very young children are open books that haven’t yet been closed off or had it taught out of them.

OTOH, I believe that when many people start approaching the end of life (again, maybe not everyone, but a good percentage of people), their awareness of “the other realm” begins to open up again, because they are closer to crossing back into the spirit realm. Most “logical” and cynical people will dismiss this as “just old people seeing imaginary things because they’re old.” I don’t know about that.

I also believe there are some people who maintain their sensitivity to see, feel, and experience things beyond the five senses throughout their lives. For some it may be an everyday thing, and to others it may happen only occasionally. Maybe everybody has this ability to various degrees, but many times things that are seen or experienced go unnoticed or unheeded (and thus disbelieved). Like when people who ran into trouble often say things like, “I had a really bad feeling about going to that place, but I ignored it and went anyway, because it wasn’t logical not to, and I didn’t want anyone to think I was crazy. I wish I’d listened to that inner voice; I wouldn’t have ran into all this trouble if I had.”

It would be interesting to know if your niece and nephew actually remember that, or if they’ve long forgotten it.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:51 am
MacLaren wrote:
on November 14, 2003.

MacLaren:

My condolences.

I agree that small children (or at least a good percentage of them) have a greater sensitivity and tendency to seeing certain things. IMO, this is because they are closer to having come from the spirit realm, and they have no preconceived notions of what is real and what is not. So very young children are open books that haven’t yet been closed off or had it taught out of them.

OTOH, I believe that when many people start approaching the end of life (again, maybe not everyone, but a good percentage of people), their awareness of “the other realm” begins to open up again, because they are closer to crossing back into the spirit realm. Most “logical” and cynical people will dismiss this as “just old people seeing imaginary things because they’re old.” I don’t know about that.

I also believe there are some people who maintain their sensitivity to see, feel, and experience things beyond the five senses throughout their lives. For some it may be an everyday thing, and to others it may happen only occasionally. Maybe everybody has this ability to various degrees, but many times things that are seen or experienced go unnoticed or unheeded (and thus disbelieved). Like when people who ran into trouble often say things like, “I had a really bad feeling about going to that place, but I ignored it and went anyway, because it wasn’t logical not to, and I didn’t want anyone to think I was crazy. I wish I’d listened to that inner voice; I wouldn’t have ran into all this trouble if I had.”

It would be interesting to know if your niece and nephew actually remember that, or if they’ve long forgotten it.

Jim
Thank you, Jim
I also agree with you on older people.
When my father passed away in 2018 (83)
He saw his brothers and other people towards the end.
I do belive that veil does indeed become thinner.
James Y

Post by James Y »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:49 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:51 am
MacLaren wrote:
on November 14, 2003.

MacLaren:

My condolences.

Jim
Thank you, Jim
I also agree with you on older people.
When my father passed away in 2018 (83)
He saw his brothers and other people towards the end.
I do belive that veil does indeed become thinner.

Also condolences for your father, MacLaren.

I was my mom’s caregiver in her last several years; full-time for her final year (2019). A few times late at night about a couple months before she passed, I heard her carrying on full conversations with someone in her room, including pauses, then laughing, as if she were listening and responding to someone who was there. In her last year, my mom often had difficulty communicating verbally and remembering things. But in those one-way conversations I overheard, she seemed fully engaged and conversant. I went in once and asked who she was talking to, and she said, “Harry. It’s Harry. He’s standing right there.” She pointed towards the foot of her bed. Harry was her older brother who had passed a couple years prior. Interestingly enough, she and Harry had never been very close in life; my mom and her younger sister (who had passed three years previously) had been the ones who were close. Harry had been older and had always done his own thing and been more distant. So it was interesting that she claimed it was he who was visiting her.

Another time when I asked who she was talking to, she said, “The girl standing right there.”

As I mentioned in an earlier post, for most of her life, my mom was extremely skeptical about spirits and such, even though when I was a kid, we had to go to church every Sunday.

So yes, I definitely believe that towards the end of life, the veil becomes thin, or the person’s consciousness is partly in-between, and loved ones and guides come around, or simply become more noticeable.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thank you, Jim & please accept my condolences on your father and mother as well.
I always think back about the Bible in Daniel, about the Prince of Persia, The Prince of Greece, Gabriel, Michael.......yeah, there's a lot of things going on that we cannot see. What we witnessed with our parents and me with my 4 and 2 year old niece and nephew are just the tip of the iceberg......in a way....
James Y

Post by James Y »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:18 pm
Thank you, Jim & please accept my condolences on your father and mother as well.
I always think back about the Bible in Daniel, about the Prince of Persia, The Prince of Greece, Gabriel, Michael.......yeah, there's a lot of things going on that we cannot see. What we witnessed with our parents and me with my 4 and 2 year old niece and nephew are just the tip of the iceberg......in a way....

