LT Wright Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: LT Wright Knives

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:22 am
I always wondered what's the difference between the Frontier Valley and the Small Workhorse. Please keep us posted.
There are the obvious things:
- The SW is Sabre Ground, where the FV is FFG
- The SW has the cool double-pins like the Genesis, where the FV has single pins

Over all, they're both about 3" and shaped the same. Will post comparison shots.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:33 am
Granoo Fink wrote:
I always wondered what's the difference between the Frontier Valley and the Small Workhorse. Please keep us posted.
- The SW has the cool double-pins like the Genesis, where the FV has single pins

Over all, they're both about 3" and shaped the same. Will post comparison shots.
This one I thought was kinda coincidence, bc many models are offered in both grinds, thank you.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:34 pm
Well, my small workhorse was earning its name today.

Unfortunately, I got a little too liberal with the tip.

I wonder if LT will fix my mistake for me for a reasonable fee.
I broke the tip of my manix doing the exact same thing.
"Some call me...Tim?"
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:57 am
kennethsime wrote:
Granoo Fink wrote:

This one I thought was kinda coincidence, bc many models are offered in both grinds, thank you.
I think it generally is how Ken describes it. I have 4 Frontier Valleys. Three of them have a flat grind, and one is scandi. I've not seen a sabre ground Frontier Valley.
--Jeremy
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 am
Granoo Fink wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Granoo Fink wrote:

I think it generally is how Ken describes it. I have 4 Frontier Valleys. Three of them have a flat grind, and one is scandi. I've not seen a sabre ground Frontier Valley.
I see, thank you.
But anyway, I'm curious what's the difference causing a 60$ markup. I can hardly believe it's the different type of grind.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:25 pm
I see, thank you.
But anyway, I'm curious what's the difference causing a 60$ markup. I can hardly believe it's the different type of grind.
Good question; I have no idea. I would highly recommend a Frontier Valley to anyone looking for one. It's right up there with the Street Beat and the Bradford Guardian 3 as my favorite fixed blades.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:25 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Granoo Fink wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

I see, thank you.
My Frontier Valley should be here Wednesday, and I can compare in depth. Taking a look at the pictures, the only other thing I can see is that the SW seems like it might have a more detailed handle - as we know from the Shamans, that takes time.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kerrcobra wrote:
I'm usually an FFG guy, but after carrying my Sabre-ground SW, I'd love a Scandi version.

I also think I'd prefer the FV in a Sabre or Scandi.

kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:45 am
kerrcobra wrote:
I'm usually an FFG guy, but after carrying my Sabre-ground SW, I'd love a Scandi version.

I also think I'd prefer the FV in a Sabre or Scandi.
Interestingly enough, the scandi FV is probably my least used. I still love it, but I tend to reach for my Pronghorn 3V instead.

I just picked up another FV, and I grabbed a Frontier First which seems to be slightly shorter with a very slightly thicker handle. As for the differences in blade grinds, I saw an AEB-L (out of stock, of course) on DLT's site for the Small Workhorse that was in FFG....so at this point I have no idea what the difference is between the two.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I brought this up in the LTW Facebook group, and here's what I got.

In addition to the lanyard and steel already mentioned, the SWH has slightly thicker blade stock, handle, slightly heavier, slightly shorter over all length, and in blade length with a slightly different tip profile. All of which are really small differences - just like the fact that the FV uses pins while the SWH uses corby bolts in the handle.

FV came first so IMO the SWH is a variation of the FV.
Both really nice to have in a smaller form factor.
"On some of them, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference. What was a standard on these is no more. It used to be:

Frontier Valley:
No lanyard hole, flats only ground to 36 grit (or 120, can't remember). Only in carbon steel (mainly 4140 in the beginning).

Small WH: hardware and lanyard holes, hollow ground to 320, only made in D2. This was the preferred small game knife.

Then someone wanted a FV with a lanyard hole. Then another steel. Then things started to get all mixed up with variables. Now you might find a FV in hotrod steels, with a lanyard hole, and SWH's ground NOT to a 320 in the hollows. Or even made with a hollow grind anymore."

Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:31 am

In addition to the lanyard and steel already mentioned, the SWH has slightly thicker blade stock, handle, slightly heavier, slightly shorter over all length, and in blade length with a slightly different tip profile. All of which are really small differences - just like the fact that the FV uses pins while the SWH uses corby bolts in the handle.

"On some of them, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference. What was a standard on these is no more. It used to be:

Frontier Valley:
No lanyard hole, flats only ground to 36 grit (or 120, can't remember). Only in carbon steel (mainly 4140 in the beginning).

