Have you ever been ashamed of a knife you bought?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Have you ever been ashamed of a knife you bought?

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:34 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:41 pm
I have an identical 'NATO' switchblade that I purchased from a street vendor in Budapest in 1994.
DUDE! You could have a matched pair!!!
Whatever the Hungarian charged you, I'll let you have this one for half that!
I'm not sure what you'd do with 50 Forints. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This guy right here, was one of the very first knives I ever bought with my own money and to this day I still can't believe my mother actually allowed it.

:hand-over-mouth
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:36 am
This guy right here, was one of the very first knives I ever bought with my own money and to this day I still can't believe my mother actually allowed it.

:hand-over-mouth
I love mine :heart-flaming Hahaha, love these new emojis
r719UOJh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

No, I can’t say I’ve ever been ashamed on a knife purchase. However, I’ve had buyer’s remorse on several occasions… Like the time I was the high bidder on a NIB Jot Singh Khalsa. I won the bid, but severely overpaid for it. Ugh. Another time, I was bidding on a NIB C15 Terzuola but another person kept out-bidding me. I finally gave up and stopped bidding, having learned my lesson on the Khalsa. I later learned that my wife was the other bidder a d she was trying to secretly buy the knife for me for Christmas. 🤦🏼‍♂️
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:12 pm
No, I can’t say I’ve ever been ashamed on a knife purchase. However, I’ve had buyer’s remorse on several occasions… Like the time I was the high bidder on a NIB Jot Singh Khalsa. I won the bid, but severely overpaid for it. Ugh. Another time, I was bidding on a NIB C15 Terzuola but another person kept out-bidding me. I finally gave up and stopped bidding, having learned my lesson on the Khalsa. I later learned that my wife was the other bidder a d she was trying to secretly buy the knife for me for Christmas. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Priceless! You are such a lucky guy. ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:20 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:12 pm
Priceless! You are such a lucky guy. ;)
Haha! Thanks, man! When I found out that she was the other bidder she said, “I knew you had said you always wanted this knife, but I wanted to get it for you. I kept hoping you’d stop bidding!” 😂 She’s a keeper for sure!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:05 pm
What was I thinking? Bought this in the mid to late 90’s. The lock doesn’t engage all the way, the lock bar is silly thin, they put the word “press” on the lock bar because they figured anybody dumb enough to buy this thing couldn’t figure out how to unlock it, the steel is 440a, it doesn’t have a pocket clip, the serrations suck and it’s model name was The Beast. It’s saving grace is that I believe it is made in the USA. I think I was 19 years old and wandering around Walmart drunk. I can’t believe I still have it. I actually keep it on top of my gun safe as a reminder of my youth.

I'm even ashamed, Darby. :winking-tongue
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have some Gil Hibben designs that are pretty cringe worthy. Uber mall-ninja.

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Not one knife in particular, but I'm embarrassed to take a photo of my whole collection now, as it seems quite excessive when they are all together.
James Y

Post by James Y »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:41 pm
Not one knife in particular, but I'm embarrassed to take a photo of my whole collection now, as it seems quite excessive when they are all together.

I can kind of relate. I certainly have WAY more knives than I “need”. ;)

One good thing about (most) knives, at least if they are folders, is that unlike some collectibles that people accumulate, knives are fairly compact and take up relatively little space. Unless maybe they’re kept in display cases or something (mine are not).

Jim
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ Agreed. It's relatively easy to stuff folders in various nooks and crannies around the house. One day you just realize you've got a substantial collection.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:02 pm
...I can always liquidate a bunch and spend the money on something else I enjoy.

This. I have a lot of knives, and my fascination began very early on (5 y.o.) I have an older brother so when he got knives I got knives. Buck, schrade, case etc...there are a few that I picked up at flea markets with "my own money" in the 90's but don't know where they ended up and wouldn't be ashamed, because I was learning what quality meant.

As an adult I try to make a very conscious effort to only buy quality items that will outlive their monetary value in a given point in time. Obviously this doesn't work out most times, but they still retain significant value, enough so that I don't feel ashamed about the purchase, only regretful.

The most regretful knife purchase I have ever made happened to be a Spyderco. I had a pre-cqi Advocate, loved it, and actually created the thread that blew up and lead to it being removed from the market and CQI'd (plus the Apostle P video probably didn't help). During that time I used and had no regrets about my purchase. After the CQI versions came out I held off because my pre-CQI knife worked fine...well, I caved. I bought a CQI Advocate that I didn't need and within a month they were discontinued and knife dealers were trying to give them away. I've still got it, I guess it's a great back up blade, but it was just a case of throwing away money on something I didn't need and that immediately lost half of it's monetary value.
So it goes.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:27 am
The most regretful knife purchase I have ever made happened to be a Spyderco. I had a pre-cqi Advocate, loved it, and actually created the thread that blew up and lead to it being removed from the market and CQI'd (plus the Apostle P video probably didn't help). During that time I used and had no regrets about my purchase. After the CQI versions came out I held off because my pre-CQI knife worked fine...well, I caved. I bought a CQI Advocate that I didn't need and within a month they were discontinued and knife dealers were trying to give them away. I've still got it, I guess it's a great back up blade, but it was just a case of throwing away money on something I didn't need and that immediately lost half of it's monetary value.
At the risk of a little thread derail...

