Fishing Tackle: Time For A Serious Discussion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Fishing Tackle: Time For A Serious Discussion

Post by Naperville »

I have been fishing in decades. Used to do it several times a year as a kid and a teen, but nothing lately.

Now, as a prepper, I'd like to live somewhere where the fish are just humping out of the water ready to be caught.

Wherever I retire to, I'd like to be near a decent well stocked lake or stream. Maybe a 10 minute drive max.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I bought my neices and nephews the Shakespeare spin bait rods, they did all right with them.

I like SHIMANO spin reels, and cheap Amazon carbon fiber rods. I have not gone wrong with this combo. “The tug is the drug.”
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:45 pm
I have been fishing in decades. Used to do it several times a year as a kid and a teen, but nothing lately.

Now, as a prepper, I'd like to live somewhere where the fish are just humping out of the water ready to be caught.

Wherever I retire to, I'd like to be near a decent well stocked lake or stream. Maybe a 10 minute drive max.

With fish as plentiful as this?

https://youtu.be/Ax9CpSw4Lto

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:45 pm

With fish as plentiful as this?

https://youtu.be/Ax9CpSw4Lto

Jim
She has it down!

Those little crickets are excellent bait in that stream.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:18 pm
I bought my neices and nephews the Shakespeare spin bait rods, they did all right with them.

I like SHIMANO spin reels, and cheap Amazon carbon fiber rods. I have not gone wrong with this combo. “The tug is the drug.”
I've never owned or used any "Shimano" fishing reels but I've heard good about them. I've heard some of their older stuff that was made 10 years ago is really good quality gear. Also the Diawa brand has about equal quality for Japanese made equipment.

I'm hoping that Brother BLOKE will chime in at some point. I would love to know what fishing equipment they use "Down Under" in Australia. I do know that DAM Quick used to be popular down there but haven't heard much lately.

I would also love to know what is popular north of the border in Canada. GOD knows they have some of the best fresh water fishing on the planet in the spring and summer.
max808

Post by max808 »

So glad this thread is gaining traction again, looking forward to catching my first fish this spring and so many reels & rods to try so keep em coming. For now all I have is this hoboreel my buddy in the UK made for me. Will not consider proper tackle before I catch me a lil fish on this setup.
hoboreelmax001.jpg
Plenty of vintage poppers to try from my sniping missions on eBay :winking-tongue so I'll focus on terminal tackle for now. Here's another crusty one, maker unknown but fits in nicely with my southbend exhibit...
orenogenericfrog001.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Popper imitating a bee or moth presumably made of cork and feathers, age unknown, origin USA, it came to me from a reputable source in Las Vegas who do this for fun and get rid of any overflow that way.
popperUSAmoth1001.jpg
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

max808 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:12 am

hoboreelmax001.jpg

Plenty of vintage poppers to try from my sniping missions on eBay :winking-tongue so I'll focus on terminal tackle for now. Here's another crusty one, maker unknown but fits in nicely with my southbend exhibit...

orenogenericfrog001.jpg
Kinda looks like a Heddon Lucky 13.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Some pretty funky old lures there fellas. :cheap-sunglasses

Here in Oz there are basically two camps, Shimano and Daiwa. I sit in the Shimano camp for reels though I think Daiwa do make some excellent rods.

When I was younger we fished the ocean rock in local competitions and only ever used Alvey side cast reels and I still have a whole heap but they’re at Mum and Dad’s place so I have no pics to post. The only exception was a overhead Shimano Speedmaster for tossing sliced metal lures from pelagics, Kingfish, Bonito and other Tuna and Mackerel.

I always target a specific species and for years I targeted our Luderick. They’re a vegetarian so we baited with ribbon weed from the rocks we fished from under a float at about a rod’s length about 10-12’ and used floating line and a centre pin reel.

These days I’m happy walking the bays and estuaries tossing soft plastics and targeting our Flathead.

Old photo but these are the three latest Shimano reels I’ve bought. The Stella is spooled with 23lb line, the Stradic with 6lb and the Complex with 4lb.

