LT Wright Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Airlsee

Re: LT Wright Knives

Post by Airlsee »

Pronghorn showed a couple days ago, I haven't really had a chance to check it out much, but it's definitely a stubby little fella!

I'm not sure what I was expecting but dwarf wasn't really on my mind. I like it and I'm looking forward to pitting the little Scandi against the Frontier Valley, which is one of my favorite small fixed blades.

A few comp pics...with Shaman, Next Gen, Frontier Valley & Lil' Native.

So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:48 am
Pronghorn showed a couple days ago, I haven't really had a chance to check it out much, but it's definitely a stubby little fella!

I'm not sure what I was expecting but dwarf wasn't really on my mind. I like it and I'm looking forward to pitting the little Scandi against the Frontier Valley, which is one of my favorite small fixed blades.

A few comp pics...with Shaman, Next Gen, Frontier Valley & Lil' Native.
Looks like a great little wood carver.

Those thumb scallops look great - I think that's a real cool feature that I wish I saw on more knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:44 pm
Received my first LT Wright knife today, a Small Workhorse in A2 and Natural Canvas Micarta. I wanted a 3" ish fixed blade for EDC, and it was between this, the Bradford Guardian 3, or a Bark River PSK EDC. I'd still like to try the other two, but this one won the "first in." The Small Workhorse won out because of the classic drop point blade, nice neutral handle, and the luscious JRE Industries sheath.

The "ice skate" spine (pictured above) is nice and crisp, the handle is very comfortable, and the blade is quite thin behind the edge. While it's certainly not as pretty as a Bark River, it's very well made. The blade is about the size of a Para 3, and the handle is about the size of a Dragonfly - a great size.

My one complaint is that I selected a right hand sheath, and I should have selected a left-hand so that I could have drawn in a reverse grip. I'm so used to ambidextrous sheaths at this point that I didn't think about it! I may reach out to JRE to see if they'd consider making me a similar sheath that can be scout-carried. Points to Bradford here for supplying a scout-carry sheath right out of the box, although I think the JRE sheath looks to be made better.

At some point I'd like to try a Genesis.

Do you own any LT Wright knives? Tell us what you like, or don't like about them!
Well, you made me order one today. I'll be back when it has made it across the pond.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm
Well, you made me order one today. I'll be back when it has made it across the pond.
Nice! Let us know what you think then it comes in!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I have two small Wright's - a Frontier First (D2) and Coyote (A2), and one big (Scandi-ground GNS, also A2), and they're all great knives. Have to see if I can get pictures this weekend...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I haven't been EDCing my Small Workhorse as much as I'd hoped, I blame the belt sheath - makes it pretty obvious. Luckily, DLT has these lovely Delta Shield Mini sheaths that seem to fit pretty well, and offer a BRK-style scout carry. Should be here Monday, and I'll share pictures.

Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Finally my Small Workhorse in A2/black Micarta has arrived. First impression: oh, small.

But this is something that used to happen to me every time with fixed blade knives :winking-tongue . So nothing serious.

It is well made, the handle fits my hand perfectly and fit and finish is really good. If I was picky, I could feel a small unevenness around the lanyard tube.

The grind is even and without any flaws.
So this one will be with me quite often. Especially in situations, when knife laws interdict carrying a locking folder (but not a fixed blade up to 5 in, funny, isn't it?).

I've been looking for a 3 in fixed for some time now. I thought about a Bradford G3, but I was not sure about the choil. Or a White River M1, but at least, this was a good decision.
Thank you for the great idea.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Received the Delta Shield Mini today from DLT, very happy overall. I went with the EEP treatment, just like my Barkies.

I do wish it had a few rivets, but I think it’ll hold up just fine. Having a small fixed blade right where I want it and yet out of sight is a very nice thing.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:15 pm
Finally my Small Workhorse in A2/black Micarta has arrived.
Fink, we’re pretty much agreed on all points here. A little smaller than I thought, but very well-made and well-suited to EDC. I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase!

My only real complaint is that after buying a second sheath, I’m a lot closer to $200 into this knife than I’d like to be.

The Bradford Guardian 3 comes with M390 and a leather scout carry sheath for about the same, or a little less money. But then, I do have something a little different, and hand-made by a small team of hard working Americans, and I appreciate that.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

One thing I wasn't super impressed with was the edge on my Small Workhorse. It was sharp, but definitely not Spydie sharp, and certainly not Barkie sharp.

I picked up a strop recently, loaded it up with Black and Green compound, and put some of my favorite Spydies (and my LTWK) to it. Wow, what a difference! Still maybe not Spydie sharp, but definitely hair shaving.

I had the opportunity to test out the edge on enough double-wall corrugated cardboard to fill the recycling container today, and was quite pleased. What a great little knife!

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

oh man. i need one of these sheaths for my xancudo. i like esee's molded sheath for the izula, but i would like something a little more elegant for a belt knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:37 am
oh man. i need one of these sheaths for my xancudo. i like esee's molded sheath for the izula, but i would like something a little more elegant for a belt knife.
Highly recommended - makes carrying a small fixed blade quite easy!

