Bushcraft, Survival, Camp knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mike Slayer

Bushcraft, Survival, Camp knives?

Post by Mike Slayer »

Let's see them.

This is my most recent purchase I ordered a few months ago. It's made by Sliwkosky Knives out of Poland. Jakub's work is super clean and well made. He has all sorts of designs in different size ranges. This one is in Elmax but he also uses Vanadis 4 Extra also. I don't know how isn't more well known. I have used nothing but a machete and pocket knife for years. I would pick up a bushcraft or belt knife every now and again but they never lasted because I didn't really need them and didn't care for them that much. This knife is different since it is a performer in my testing so far and it feels great in my hand. It feels like it is made for my hand. Time will tell for sure if I keep carry it along with my machete and pocket knife. I will post more action shots at a later date after I move.
220923891_226697742522561_8751968278860312146_n.jpg
Mike Slayer

Re: Bushcraft, Survival, Camp knives?

Post by Mike Slayer »

Here's a better picture showing more of the handle.
175742432_253061559929588_222866359967898735_n.jpg
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I use this CPK Field Knife 2 for a lot of batoning and feather sticking. It's CPM 3V with the delta heat treat.
I don't use it with a ferro rod. I rarely use that because I always carry a Bic just for fires.

A better shot of the knife.

In use the handle is very comfortable and the steel is tough while providing good edge retention. It's not stainless but it doesn't rust easy. I've had spots show up but a quick pass of a steel brush removed it.

I carry this knife almost every day. Which is why it's what I'd call my survival/bushcraft/camp knife. Even when wearing drawstring shorts the Gclip holds it secure. Also gives me the option to wear it iwb or owb by just flipping I around.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There sure seems to be a lot of nice custom knives coming out of Eastern Europe.

I have this puukko from ZL Knives. It is beautiful and works well. End cut spalted birch and fancy brass. The price was very reasonable. I have carved a lot of wood with it.

I have probably 30+ knives that fit this category. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been using my Temp2 a bit lately as a woods knife. Seems to fit into all three categories well. It is okay at bushcraft (wood carving) but is great as a camp and survival knife. Decent for camp food prep and kindling preparation. Probably good for self defense. Would be a good knife to have with you if lost in the woods.

I had something eat some of my veggies in the garden this year. Lost some cabbage and brussel sprouts. I figured it was a ground hog because I have had issues with them before. I got the 10/22 out and kept my eye on the garden for a while. Well, it was a big rat. I have never seen one on my property before and I didn’t like it! So I built a rat trap. Carved this figure four up real quick with the Temp2.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m with Vash, anything I do outdoors it’s with either the CPK FK2, DEK1, or EDC2. I hammer on the FK2 and EDC2 fairly good and often, I haven’t got around to testing out the DEK1 much yet, but it’s handle is simply the best handle I’ve ever had or held in a fixed blade, I don’t know what it is about it.
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I certainly hope Carothers can find a better method for selling their knives. I'm will willing to spend the coin, but unwilling to jump through the hoops on their forum.

Edit: Wow, my typos keep piling up!
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:44 pm
I certainly hope Carothers can find a better method for selling their knives. I'm will to spend the coin, but unwilling to jump through the hoops on their forum.
I have always liked their work. I have never looked into what it takes to buy one of their blades though. I don't care for jumping through hoops. I guess I am simple that way.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

JRinFL wrote:
I certainly hope Carothers can find a better method for selling their knives. I'm will to spend the coin, but unwilling to jump through the hoops on their forum.
Changes are coming soon. They are ditching the Amazon idea and will be selling directly through their website, when, I’m not sure.
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:50 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Changes are coming soon. They are ditching the Amazon idea and will be selling directly through their website, when, I’m not sure.
Good news, thanks!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Here are my nicer 4"+ camp knives.

Left to right: PD1 Mule, Mora Kansbol, Bark River Bravo 1.25 LT, Ka-Bar.

Here're some things I like or don't like about each:
PD1 Mule,
- Compact
- PD1 is good stuff
- Handle is too small, and could be more neutral.

Mora Kansbol
- Just the right size
- Very lightweight
- Steel could be better

Bark River Bravo 1.25 LT
- Heavy
- Perhaps just a touch too large, but then so am I.
- Gorgeous
- Holy **** this thing goes through wood like butter. The convex grind is the best thing ever.
- Great sheath with scout carry option.

Ka-Bar
- Reals big
- Still pretty heavy
- Nice comfy handle
- Clip point isn't the most practical thing for batoning.
- Steel could be better

The Bravo is my newest addition, and it's so far above and beyond when it comes to woodworking that I would like to try putting a secondary convex grind the others.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.