This is my old (English) Grice & Young, Avon Royal, Centre Pin loaded with 6lb line and I couldn’t possibly count how many Luderick it’s caught. They’re the benchmark for Luderick fishermen but they stopped making them decades ago so they’re much prized. I’ve always maintained this one, it shows it’s age but it’s as good today as the day I bought it and I’ve had many offers to sell it.

And a stock photo of our Luderick. :smlling-eyes

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
max808

Post by max808 »

Thanks for the tip Skeeg11, will compare from pictures cuz I don't own many Heddons.

Impressive Bloke and great inspiration. That reel looks the bizness... which is your favorite fly pattern for these Luderick monsters or does it even matter all that much where you live?
max808

Post by max808 »

Here's a couple more...
popperUSAwasp1001.jpg
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That’s what it’s like here in the US too, Bloke. Shimano an Daiwa are the two big brands here when you want a well made reel. I’ve found myself firmly in the Shimano camp.

That’s an impressive lineup of reels you have. I’m not familiar with the Complex though, I don’t know if that ones readily available in the US market. The Stradic is still available here but it was effectively replaced by the “Vanford.”

The Stella is an incredible reel. It is often recommended for Striper fishing here in the Cape Cod Canal. The currents are so strong that you really need some tough competent gear to muscle in some of the bigger fish against the current and the Stella is one of the best spinning reels currently available.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

max808 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm
Impressive Bloke and great inspiration. That reel looks the bizness... which is your favorite fly pattern for these Luderick monsters or does it even matter all that much where you live?
Hi and Thanks max. I’ve only fished for Luderick with weed for bait under a float but I’ve caught them as bycatch on the bottom, fishing for Bream with peeled prawns which you call shrimp and cunjie (cunjevoi), again fishing the bottom, for Black Drummer. I don’t know if you have cunjie in the US.

Anyhow, I did a search and found a few flies for them and I think it’s a relative new way and by accounts, a productive in catching them.

One of the many flies I found searching. :smiling-cheeks

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Okay, I could discuss fishing tackle for days. I like the new stuff, the vintage stuff, U.S.-made, foreign-made, spinners, baitcasters, lures, natural bait, saltwater, freshwater, wade, jetty, beach, kayak...

I grew up in Houston, fishing on the coast and in the lakes of southeast Texas. For most of my life I lived in Fort Worth, and fished mostly local lakes and stock tanks. Since I moved to Galveston, it's been strictly saltwater. I'm a 2-minute drive from the Gulf, 10 minutes from the bay. I don't have a boat, and I don't target "big," or offshore fish.

Over the years, I've used more ABU-Garcia and Shimano reels than any other. I have my share of Daiwa and Penn, but they don't get nearly as much use. As for rods, it's been mostly G.Loomis, Shimano, St. Croix, and All-Star. I like throwing lures more than bait, but I'll be the first to admit it's usually not as effective. I think I like it more because I enjoy the equipment as much as I enjoy catching and eating fish!

Over the past year, I've rebuilt over a dozen vintage ABU-Garcia round reels. My take on rebuilt vintage baitcasters is that they perform almost as well as modern baitcasters, are a little tougher, and are much easier to work on. To me, this means it's a tossup as to which I use. I love them both, and use them equally. (But if you upgrade them too much, they take on the characteristics of modern reels, become more finicky, and require more maintenance.)

My take on vintage spinners is that they don't perform as well as modern spinners, but are tougher and much easier to work on. I love the old ones because of their ruggedness and nostalgia value, but I never use them. I always pick up a recent-production Shimano or Daiwa. If I plan to fish for several hours, I always use modern equipment -- it's so much lighter! This it true of both spinners and baitcasters.

I use braid exclusively, except for leaders. A typical setup is a 3000-sized Shimano spinning reel, spooled with 10-15-lb braid, on a 7'-8' Loomis medium or med-light rod. Or an Ambassadeur ProMax 1600 spooled with 20-lb braid on a 6 1/2' - 7 1/2' Loomis or St Croix rod. I throw 1/4-3/4 oz lures, for the most part. I'd say 1/3 lipless crankbaits, 1/3 spoons, and 1/3 soft plastics.

The targeted species are spotted seatrout ("specks"), red drum (redfish or "reds"), black drum, flounder, and Spanish mackerel. There are often small sharks and various less desirable fish around, too. Using natural bait rather than lures at least triples the number of species likely to be caught.