You’re welcome, and thank you, MacLaren.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mrballen's videos have definitely caught my attention lately. So much good stuff!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:38 pm
Mrballen's videos have definitely caught my attention lately. So much good stuff!!

Absolutely! I just recently discovered his YouTube channel, and he is one of the best storytellers of true strange stories/accounts.

Here is one that he just posted today:

“Don’t Go Hiking In Japan’s Bamboo Valley”

https://youtu.be/wekABO_hraI

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Same here, I found his channel a couple months ago and became very intrigued by his series "Places people cant go but went anyway" and his "Disappearance" videos. He will recap many different stories but often shares stories from a book called "Missing 411" by David Paulides. There are usually mysterious details in the stories such as people traveling great distances through the wilderness in a timespan that would seem impossible or people just vanishing in the wilderness without trace.

At first, I wasn't sure what to make of these stories but the more I watched, I began to notice reoccurring details in the stories and got the sense that the author, David Paulides, might be insinuating many of these disappearances can be attributed to bigfoot. Sure enough, when I googled Paulides, I found that he has also written two different books on bigfoot. Which is an immediate source of skepticism for me. I still find the stories interesting though and I have definitely noticed myself thinking about the wilderness stories while I'm out backpacking and end up psyching myself out a little bit. LOL

I don't mean to discount the legitimacy of the stories he tells but I can't help but feel like the stories inthe book "Missing 411" were cherrypicked by Paulides because there are details that could fit the bigfoot narrative. Which in itself is something I'm skeptical of but do not dismiss entirely. I've heard theories that bigfoot is actually a paranormal creature and can transcend dimensions but I really know nothing about the subject.

Also, I watched that "Bamboo Valley" video today and it was really interesting.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:59 pm
Same here, I found his channel a couple months ago and became very intrigued by his series "Places people cant go but went anyway" and his "Disappearance" videos. He will recap many different stories but often shares stories from a book called "Missing 411" by David Paulides. There are usually mysterious details in the stories such as people traveling great distances through the wilderness in a timespan that would seem impossible or people just vanishing in the wilderness without trace.

At first, I wasn't sure what to make of these stories but the more I watched, I began to notice reoccurring details in the stories and got the sense that the author, David Paulides, might be insinuating many of these disappearances can be attributed to bigfoot. Sure enough, when I googled Paulides, I found that he has also written two different books on bigfoot. Which is an immediate source of skepticism for me. I still find the stories interesting though and I have definitely noticed myself thinking about the wilderness stories while I'm out backpacking and end up psyching myself out a little bit. LOL

I don't mean to discount the legitimacy of the stories he tells but I can't help but feel like the stories inthe book "Missing 411" were cherrypicked by Paulides because there are details that could fit the bigfoot narrative. Which in itself is something I'm skeptical of but do not dismiss entirely. I've heard theories that bigfoot is actually a paranormal creature and can transcend dimensions but I really know nothing about the subject.

Also, I watched that "Bamboo Valley" video today and it was really interesting.

Hi, Nick! Thanks for sharing. I have read accounts (not from David Paulides) from people who “almost disappeared” under unusual and creepy circumstances in wilderness areas. Some have claimed that the familiar surroundings and the landscape they were in completely changed from one moment to the next, becoming completely unrecognizable. In most such reports, just prior to such experiences, everything suddenly went completely silent.

With David Paulides, there is a lot of misleading and outright false information online about him. Yes, he has written some books on Bigfoot, but he does not, and has never, implied that bigfoot was responsible for any of the missing in his 411 books. He has clarified that numerous times. There are a lot of people with agendas of their own online who spread misinformation about Paulides, and many others who believe the misinformation and pass it on, without actually going straight to the source: David Paulides himself. There are also a lot of fake “missing 411” channels on YouTube that have no connection to, nor approval from, David Paulides. His only YouTube channel is “Canam Missing Project.” There was another thread on Missing 411 on this forum sometime back that was started by another member here, that ended up having some people character assassinating Paulides from false information spread on the internet. Which is exactly why I wrote the highlighted portion in the very first post of this thread.

There are tons of people who spread false information about David Paulides without ever having actually read any of his books. If they did, they would see that there is absolutely no inferences to any Bigfoot connection. Even the Wikipedia page about David Paulides is suspect. Wikipedia is an example of not being the most reliable information. The skeptics Kyle Polich and Susan Gerbic, who were quoted on Paulides’ Wikipedia page, clearly had NOT actually read any of Paulides’ work, or if they did, they cherry-picked and twisted it as they wanted to see it.

I don’t always agree with Paulides on some of the world views he seems to have, such as people who possess both higher education levels and athletic ability are “studs,” and are more important to society than the rest. Many of the disappeared do seem to fall into that category (high intellect and athletic ability). But he is nothing if not detail-oriented in his research.