I don't understand why you think the CQI Advocate lost any of it's monetary value? I could see the pre-CQI one losing value (one thing I dislike about CQI) but the CQI one should bring a reasonable amount on the secondary market

National Knives actually has them in stock still on their website and ebay store. They're selling them for $247 which should be MAP

It was cool when I met GB at a gunshow in Dallas. It was actually a Bladesports event they were holding in a side room. I got to handle the prototype for a Advocate back lock. Handling that knife is what made me decide to buy the frame-lock version. That's one knife purchase I'm definitely not ashamed of
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:14 am

I hear you, and I think that the Advocate is a great knife. I'll hold on to both of them. Half of it's value was a bit dramatic on my part...

I paid full retail $257 at a brick and mortar, so with tax I guess I dropped $275 on it...after being discontinued a month later they were selling for around $185 at the stores that were clearing them out, and even less on the secondary market.

Once again, it wasn't/isn't a knife I'm ashamed of buying at all, but I definitely regret the timing of my purchase, especially since the one I already had worked great.
So it goes.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:19 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:14 am

I hear you, and I think that the Advocate is a great knife. I'll hold on to both of them. Half of it's value was a bit dramatic on my part...

I paid full retail $257 at a brick and mortar, so with tax I guess I dropped $275 on it...after being discontinued a month later they were selling for around $185 at the stores that were clearing them out, and even less on the secondary market.

Once again, it wasn't/isn't a knife I'm ashamed of buying at all, but I definitely regret the timing of my purchase, especially since the one I already had worked great.
Yeah sometimes the timing works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't. I've got some incredible deals at times and some not so great deals. I think it all evens out. I'm pretty sure if you hang on to those GBs and keep them in decent shape the value will increase over time. Your post has reminded me of how much I like all my GB models and need to get them in my pocket. One regret I do have is not buying a GB Air when they were readily available. My hope now is that they come out with a Air 2 that has a small pocket clip/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:32 pm
Yeah sometimes the timing works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't. I've got some incredible deals at times and some not so great deals. I think it all evens out. I'm pretty sure if you hang on to those GBs and keep them in decent shape the value will increase over time. Your post has reminded me of how much I like all my GB models and need to get them in my pocket. One regret I do have is not buying a GB Air when they were readily available. My hope now is that they come out with a Air 2 that has a small pocket clip/

Yeah, Gayle is one of my favorite designers for sure. I've got the 2-Advocates, 2-GB1's, Air, Junction & Bowie...when I see a GB2 in good condition at a good price I'm sure I'll grab one of those as well. I'm undecided on the Nightstick, I really don't have a practical use for it...but it's a cool design and I'm sure it's much more functional than it looks.

I've posted about it before, but I was born in Weatherford and my family is from that area so I'm definitely a little biased... ;)
So it goes.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The only "old" knife that is in my family is a Randall Model 14 that I sold my brother from 94. All of my other knives have been acquired over the last 5 years. There may be 2 or 3 knives that I received and felt that they could be better but they are all pretty good!

Not ashamed of any of them, and I'd be glad to give them away to family if they needed a knife for anything.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:17 pm
The only "old" knife that is in my family is a Randall Model 14 that I sold my brother from 94. All of my other knives have been acquired over the last 5 years. There may be 2 or 3 knives that I received and felt that they could be better but they are all pretty good!

Not ashamed of any of them, and I'd be glad to give them away to family if they needed a knife for anything.
I tried to PM you but it wasn't working for some reason. I was thinking 2:20 o clock instead of 3:00 o clock, let me know if that would work for you.
:unicorn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:58 am
I’m ashamed my addiction has just led me to buying a Shiro. LOL just kidding, no I’m not!
LOL - sorry, not sorry! I feel the same. Life's too short not to carry a sweet knife in your pocket every day. :smlling-eyes
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

When I was 17 or so I taught guitar lessons around town for $20/hour. One of the first things I bought for myself was an $18 pocket knife from the local army surplus + workwear store. Cheap liner lock made in China - I think the thumb stub fell off within a week.

I remember buying a few knives & swords from the BudK Catalog with a buddy. We threw them at wooden targets, and most broke within a few sessions.

I bought a few Frost Cutlery frame lock knives on eBay around the same time - I think it was $5.99 for 6 knives, each with a slightly different blade shape. I gave some away, kept some, and carried one or two. They were ridiculous obtuse and poorly made.

I bought a few knives from a gun show once - one was a "SHarper" brand drop-point hunter which claimed to be "440 Stainless," and the other was a bizarre pantographic knife which was labelled a "paratrooper knife." I actually carried both of these for a few years - the pantographic knife was lost at some point, the hunter I still have somewhere.

I carried a Buck 110 knockoff made by Schrade for a few years. Always said I'd upgrade to the real thing, but haven't yet.

I've bought some lesser quality kitchen knives over the years as well, but nothing quite as bad as these guys.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.