Maybe I'll post up a few pics of the vintage and modern reels and lures I use.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hi and Thanks Nick. The Complex isn’t available on the Australian market either, mate. A mate of mine bought it for me on a trip to Japan. It’s a 2500 like the Stradic with a very shallow spool allowing the use of ultra light line without having to use a whole heap of backing line.

It also allows you the option to back wind by flicking a little “switch” underneath just behind the rotor as you may see in the photo. Not really necessary but still a nice option.

It’s actually a really nice reel with a couple more bearings than the Stradic, I think, and what I’ve used to catch some hefty carp.

The Stella is a beast and as you may well know they all come in different gear ratios. For the 5000 series: 4.6:1 (PG), 5.7:1 (HG) and 6.2:1 (XG) Mine is a 5000HG. Unfortunately it’s seen very little use. Primarily because I don’t have a boat and need to rely on unreliable mates, the Covid thing hadn’t allowed me to go see mates up north and I can’t see too much value in dinging up a $AU1000+ reel on the rocks, plus I don’t have a long rock rod to suite it anyhow. :winking-tongue
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

st croix is definitely my go to! I usually go med fast action 6feet6 inches up to 6 feet 11 inches is good or most applications.
Either Daiwa or shimano is the way to go as for reels! Can't go wrong!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, I grew up using Zebco's but, now I use an Ugly Stick with a Shakespeare Reel -from Wal-Mart and, all I really need. I suppose fishing gear is just as much or more of a rabbit hole than guns and holsters and all that crap, lol......the very last thing I need is another rabbit hole, lol....
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

huyfishin wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:29 pm
st croix is definitely my go to! I usually go med fast action 6feet6 inches up to 6 feet 11 inches is good or most applications.
Either Daiwa or shimano is the way to go as for reels! Can't go wrong!
huy, we used to have a St Croix distributor here but no more. I built all my own rods from my early 20’s. I’d buy the reel and blank together and generally Fuji reel seats and SiC guides, best quality hypalon grips and balance everything up, cast test etc. then bind everything up on the blanks backbone with A grade thread. Very satisfying.

Before I bought the last two rods (Shimano Zodias) I searched high and low for a St Croix SCV, 7’-6”, line wgt 4-10lb, lure wgt 1/8-3/8oz, extra fast blank to no avail. Getting one from the US wasn’t economical viable so I gave up and bought off the shelf.

Once upon a time you could walk into a tackle shop here and you had near unlimited choice of blanks but with cheap imported rods flooding the market it all died. Today you need to check twenty rods off the shelf before you find one with guides bound close to the blanks backbone.

It’s a shame but just a sign of the times I s’pose and most people wouldn’t even know that blanks have a natural backbone and think nothing of the rod twisting in their hand as it loads up.

Anyhow, ignorance is bliss. Ah, hahaha! :eye-roll
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I usually end up stripping the guides off and doing a layout to suit my reels and needs....even GLX rods with wire Recoil guides especially. And Yes, a rod's spine is important.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max808

Post by max808 »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:46 pm
max808 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm
Hi and Thanks max. I’ve only fished for Luderick with weed for bait under a float but I’ve caught them as bycatch on the bottom, fishing for Bream with peeled prawns which you call shrimp and cunjie (cunjevoi), again fishing the bottom, for Black Drummer. I don’t know if you have cunjie in the US.

Anyhow, I did a search and found a few flies for them and I think it’s a relative new way and by accounts, a productive in catching them.

One of the many flies I found searching. :smiling-cheeks

You got it Bloke, so weeds and shrimp seem to be working well for you, like my buddy's been telling me for years about live bait and how it's superior to any artificial bait, actually calling me crazy for collecting lures when nature provides everything we need for a great catch.

I just think there's something most noble about working a manmade object to deceive a predator into taking his last bite. Next thing you know dinner's served like it probably was a hundred millennia ago. Except we now have kit/stuff/gear to add to the vast wealth of knowledge that's been accumulated over time.

Enough talk, it's about time I take that custom maxPRO+ :cheap-sunglasses for a spin and put that theory into practice. I'm thinking one of these on a warm evening around dusk will do the trick.
Happy Easter Bloke!

max
mothfly001.jpg