The missing cases he includes in his research have to meet certain criteria, but they have nothing to do with a Bigfoot theory. IMO, the best way to understand what the 411 books are about is to see about checking one out from a library, for free. If the library doesn’t have a copy of one, ask if there is a way to transfer a copy from another library. This is what Paulides himself recommends doing. But I am NOT going to use this thread to vouch for David Paulides; if people really want to gain some understanding of his missing 411 cases *from the source*, they can check out his official YouTube channel highlighted above; he has a bunch of content up for free. And ignore the other channels with “missing 411” in their names.

Note: The past few months have been extremely difficult for Mr. Paulides, as his adult son committed suicide, and he’s been discussing that and the importance of mental health care in parts of his recent videos.

If I’m not mistaken, Mr. Ballen is one of the very few (possibly only one or two) YouTubers who may actually have Paulides’ permission to use his content.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Here is a link to an article, “The Almost Vanished: Lured Into The Woods By Strange Forces.”

These are several accounts from Missing 411 Reddit forums, which have NO connection to David Paulides and his official 411 site, but there seems to be an element of truth to them. I’m not saying they ARE true, but *IF* they are, many of the missing in the actual 411 cases may have encountered forces in the wilderness that are FAR more bizarre, and much scarier than any Bigfoot (which David Paulides has never suggested has any involvement, anyway).

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2020/05/ ... ge-forces/

Jim
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I apologize if what I said sounded like ridicule of David Paulides and his work, that was not my intention. I was just expressing a feeling I got after watching the second hand recounts from Mr. Ballen. Admittedly, I have never actually read any of Paulides work and am only familiar with him because of Mr. Ballens videos. I really should look into the Missing 411 books for myself. I spend so much time alone in the wilderness that I cant help but be fascinated by the stories he shares.

I believe you are correct about Mr. Ballen being granted permission to share stories from Missing 411, which I why I was using his recounted versions as a stepping stone to better understand the actual books. I assumed he would be portraying the stories as accurately as possible but there's no way for me to know without reading the book.

I just read that "Almost vanished" article you shared and it hit home reading about the events that took place in the same area I prefer to hike, New Hampshire! One story I found really interesting was the story about the boy and his dog. Similar to what you guys were saying about children being a bit more sensitive to paranormal experiences than many adults, I have always held the belief that some animals (dogs) are also capable of seeing and experiencing such things. This particular story seemed like a perfect example of that.

There is a Native American myth that dogs with two colored eyes have the ability to view heaven and earth.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:11 am
I apologize if what I said sounded like ridicule of David Paulides and his work, that was not my intention. I was just expressing a feeling I got after watching the second hand recounts from Mr. Ballen. Admittedly, I have never actually read any of Paulides work and am only familiar with him because of Mr. Ballens videos. I really should look into the Missing 411 books for myself. I spend so much time alone in the wilderness that I cant help but be fascinated by the stories he shares.

I believe you are correct about Mr. Ballen being granted permission to share stories from Missing 411, which I why I was using his recounted versions as a stepping stone to better understand the actual books. I assumed he would be portraying the stories as accurately as possible but there's no way for me to know without reading the book.

I just read that "Almost vanished" article you shared and it hit home reading about the events that took place in the same area I prefer to hike, New Hampshire! One story I found really interesting was the story about the boy and his dog. Similar to what you guys were saying about children being a bit more sensitive to paranormal experiences than many adults, I have always held the belief that some animals (dogs) are also capable of seeing and experiencing such things. This particular story seemed like a perfect example of that.

There is a Native American myth that dogs with two colored eyes have the ability to view heaven and earth.

Thanks, Nick. There is no need to apologize. I simply wanted to point out to be wary of second-or-third-hand information spread online about certain individuals that then becomes like gospel. I don’t mean to shill for David Paulides; I just know that he puts a ton of research into each and every case he presents, sometimes even traveling long distances to personally investigate some disappearance locations to see for himself.

One thing I WILL warn you about is, if you choose to actually purchase any of his Missing 411 books, to never buy them from Amazon, something that Paulides warns people about all the time. He’s had big problems with unscrupulous people buying his books legitimately from him, then without his knowledge, reselling them on Amazon at ridiculously jacked-up prices (as in hundreds of dollars). The only place to buy the Missing 411 books is the store on Paulides’ own site, nabigfootsearch.com. Again, I am not shilling for him and I have no connection to him, I just hate misinformation, and I hate scam artists taking advantage of others, which creates even more misinformation. I’m particularly sensitive about false information and slander, because many, many years ago, someone spread totally made-up information about me that was completely bogus, that ruined my reputation to a few people I knew (luckily, not many of them) who believed it. And that was a looong time before social media, where false information can now spread worldwide, like a virus.