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Due to the onset of fire season, we bought a fancy new air filter and it came in not one, but two large double-walled cardboard boxes.

I ran a little test with my H1 Spyderedge Dragonfly, the K390 PE Dragonfly, my PD1 Mule, and my LTWK Small Workhorse.

At first, no surprises. The Spyderedge worked well enough, but required more effort than the PE Dragonfly. The Mule Team cut real well, but I do think I need to touch up the edge. I was completely surprised by the LTWK - it cut through four layers of the double-walled corrugated cardboard with zero effort.

Moral of the story: looks like stropping pays off.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:07 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:52 pm
Let us know how you like that Pronghorn when you get it?

For sure. As far as BRK goes, I haven't personally dealt with any controversies, but there have been several episodes over the last couple decades that seem to stem from Mike's reported business dealings. For more concrete issues, there have been some reports of mis-labelling of steels which was then subsequently documented by Pete from Cedric & Ada completely by coincidence.

I'm sure that my opinion is influenced by the reports whether I intend it to be or not. I feel like some of my BRK 3V stains much more readily than 3V from other companies but that is probably just me being more alert to it and looking out for something that may not be there.

BRK makes a ton of beautiful designs that are beautifully finished. Period.

LTWK make knives that are first and foremost tools. They don't seem to experiment as much, or seem to get in their own way, they just crank out American made knives in designs and materials that will work for generations.

TLDR; BRK makes designs that are more beautiful & refined, but I'm leery of Mike Stewart in a stereotypical used car salesman sort of way. While it's silly, in my mind, LTWK is just a shop of good 'ol boys grinding out classic designs.

I guess I picture BRK as being Mike Stewart, where in my mind LTWK is a company, a group effort.

Hahaha, reading this back to myself I realize how ridiculous this all sounds but those are my thoughts...I'm sure if I were to ever actually go up to Escanaba and participate in a "grind in" I would think everything I just typed out was bullshit and BRK was a great company with internet haters, LOL!

Am I right thinking mislabeling is not systematic? Because after watching a couple of BRKT factory tour videos, I think it is easy to mix up a tray or two of those knife blanks. Another question is, would they deliberately mislabel so very different steels such as stainless and non-stainless (I am referring here to Pete's video) and risk their reputation for a few dollars? I can only assume they are doing well financially.

It would be good to know if a cheaper steel gets always mislabeled as a more expensive one, or is it all truly random.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Were does one find an lt wright patriot these days?
"Some call me...Tim?"
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:09 pm
EDIT - I take that back. I was wrong.
EDIT #2 - it looks like you can order one straight from LTWK's site.
--Jeremy
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:54 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Sweet. Ive been considering getting myself a nice bushcraft knife for a while now. I was thinking of a bark river but it looks like lt wright blows them out of the water. At this point im kind of on the fence about maybe getting a Benchmade 200 puukko or a LT Wright. 3v steel and a great design for 125 vs most likely more expensive better looking a2 or 3v knife from lt wright. :eye-roll
"Some call me...Tim?"
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:15 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:54 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Sweet. Ive been considering getting myself a nice bushcraft knife for a while now. I was thinking of a bark river but it looks like lt wright blows them out of the water. At this point im kind of on the fence about maybe getting a Benchmade 200 puukko or a LT Wright. 3v steel and a great design for 125 vs most likely more expensive better looking a2 or 3v knife from lt wright. :eye-roll
So, I have the 200 puukko, and it's a great design, and I like it. It's also very reasonably priced (or was when I bought it; haven't looked at recent). Anyway, the sheath is complete garbage and it has no retention (none whatsoever). And the stock is rather thick for the short width of the blade and rather steep grind. They definitely aren't taking advantage of 3V's better properties. I wouldn't want to sway you one way or another, but get the LT Wright. I've been super pleased with my few.

Edit: You likely would be happy with the 200 puukko, and I don't want to make it sound like you wouldn't. But there was a reason I kept buying other fixed blades after I bought mine (and, yes, that's partially because I'm obsessed).
--Jeremy
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I have an entire set (Chef, Traveler, L Pouter and S Pouter) of his camp kitchen knives in AEB-L flat grind with burlap micarta and copper pins. We use them every single day in our home kitchen and they are all fantastic knives. AEB-L is a WIN on these but I strop regularly because I honestly and addicted to sharpening everything. My field/Bushcraft knife is a O1 Scandi Sospes in green micarta with a matching ferro rod on the sheath. Absolutely fantastic bushcraft/hunting knife and love it for general camp tasks too.

LTWK is my absolute go to for field/kitchen knives. Spyderco is my 100% go to for EDC folders and defense fixed blades.
Victorinox and LeatherMan are my go to for multipurpose companion/pocket tools.
Gransfors Bruk are my go to for axes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:15 pm
What, pray tell, gives you that impression?

I think if you want bang for the buck, which it seems you do, you should get the Benchmade. Better yet, consider a Mora Kansbol or Garberg.