Liner lock. Should I try one?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Do you think liner locks are a good valid lock or not.

Poll ended at Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:24 pm

Yes I think liner locks are good and a safe lock if made properly.
75%
No Liner locks are too prone to wear and failing. Thereby compromising safety.
14%
I don't know.
No votes
I don't care.
11%
I only use fixed blades.
No votes

Total votes: 28

vivi

Re: Liner lock. Should I try one?

Post by vivi »

In my experience most futuristic knives have worse ergonomics and blade grinds for utility work than more boring, traditional designs like an Endura.

I never buy liner locks for friends and family, save for one Efficient I gifted to someone.
:unicorn
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:03 pm
In my experience most futuristic knives have worse ergonomics and blade grinds for utility work than more boring, traditional designs like an Endura.

I never buy liner locks for friends and family, save for one Efficient I gifted to someone.
I don't see the Endura as boring. I own about 40 or 50 knives and you can bet the Endura is a top 5 favorite. I just like the looks of some futuristic models being I am a huge star trek, cyberpunk, sci fi, outer space nerd deep down. The Brous Division style got me interested in adding a futuristic type knife to my sci fi collection. But I am leery of liner locks and bad build quality often associated with them. With the exception of my Hogue EX02 and Luzons which employ a secondary safety if needed.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm of the mind that if you are not commissioning knives to be made that you should not wait around for some specific attribute to be added. Buy what is available and enjoy it.

I have a Spyderco Military, Emersons and Bokers that are liner locks. They are fine. See what it is that you like or dislike about them relative to other locks that you may have.
You make an extremely valid point I did not consider until you chimed in. Thanks for mentioning this.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Josh1973 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:45 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm of the mind that if you are not commissioning knives to be made that you should not wait around for some specific attribute to be added. Buy what is available and enjoy it.

I have a Spyderco Military, Emersons and Bokers that are liner locks. They are fine. See what it is that you like or dislike about them relative to other locks that you may have.
You make an extremely valid point I did not consider until you chimed in. Thanks for mentioning this.
Thank you!!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kobold

Post by kobold »

Not only liner locks and compression locks are similar, but so are frame locks in tis family. Never had an incident with any of these. My first Spyderco liner lock was the GB2, then I bought a couple of Millies and gained enough confidence to buy the Sage 1 just recently. So, yes, I suggest to give them a try.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

As a lefty I like linerlocks for the fact that I still get a show side with them whereas Framelocks not so much. I cannot recall having a linerlock, even a cheap one fail on me. I prefer linerlocks where the release is more difficult to get at. I know some folks whine about it but it’s safer if you ask me. I also actually like a hint of lock stick.
I’ve had my lefty CRK fail, (bought it just to have a lefty knife but realistically, a “right handed” framelock is safer left and vice versa as the way you grip and use a knife, your grip keeps the lock closed. If you are say slicing down and away through some wood, you can inadvertently disengage a framelock. Pull back out of the wood and it can close on you). Also had it fail from bumping it in use. Had to pull it apart, adjust the tension on the lock bar and reassemble being careful to hold the scales with the centering trick to get it to lock reliably.
The way I look at it the framelock is only as strong as it’s thinnest part which tend to be the same or thinner than most linerlocks and titanium rather than steel.
I’ve also had lockbacks fail.
I think my favourite lock overall is the compression lock, especially a Smock button one.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?