That is very interesting about the Native American myth. Yes, I do believe that dogs (and cats) can see and/or sense such things far better than people can as a whole.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

“Top 3 Scariest Forest Encounters”

https://youtu.be/fLs9za4X08E

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

A Little Poltergeist Incident.

This happened in my room when I lived in Taiwan. This incident happened during the final hours of Ghost Month (or Ghost Festival) in Taiwan, in 1991. For anyone who’s curious, Ghost Month Taiwan (or Ghost Festival) is easy to Google.

During the wee hours of the morning, probably around 4:00 a.m. I was in my bed, when I heard some scratching sounds around my desk area, the nearest corner of which was only a couple of feet away from the head of my bed. I sat up and turned on the light, thinking it might be a cockroach that had gotten into my room. Staring at the desk towards where I’d heard the sounds, I sat for a few seconds. On the desk were two stacks; one was a stack of newspapers about 18 inches high. Next to that was another stack of thick Taiwanese news magazines, also around 18 inches high.

Suddenly, the newspaper stack pushed downwards in the center, accompanied by a loud “Whack!” A split second later, the top half of the magazine stack was knocked halfway across my room onto the floor, also with a loud “Whack!” sound. It was as if an angry person had slapped both stacks; the newspaper stack straight downwards, and the magazine stack at an angle, knocking the top half of the magazines off at an angle onto the floor. So the speed that both strikes happened at was “Whack-whack!”

I just sat there on my bed for a couple seconds, then stupidly looked up at the ceiling, to see if any water had somehow leaked through and had dripped onto the stacks. But the weather was not rainy, and it was not windy. I had all my windows closed. I also didn’t have any air conditioning, and my fan wasn’t on. I realized it was some sort of poltergeist phenomena.

I wasn’t scared at all; in fact, I was a bit relieved that it hadn’t been a cockroach. I hate cockroaches; admittedly, I’m far more afraid of a cockroach crawling on to me in my sleep (which had happened one time a few years earlier, also in Taiwan) than any type of spirit entity.

After sitting there for a few more seconds, I thought in my mind, “OK.” Then I laid back down on my bed. Though I had initially left the light on for a bit. After nothing else happened after several more minutes, I turned the light off and fell asleep again. I’d left the scattered news magazines on the floor, and picked them up the next morning.

That was the only poltergeist activity I ever experienced in that room, and I lived there for years. And most of the time, I was the only person who lived on that entire 6th floor. I figured it was probably some entity just passing by. If I had been the type of person who freaks out at something like that, I firmly believe that the activity could very well have persisted, and even escalated.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow. That is intense. I don't know if I would be afraid, awestruck, or both, but it would sure get my attention. I know I'd have goosebumps. I would embrace an experience like that more than dread it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:17 pm
Wow. That is intense. I don't know if I would be afraid, awestruck, or both, but it would sure get my attention. I know I'd have goosebumps. I would embrace an experience like that more than dread it.

Hi, cabfrank!

The interesting thing was that those two stacks were struck with considerable force, which AFAIK takes a lot of energy for a nonphysical being to accomplish. Yet while I found it interesting, I also felt almost nonchalant about it. I acknowledged the entity by mentally saying, “OK,” respectfully. IMO, they can read your thoughts or intent. And it never happened again. In this particular instance, perhaps some type of acknowledgement was all it had wanted.

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Maybe. I wish we knew more about this stuff, but perhaps we know all we are supposed to.
James Y

Post by James Y »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:01 pm
Maybe. I wish we knew more about this stuff, but perhaps we know all we are supposed to.

I think you’re right. We can only guess at whatever motives there may be. For example, I’ve seen a couple shows where someone or other is named as a “paranormal expert,” which IMO is an oxymoron. While there are some people who may have more knowledge and awareness about such things through their own experiences, I don’t believe there are any true experts in this subject, as far as knowing everything about it. I, personally, can only share any experiences I’ve had, but I cannot really explain with certainty the how’s or the why’s. There are many who have had much more extensive experiences than I have who still can’t cannot answer those questions.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

“Music Executive Attacked By Shadow Person”

Several years ago, a former coworker from Brazil told me that when he was 17 back in Brazil, his family lived in a huge house on a rural property in a cleared area in the wilderness. He told me that a witch, supposedly hired by a person who had a financial conflict with his parents, had put a curse on his family’s property. He told me some of the scary things that occurred there, including sightings of ‘shadow people,’ until they were able to hire a shaman (or another witch), who was able to find the cursed object or charm that the other ‘witch’ had hidden on their property. I won’t go into any more details of his story, many of which were pretty creepy. He seemed a little embarrassed about it, because he said he’d been so scared that he’d slept on the floor of his parents’ bedroom (at the age of 17) before the issue was resolved.

https://youtu.be/VAVdSimVe_A

Jim