Other Favorite Knife Brands? At Least 3 or 4 Please?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Other Favorite Knife Brands? At Least 3 or 4 Please?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well it goes without saying that my favorite commercially produced knives have Spydie's logo on them. Spyderco didn't start out being my favorite but shortly after I got my first one I checked a few of their other models and the addiction took hold from that point on. However over the years I've come to appreciate some of the other commercially made folders and fixed blades and some of them . But since I've spoiled myself on many of Spyderco's best I've gotten extremely picky over the years.

The Swiss company Klotzli immediately comes to mind when I think about quality units that I would carry if Spyderco's stuff wasn't available. Klotzli has superb quality and many of their designs are super intriguing. I just wish they were more available and more popular here in the USA. Other cutlery companies that come to mind are Boker, Al Mar, and Ontario. If I wasn't EDCing a Spyderco folder I would probably be carrying one of Klotzli's finer models. I've always admired Swiss and German quality.

Oh there are other top grade knives out there on the market but thank GOD I haven't had to check them out. I would like to know some of the other brands of cutlery you all like other than Spyderco. And try to name off at least 3 or 4 of them so we can get an idea of what you really like in the cutlery world?
gac

Re: Other Favorite Knife Brands? At Least 3 or 4 Please?

Post by gac »

I've bought 4 Mora knives and they work very well. I bought three of the basic models and also a Kansbol.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gac wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:09 pm
I've bought 4 Mora knives and they work very well. I bought three of the basic models and also a Kansbol.
Those Frost Mora, Swedish made fixed blades may be the best bang out there for the dollar. Especially for someone who has been ravaged by this COVID debacle. I don't see a better fixed blade out there for the price. Hey does Mora make a folder?

Fallkniven is another Swedish brand I've watched closely over the years. The quality is really decent with that company as well.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like too many knives to select just a few brands, and if I had the money I'd be buying a lot of unique bladesmith work too.

I cannot really be of much help on this. I already have 90 knives and must have 250+ new knives on a list from manufacturers and bladesmiths that I keep and when I get money sometimes I hit that list to simplify the purchase!

Ahhhhhhhh..... okay okay okay....

- Spyderco
- RMJ
- SOG
- Bastinelli
- Hinderer
- Spartan
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe,

I own knives from many other brands; Victorinox, Chris Reeve, Benchmade, Cold Steel, SOG, Al Mar, Kershaw/ZT, Buck, Case, Schrade, Camillus (original), Emerson, Pro-Tech, DKD, Ka-Bar, Wenger, etc.

But at this time, when it comes to what I will potentially still buy more of and actually carry anymore, I only have two other favorites...Victorinox and Chris Reeve. If I had to pick a third at this point, it would probably be Buck, but not for their folders. It's not that I don't think the other brands are good anymore, but I've narrowed down considerably what I will buy, and what I will use on a regular basis. And I'm not planning on purchasing any more Chris
Reeve knives ( I own 5 of them), and I don't "need" any more Victoronoxes. I don't "need" any more Spydercos either, but there are still
a few more that I WANT. ;)

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Hogue (folders)
TRC (fixed blades)
Bradford (fixed blades)
ZT (pocket jewelry)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

For me, Spyderco makes up approximately 80% of the knives I own. So somewhere around 120 knives. The rest are...

Benchmade
Zero Tolerance
Kershaw
Buck
Ferrum Forge Knife Works
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Great Eastern (all of their sub-brands as well)
Case Knives (old and new)
Bradford Knives
Boker German made traditionals.
Cold Steel (yes, really)

Many others brands I enjoy, but not quite to the level of a favorite.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Shirogorov - simply the best of the best. Perfect, and I mean perfect F&F, thin grinds, premium and cutting-edge steels.

Chris Reeve - legendary build quality, USA made, beautifully functional blades with that high hollow grind, just top-notch all around - the epitome of elegant simplicity.

Victorinox - superb fit and finish, just classics, and very inexpensive. A great tool that's been proven for well over a hundred years.

There are others but those are my top three. Spyderco would land probably on par or just below CRK.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'll also add that I've had very good experiences with Viper, Fox and MKM for slip joints. I also own a Giantmouse GMF-2 that I'm quite fond of, but that's the only Giantmouse knife I own.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Chris Reeve

Uinta

LTWK

Other than these it’s a plethora of custom makers
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Victorinox - trusty knives
CRKT - budget folders/fixeds/other tools
Microtech - i prefer their manual folders over autos
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

In no particular order:
SAK
CRK
Demko
Fallkniven
Cold Steel
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Great input so far :cool: There's even a couple of brands I wasn't previously aware of. I do find it interesting that Cold Steel and Victorinox seem to pop up frequently. I think both of those brands give you good quality for what they charge.

As much as many of you guys are knife connoisseurs to a high degree I'm sort of surprised that no one else has endorsed the Swiss made "Klotzli" brand. I personally think that those are well constructed, high quality units. The only negative I can find with them is that they use blade steels that Spyderco quit using many years ago. But I'm sure they will remedy that problem in due time. Their use of Carbon Fiber is at a really high level IMO.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am usually practical in my knife choices so my brands other than Spyderco tend to be Victorinox, Benchmade, and Buck. I do have some really nice hollow ground fixed blades in 14C28N from Kershaw that I like.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:39 am
As much as many of you guys are knife connoisseurs to a high degree I'm sort of surprised that no one else has endorsed the Swiss made "Klotzli" brand. I personally think that those are well constructed, high quality units. The only negative I can find with them is that they use blade steels that Spyderco quit using many years ago. But I'm sure they will remedy that problem in due time. Their use of Carbon Fiber is at a really high level IMO.

Joe,

I’ve been considering a Klotzli Swiss Border Guard folder for a few years, but haven’t been able to get myself to pull the trigger on one. It costs about the same as a small CRK Sebenza, which I can’t justify spending on a knife right now.

Jim
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I like Bradford, Zero Tolerance, Microtech, Al Mar (older stuff), Benchmade, Condor, Bark River, Joe Watson Knives, Ban Tang Knives, MP Knives, Gossman Knives, Turley Knives, River Bottom Blades, Busse, Swamp Rat Knives, SYKCO, Tactical Pterodactyl, Wolf Creek Forge, Enzo Knives, LTWK, Cold Steel, Ka-Bar, OKT...the list goes on, and I'll add to it as I think of more. I have several custom fixed blades that I can't think of the makers. I also enjoy and have knives from all of the major production companies (Victorinox/Wenger, Gerber, SOG, CRKT, Buck, Kershaw, Case, Boker, Leatherman, etc.). I typically avoid Chinese made where possible, so I don't have or particularly want any from the major names coming out of China (although they do look excellent and have some great looking designs), so I can't, nor would I, speak ill of any of them.
--Jeremy
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Other than Spyderco?

Benchmade
Cold Steel
Hinderer
Kabar (includes Becker)
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
kobold

Post by kobold »

My top "others":

Victorinox: all kinds of multitools. Tried Leathermans, but like Victorinox more,
Bark River: spent a small fortune on these beautiful things. No regrets.
Hultafors: the best beaters and the best value. Better than Mora IMHO. Best value in hatchets, axes too.
CRK: I was lucky to find a Large and Small 21 and an Inkosingo, at a local shop earlier this year, all perfect. In it for the long haul. Still not sure about the 31 though.
Buck: own only one, but it is one of my all time favorites,
Protech: have only one, love it, would like another, smaller one,
Hogue: last, but not least: the orange RSK. It's great, might get the Mini too.

And then, my other, still satisfying and even essential stuff:

Opinel: actually not crazy about these, but sometimes I need something disposable. I like their foldable saws the most actually.
Mora: specialized wood carving knives mostly,
Condor: I love and use their traditional machetes the most,
Traditionals - cheap, yet decent slip joints, mainly for food in public.
Böker Plus: a wide variety of designs and styles. Not the best build quality, but good value if on sale,
Cold Steel: I really like their larger camping-beater stuff, like the "Spetsnaz" shovel or the Bushman.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Victorinox
Chris Reeve knives
Hinderer
Microtech
Benchmade

Not necessarily in that order
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006