LT Wright Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

LT Wright Knives

Post by kennethsime »

Received my first LT Wright knife today, a Small Workhorse in A2 and Natural Canvas Micarta. I wanted a 3" ish fixed blade for EDC, and it was between this, the Bradford Guardian 3, or a Bark River PSK EDC. I'd still like to try the other two, but this one won the "first in." The Small Workhorse won out because of the classic drop point blade, nice neutral handle, and the luscious JRE Industries sheath.

The "ice skate" spine (pictured above) is nice and crisp, the handle is very comfortable, and the blade is quite thin behind the edge. While it's certainly not as pretty as a Bark River, it's very well made. The blade is about the size of a Para 3, and the handle is about the size of a Dragonfly - a great size.

My one complaint is that I selected a right hand sheath, and I should have selected a left-hand so that I could have drawn in a reverse grip. I'm so used to ambidextrous sheaths at this point that I didn't think about it! I may reach out to JRE to see if they'd consider making me a similar sheath that can be scout-carried. Points to Bradford here for supplying a scout-carry sheath right out of the box, although I think the JRE sheath looks to be made better.

At some point I'd like to try a Genesis.

Do you own any LT Wright knives? Tell us what you like, or don't like about them!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Re: LT Wright Knives

Post by Airlsee »

I own or have owned the GNS (3V), Next Gen (3V), Large Northen Hunter (AEB-L), Frontier Valley (A2) & I have a Pronghorn (3V) on the way.

LT Wright makes fantastic fixed blades with quality materials at really fair prices. They aren't as refined as Bark River, but I feel that they are more "trustworthy" for some reason, more transparent, less controversy, less inflated pricing.

I have more BRK's than LTW's but I feel like LTW specializes in no frills, quality knives, with Peter's heat treat and bombproof builds. If I like the design and materials LTWK is a preferred fixed blade company for me. Plus their 90° spine is unmatched in production knives.
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:53 pm
I own or have owned the GNS (3V), Next Gen (3V), Large Northen Hunter (AEB-L), Frontier Valley (A2) & I have a Pronghorn (3V) on the way.

LT Wright makes fantastic fixed blades with quality materials at really fair prices. They aren't as refined as Bark River, but I feel that they are more "trustworthy" for some reason, more transparent, less controversy, less inflated pricing.

I have more BRK's than LTW's but I feel like LTW specializes in no frills, quality knives, with Peter's heat treat and bombproof builds. If I like the design and materials LTWK is a preferred fixed blade company for me. Plus their 90° spine is unmatched in production knives.
I'm not really familiar with the controversies around BRK, but I do really appreciate the utilitarian nature of LT Wright's knives in contrast to BRK's over-the-top fit and finish - not to mention the pricing difference.

I almost bought a Frontier Valley instead of the Small Workhorse, but they've been out of stock for some time now.

The spine is pretty serious - just rubbing my thumb along it shaves off callous, haha. Excited to throw some sparks with it next time I'm out in the woods.

I sure would love to see more 3V from them - seems like most of what I find is A2. This is my first knife in A2, and while I'm sure it's going to serve just fine in an EDC role, it's not as exciting as 3V or Cruwear. Let us know how you like that Pronghorn when you get it?

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:52 pm
Let us know how you like that Pronghorn when you get it?

For sure. As far as BRK goes, I haven't personally dealt with any controversies, but there have been several episodes over the last couple decades that seem to stem from Mike's reported business dealings. For more concrete issues, there have been some reports of mis-labelling of steels which was then subsequently documented by Pete from Cedric & Ada completely by coincidence.

I'm sure that my opinion is influenced by the reports whether I intend it to be or not. I feel like some of my BRK 3V stains much more readily than 3V from other companies but that is probably just me being more alert to it and looking out for something that may not be there.

BRK makes a ton of beautiful designs that are beautifully finished. Period.

LTWK make knives that are first and foremost tools. They don't seem to experiment as much, or seem to get in their own way, they just crank out American made knives in designs and materials that will work for generations.

TLDR; BRK makes designs that are more beautiful & refined, but I'm leery of Mike Stewart in a stereotypical used car salesman sort of way. While it's silly, in my mind, LTWK is just a shop of good 'ol boys grinding out classic designs.

I guess I picture BRK as being Mike Stewart, where in my mind LTWK is a company, a group effort.

Hahaha, reading this back to myself I realize how ridiculous this all sounds but those are my thoughts...I'm sure if I were to ever actually go up to Escanaba and participate in a "grind in" I would think everything I just typed out was bullshit and BRK was a great company with internet haters, LOL!
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

As for finding 3V from LTWK, Knivesshipfree & DLT order the majority of runs in 3V. TKC seems to get more of the A2 & O1...that has been my experience anyway. The Pronghorn is the first LT I have ordered in over a year...I'll post up pictures when it arrives.
So it goes.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I have a Genesis in A2, a Bushbaby in 3V, and a Small Northern Hunter in AEB-L.

I like the fit and finish on their knives. The handles are comfortable and the blades have held up well under normal use. Their leather sheaths are well made and hold the knives securely.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have the Camp Muk and it’s a tank. When you want a tank LTWK is your brand.
You want to strike a fire starter these knives are the ones you want.

Not a kitchen knife come camp knife. It’s a camp knife.

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Large Pouter is my only one. Quality and fit and finish are great. Price was also great. The edge is a little thick.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you like LT Wright, I recommend checking out Landi.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:07 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:52 pm
Let us know how you like that Pronghorn when you get it?
Hahaha, reading this back to myself I realize how ridiculous this all sounds but those are my thoughts...I'm sure if I were to ever actually go up to Escanaba and participate in a "grind in" I would think everything I just typed out was bullshit and BRK was a great company with internet haters, LOL!
Yea, I feel that, but I do appreciate your sharing with me.

My only experience with Mike is via the Facebook groups and YouTube channels. Seems like he's very, very involved in his team & his company, very transparent with his customers, and quite active on the Facebook groups. The other day I asked a question about the availability of BRK sheaths, and he answered the question personally within 5 minutes or so - pretty cool. He is very opinionated, though - and not very diplomatic, if you catch my drift. I could definitely see folks being rubbed the wrong way by his personality, but I appreciate the frankness.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:46 am
Have the Camp Muk and it’s a tank. When you want a tank LTWK is your brand.
You want to strike a fire starter these knives are the ones you want.
Gorgeous handles, is that polished G-10?
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:52 am
The Large Pouter is my only one. Quality and fit and finish are great. Price was also great. The edge is a little thick.
Still a great knife, Darby - thanks for sharing!

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:28 am
My only experience with Mike is via the Facebook groups and YouTube channels. Seems like he's very, very involved in his team & his company, very transparent with his customers, and quite active on the Facebook groups. The other day I asked a question about the availability of BRK sheaths, and he answered the question personally within 5 minutes or so - pretty cool. He is very opinionated, though - and not very diplomatic, if you catch my drift. I could definitely see folks being rubbed the wrong way by his personality, but I appreciate the frankness.

That's actually really cool to hear.

I haven't been on Facebook since 2015 so I have no idea what goes on in the groups but I'm glad that he is so active on there, I'm also sure that I'm missing out on lots of interactions with the company (which affects my opinion).

I think Mike is an excellent designer and he has a great understanding of blade history, but he is definitely polarizing, which is fine. I have many BRK's and will probably buy many more, but I do feel better about giving my $$$ to LTWK. It's weird, I know.
So it goes.
bearfacedkiller

kennethsime wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
It has 2.5mm stock so it makes a good camp knife. It does food prep well enough at the campsite and it is sturdy enough for kindling prep. It carves hot dog sticks and tent stakes fine. I just wouldn’t call it a Bushcraft knife. I have also used it to process a deer. It is aeb-l so it sharpens easily and is super stainless. It is very light weight. My wife even uses it in the kitchen a bit. They seem like a great company. I don’t regret the purchase at all.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:47 pm
kennethsime wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
...The edge is a little thick.
It has 2.5mm stock so it makes a good camp knife. It does food prep well enough at the campsite and it is sturdy enough for kindling prep. It carves hot dog sticks and tent stakes fine. I just wouldn’t call it a Bushcraft knife. I have also used it to process a deer. It is aeb-l so it sharpens easily and is super stainless. It is very light weight. My wife even uses it in the kitchen a bit. They seem like a great company. I don’t regret the purchase at all.

The Large Pouter looks and sounds like a great all around knife. Did you thin out the edge at all? In my experience LTWK's do come a little obtuse from the factory. If needed, I try to get them between 17-20 dps...
So it goes.
bearfacedkiller

I put a 30 degree inclusive edge on it. Someday I’ll convex the edge into the primary grind and thin out the behind the edge thickness. I have too many projects and not enough time.

The design is great. Here it is with a few other knives. A Gyuto, Southfork, Bark River Mountain Man, Bark River Clip Point Hunter, Becker BK15 and Jeff White Bush One.

-Darby
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:24 pm
I put a 30 degree inclusive edge on it. Someday I’ll convex the edge into the primary grind and thin out the behind the edge thickness. I have too many projects and not enough time.

The design is great. Here it is with a few other knives. A Gyuto, Southfork, Bark River Mountain Man, Bark River Clip Point Hunter, Becker BK15 and Jeff White Bush One.

I completely understand; I also couldn't resist...

So it goes.
bearfacedkiller

Nice! I have the matching petty too. They are ground very thin. Had some edge durability issues early on but they seem to have gone away with sharpening.
-Darby
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:11 pm
Nice! I have the matching petty too. They are ground very thin. Had some edge durability issues early on but they seem to have gone away with sharpening.

Great minds and such; I had a little bit of chipping on the petty when contacting bone but nothing severe.

So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Put the SW to work today scribing fence pickets. Good enough for horses. ;-)

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:23 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Great minds and such; I had a little bit of chipping on the petty when contacting bone but nothing severe.

Ok, I’ll bite: who makes those bad boys?