Small WH: hardware and lanyard holes, hollow ground to 320, only made in D2. This was the preferred small game knife.

Then someone wanted a FV with a lanyard hole. Then another steel. Then things started to get all mixed up with variables. Now you might find a FV in hotrod steels, with a lanyard hole, and SWH's ground NOT to a 320 in the hollows. Or even made with a hollow grind anymore."

Thank you. Hmm, hollow ground... well, sounds like a good idea.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:31 am

Frontier Valley:

Thanks! That's interesting and good to know. It explains the crossover in the two models.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ok guys, FedEx delivered the Frontier Valley and Frontier First today.

The Frontier Valley is essentially the same knife as the Small Workhorse. Still has a nice thick blade stock, still has a nice comfy handle, still slices real well. Something tells me that the knife is ever-so-slightly less hand-filling, but I don’t think I’m able to identify what it is. The lanyard hole is a bit bigger.

LT offered to fix my Small Workhorse for me, so I’ll be mailing that off after Xmas and carrying the FV in the same Delta Shield Mini sheath.

The Frontier First is basically too small for me. I’m going to try carrying it, but I think it’ll suffer the same fate as the Dragonfly for me - to be a great knife that never gets carried. We’ll see.

Anyway, here’re the comparison pics!

I’d sure like to try a Large Workhorse at some point! A knife in this pattern but sized about like the Stretch would be killer - big enough to really fill the hand.

Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Thank you for the pics. Really nice knives, I love my SWH and my BHF Frontier First. At some point I have to get another sheath for the FF, it's kinda fumble to get the little knife out of the sheath.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:21 am
Thank you for the pics. Really nice knives, I love my SWH and my BHF Frontier First. At some point I have to get another sheath for the FF, it's kinda fumble to get the little knife out of the sheath.
Have you considered a lanyard?

I added this quick paracord lanyard last night and am feeling a lot more confident drawing the knife.

If you do go for a new sheath, check out the offerings from Louie at Delta Leather - he does great work. I use the Mini Shield for my SWH (and FV now). It comes with multiple carry positions just like the BRK ambi sheaths, and even has a magnet to aid in retention.

I won this Delta Gentleman’s Pocket Sheath in a giveaway - I checked, and it does fit the FF well. Nice option for pocket carry!

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Beautiful knives , I also like the Stretch scales . Where did you find them ? I have been looking to buy another Stretch to mod. I only have the CF ZDP189 model and would like to do something different with a K390 .Thank you .MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:10 am
Granoo Fink wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:21 am
Have you considered a lanyard?

I added this quick paracord lanyard last night and am feeling a lot more confident drawing the knife.

If you do go for a new sheath, check out the offerings from Louie at Delta Leather - he does great work. I use the Mini Shield for my SWH (and FV now). It comes with multiple carry positions just like the BRK ambi sheaths, and even has a magnet to aid in retention.

I won this Delta Gentleman’s Pocket Sheath in a giveaway - I checked, and it does fit the FF well. Nice option for pocket carry!

Thank you for sharing the pictures. These sheaths look really good!
I saw that they make also sheaths for larger knives, that's good news. I don't like the original sheath of my BRKT Gunny Hunter LT.

Actually, I already thought about a lanyard. But Paracord and I, we are... no friends yet. I was trying many times, but the results never look like on YT 🤣
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:13 pm
Thank you for sharing the pictures. These sheaths look really good!
I saw that they make also sheaths for larger knives, that's good news. I don't like the original sheath of my BRKT Gunny Hunter LT.

Actually, I already thought about a lanyard. But Paracord and I, we are... no friends yet. I was trying many times, but the results never look like on YT 🤣
Man I kid you know, I sat in front of YouTube and tried to tie a snake knot lanyard 15 times with two different lengths of cord before I tied this one, which is just a 10x fisherman’s knot (basically a big slip knot).

What kills me is that I’ve definitely tied a snake knot lanyard before. :woozy

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 am
Beautiful knives , I also like the Stretch scales . Where did you find them ? I have been looking to buy another Stretch to mod. I only have the CF ZDP189 model and would like to do something different with a K390 .Thank you .MG2
Picked them up from @suingab on Instagram, nice guy from Lithuania. They’re pretty good, but I’m not 100% on them - I’ll try to lookup the thread for you.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:27 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 am
Picked them up from @suingab on Instagram, nice guy from Lithuania. They’re pretty good, but I’m not 100% on them - I’ll try to lookup the thread for you.
No worries I can check them out appreciate you taking time to respond . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau