LT Wright Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: LT Wright Knives

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The benchmade Puukko is nice but I passed because it has a saber grind and not a scandi grind. I own one LT Wright and have handled a couple others. I cannot say anything bad about them. Nice knives for the price for sure. That said, I would rather have a Bark River. They are pricey and they have some fit and finish issues from time to time but the ones I own perform very well. I am a huge fan.

It is pretty subjective but I wouldn’t say LT Wright blows Bark River out of the water. That’s a stretch.

Also, if we taking value into account my $12 Mora Companion is the best Bushcraft knife on the planet. A $240 Bushcraft knife from either Bark River or LTWright will never be 20 times the knife that Mora is.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:54 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:15 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:54 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm
Were does one find an lt wright patriot these days?
EDIT - I take that back. I was wrong.
EDIT #2 - it looks like you can order one straight from LTWK's site.
Sweet. Ive been considering getting myself a nice bushcraft knife for a while now. I was thinking of a bark river but it looks like lt wright blows them out of the water. At this point im kind of on the fence about maybe getting a Benchmade 200 puukko or a LT Wright. 3v steel and a great design for 125 vs most likely more expensive better looking a2 or 3v knife from lt wright. :eye-roll
So, I have the 200 puukko, and it's a great design, and I like it. It's also very reasonably priced (or was when I bought it; haven't looked at recent). Anyway, the sheath is complete garbage and it has no retention (none whatsoever). And the stock is rather thick for the short width of the blade and rather steep grind. They definitely aren't taking advantage of 3V's better properties. I wouldn't want to sway you one way or another, but get the LT Wright. I've been super pleased with my few.

Edit: You likely would be happy with the 200 puukko, and I don't want to make it sound like you wouldn't. But there was a reason I kept buying other fixed blades after I bought mine (and, yes, that's partially because I'm obsessed).
I am aware of the sheath issue. It seems that most of Benchmade's leather sheaths are this way. A buddy of mine lost his hidden canyon because of the terrible sheath. However i have made several sheaths especially for puukkos and i enjoy doing it. If a get an LT Wright Ill get it without the sheath an make my own. The reason im attracted the an LT is mostly esthetics. Minus the thick blade stock the BM still seems like a more practical choice for me.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:47 am
The benchmade Puukko is nice but I passed because it has a saber grind and not a scandi grind. I own one LT Wright and have handled a couple others. I cannot say anything bad about them. Nice knives for the price for sure. That said, I would rather have a Bark River. They are pricey and they have some fit and finish issues from time to time but the ones I own perform very well. I am a huge fan.

It is pretty subjective but I wouldn’t say LT Wright blows Bark River out of the water. That’s a stretch.

Also, if we taking value into account my $12 Mora Companion is the best Bushcraft knife on the planet. A $240 Bushcraft knife from either Bark River or LTWright will never be 20 times the knife that Mora is.
I'm not experienced with either brand and my reasoning was mostly based off of things id heard through the grape vine (quality control issues). However id also rather buy from LT Wright because i would rather support them as a company.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:37 am
Paraguy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:15 pm
Sweet. Ive been considering getting myself a nice bushcraft knife for a while now. I was thinking of a bark river but it looks like lt wright blows them out of the water. At this point im kind of on the fence about maybe getting a Benchmade 200 puukko or a LT Wright. 3v steel and a great design for 125 vs most likely more expensive better looking a2 or 3v knife from lt wright. :eye-roll
What, pray tell, gives you that impression?

I think if you want bang for the buck, which it seems you do, you should get the Benchmade. Better yet, consider a Mora Kansbol or Garberg.
Price, customer service, and QC. Ive used the Kansobol. It's a good knife (although the steel's a little soft) but I want to get something a little nicer. Im looking for something in the 100-200 dollar price range. (although maybe a little less than 100 dollars).
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I have to agree with Darby, there's not way LT blows BRK out of the water. My BRKs are all 9s, my LT is a solid 6. That said, I like it very much for what it is.

Most of the bigger LTs will run you most of $200 for the A2 models. DLT gets some inn 3V for more like $300. You can probably score a Patriot for about $120.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

They both make good knives. They are both premium knives for a fair but premium price. The choice is pretty subjective. I don’t think either one blows the other out of the water.

If you go with an LT Wright I don’t think you will be disappointed. They do seem like a good company and he seems like a great guy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

This thread made me buy my first LT Wright (on sale from KSF)--a Pronghorn in 3v for $129.

I realize that people do a lot of comparing BRK and LTW, but honestly, my first impression is that they are totally different knives. My BRK's are very, very nice--almost at the 'fanciness' level of some customs. This LTW just screams 'beat on this knife as hard as you can.' It's like the ultimate hard work puukko. I have owned the BM Puukko, and honestly I can't see why anyone would buy that when this LTW is available at the same price.

Especially given the pricing, I think LTW may come out on top for hard users, with BRK making a nicer overall knife, but at a higher price point.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I just picked up two more LTWK Frontier Valleys, in Damascus this time, from TKC (1 in black canvas micarta (my standard go to) and 1 in black paper micarta). They came in the mail today, and I'm very pleased with both. I think this new paper micarta one will be my new edc. I've got to sharpen and even out the bevels first, and then I'll likely reprofile it and thin it out behind the edge like I've done with my FFG A2 Frontier Valley. I'll probably tape this one off beforehand though lol I don't fancy surface scratches across the damascus pattern.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:05 pm
I just picked up two more LTWK Frontier Valleys, in Damascus this time, from TKC (1 in black canvas micarta (my standard go to) and 1 in black paper micarta). They came in the mail today, and I'm very pleased with both. I think this new paper micarta one will be my new edc. I've got to sharpen and even out the bevels first, and then I'll likely reprofile it and thin it out behind the edge like I've done with my FFG A2 Frontier Valley. I'll probably tape this one off beforehand though lol I don't fancy surface scratches across the damascus pattern.
Man I almost bought one of those instead of my Small Workhorse. Let us know how you like the Damascus going forward - seems like good stuff from Alabama.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:55 pm
This thread made me buy my first LT Wright (on sale from KSF)--a Pronghorn in 3v for $129.

I realize that people do a lot of comparing BRK and LTW, but honestly, my first impression is that they are totally different knives. My BRK's are very, very nice--almost at the 'fanciness' level of some customs. This LTW just screams 'beat on this knife as hard as you can.' It's like the ultimate hard work puukko. I have owned the BM Puukko, and honestly I can't see why anyone would buy that when this LTW is available at the same price.

Especially given the pricing, I think LTW may come out on top for hard users, with BRK making a nicer overall knife, but at a higher price point.
Agreed here, although I will definitely say that BRKs can handle their fair share of work - I've done a fair amount of limbing, chopping, batoning, and carving with my Bravo 1.25 LT. The using is actually the best part - sort of like when you find out she's not just pretty, but she really knows how to move. :smiling-heart-eyes :squinting-tongue

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Pronghorn 3V & Frontier Valley A2

Two of my favorite small fixed blades. I agree about the Pronghorn 3V, it really surprised me, when I ordered it I was more intrigued than anything else, but after taking it camping a few times I really think it is the perfect small woods fixed blade. It disappears on a belt, is a perfect extension of your hand, a stout wood shaving tool and an overall pleasure to use. It's hard to describe, but it feels more natural than any other small fixed blade I've tried. (Palm: 3-3/4")
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 pm
The using is actually the best part - sort of like when you find out she's not just pretty, but she really knows how to move. :smiling-heart-eyes :squinting-tongue

Yeah, the first time using their convex grind is a lightbulb moment. BRK's glide through softer woods and can take a beating. I've had their Golok 2 torqued in a knot that took 5 minutes to get unstuck, not my finest moment, but the way it was bent while stuck, I thought for sure I had ruined it. Nope. Once I got it out it was true as new.

I've also beat on one of their Aurora LT's for a couple years and am sure that it will last many lifetimes. LTWK & BRK both make lifetime tools, and I don't hesitate to buy a model I like from either company.

BRK just does more polish and polishes much more often. They charge for this and they like to keep prices just at tolerance level (especially handle upgrades)...

The LTWK Pronghorn is one of the best values going right now.
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:13 am
BRK just does more polish and polishes much more often. They charge for this and they like to keep prices just at tolerance level (especially handle upgrades)...
Yea, I think it really comes down to that.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 pm
...I will definitely say that BRKs can handle their fair share of work
Definitely agree. It's not the knife that comes short--it's the users mindset. I'm a lot more reluctant to beat on a more expensive knife. It's not that BRK knives aren't up to hard use--they definitely are. It's that they are so nice that I am hesitant to use them hard. It's my fault--not the knife's.
olywa

Post by olywa »

If you like smaller LTs you owe it to yourself to try the Small Northern Hunter. It's a big knife in small knife clothes, punches way above its weight. The Next Gen is another fave of mine. LT did a run of them in thinner blade stock a while back that are superb slicers. I keep mine in a leather pocket sheath with a SAK Pioneer X. Makes for a great combo.
bearfacedkiller

I have seen few knives as ready for hard use as an original Bravo. I know that I am not man enough to break one and the handle is awesome. In the end I actually don’t like it because it is too thick. I don’t need that level of durability. The Bravo LT is plenty durable.
-Darby
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, my small workhorse was earning its name today.

Unfortunately, I got a little too liberal with the tip.

I wonder if LT will fix my mistake for me for a reasonable fee.

resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I have a L.T. Wright Camp Muk, a Lil Muk and a Patriot. They’re all knife and very tough, as well as a decent value. The Lil Muk is one of my favorite small knives. If I had to come up with a complaint in order to provide a more balanced review I’d say their smooth G10 handles are almost slippery and the one I got wanted a little sanding.

So far I only have one Battle Horse, a Frontier First. It’s indistinguishable from the style and quality of my L.T. Wrights. Whatever differences made the companies part ways, they don’t seem to have extended to craftsmanship.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

While waiting to hear back from LT, I ordered up a Frontier Valley & Frontier First in Green Canvas Micarta.

I've really grown accustom to have my little Small Workhorse on my belt - if DLT had them in stock anymore I would've ordered another. The Frontier Valley looks pretty close, and the Frontier First just looks fun. Will report back.

Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

I always wondered what's the difference between the Frontier Valley and the Small Workhorse. Please keep us posted.