Ambush Sidekick in Elmax

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bolster

Ambush Sidekick in Elmax

Post by Bolster »

...this is the continuation of a discussion that started in a Mule Team thread, "Nothing Like It?" where we were looking for inexpensive, but quality knife blanks to practice our Spyderco Mule building skills. The Ambush Sidekick in Elmax for $50 was discovered at DLT by JRinFL. I was the first fool to buy one, and it started to take up a fair amount of discussion, so I've moved it here to Off Topic since it's a non-Spyderco knife.

Previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89974&p=1541489#p1541489

https://www.dlttrading.com/ambush-sidekick
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bolster

Re: Ambush Sidekick in Elmax

Post by Bolster »

I don't have much to show you guys yet. I've been working on getting the "chonky" blade down to 17 degrees both sides, and that took some doing! See the high bevel in the photo. I was so frustrated with the speed of my diamond stones that I ordered a low bevel rest for my slow speed Coote belt grinder. Next time I have a reprofile job like this, I'm a-grinding it, boys!

It occurred to me today that I could make a handle for this knife that allowed it to slip into my walking poles. That would give me a 4 foot spear! And it would also give me a 4-finger grip. You can see my thinking here...I dunno, just thinking out loud...
Attachments
Ambush Spear.jpg
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Interesting. That looks like a decent blade.
Josh
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Is it really hard to reprofile Elmax with diamond stones?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:57 am

I probably overstated my complaint. I don't think it's any more difficult than any other PM steel of its hardness and wear resistance. I was just frustrated that I have a nice machine that could have done the job a lot faster (the Coote belt grinder) but I didn't own the specific attachment that would make the job safe and precise, so had to do the back bevel profiling by hand.

Because of the high saber grind, the blade wobbled on my Edge Pro Apex, so the only other guided system I have is the Lansky, which is what I used. Lansky diamond stones don't seem to last very long.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:23 am
nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:57 am

I probably overstated my complaint. I don't think it's any more difficult than any other PM steel of its hardness and wear resistance. I was just frustrated that I have a nice machine that could have done the job a lot faster (the Coote belt grinder) but I didn't own the specific attachment that would make the job safe and precise, so had to do the back bevel profiling by hand.

Because of the high saber grind, the blade wobbled on my Edge Pro Apex, so the only other guided system I have is the Lansky, which is what I used. Lansky diamond stones don't seem to last very long.

I agree on the Lansky stones, they seem to dish out quicker than I'd like them to be. I sold my set and got me a Precision adjust. Interested in this blade since it seems like a close analogue to an Elmax Mule. Will be watching your progress in this project.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

This is a pretty good price for a piece of Elmax. I don't need another fixed blade but I'm pretty tempted. I'd like to hear your thoughts about it after you've used it for a bit. Curious about the heat treat and if you think it's done properly. Honestly this price/value seems to good to be true.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:44 pm
This is a pretty good price for a piece of Elmax. I don't need another fixed blade but I'm pretty tempted. I'd like to hear your thoughts about it after you've used it for a bit. Curious about the heat treat and if you think it's done properly. Honestly this price/value seems to good to be true.

From what I can determine: Ambush was a short lived experiment by DLT where they were dabbling in a house brand. The knives were made by Bark River, according to sources on BF. The experiment ended years ago, when DLT decided not to pursue their house brand, so these must be a few remainders. My guess is, since the experiment didn't continue, there's no knowledge of, or demand for, this short-lived brand. "Chonky grind," as others have observed. The last photo shows what it looks like with a 17 degree bevel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Only slightly related, but has anyone worked with the Kizlyar blanks? I see they have a couple in CruWear class steels under $50.
Knivesofaspyder

Post by Knivesofaspyder »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:01 am
Only slightly related, but has anyone worked with the Kizlyar blanks? I see they have a couple in CruWear class steels under $50.
I must have missed those when looking for alternatives. Never heard of this brand before either.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:06 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:01 am
I must have missed those when looking for alternatives. Never heard of this brand before either.
https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... lyar+blank
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tom scores again. Lookit, that $33 Kizlyar Colada sells with handles on Amazon at $92...
https://www.amazon.com/Kizlyar-Bohler-K ... B0731LJHBX

Must be a beefy knife if it weighs almost 4oz naked. But I don't know anything about Bohler K340 steel. Must be a tool steel. Ingot, I think.

Larrin sez: "It is in the same class of materials as PD-1 but with reduced alloying so it would be expected to have lower wear resistance with a possible increase in toughness." Others at BF indicate it's in the same orbit as Cru-Wear, Z-Wear. Dunno! :confused:
Knivesofaspyder

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:50 pm

Tom scores again. Lookit, that $33 Kizlyar Colada sells with handles on Amazon at $92...
https://www.amazon.com/Kizlyar-Bohler-K ... B0731LJHBX

Must be a beefy knife if it weighs almost 4oz naked. But I don't know anything about Bohler K340 steel. Must be a tool steel. Ingot, I think.

Larrin sez: "It is in the same class of materials as PD-1 but with reduced alloying so it would be expected to have lower wear resistance with a possible increase in toughness." Others at BF indicate it's in the same orbit as Cru-Wear, Z-Wear. Dunno! :confused:
Ha I'm also confused. KC lists it as "Bohler K340 Stainless Steel" yet with only 8% Cr. :confused:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The PGK they use is also in the same class of steels.

http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/pgk.shtml
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:28 pm
Ha I'm also confused. KC lists it as "Bohler K340 Stainless Steel" yet with only 8% Cr. :confused:
I don't think K340 is stainless.

https://www.us.bohler.com/en/products/k340-isodur/
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Yeah, for sure it's not stainless. Welp, ordered one. We'll see. I'm looking for blanks that go a bit more 'tough' than 'retention,' which seems a better bet for an outdoor knife. And the Colada has a 4" blade, which is larger (though heavier) than the rest in my collection, so will be nice to have as an option.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I was thinking of regrinding one. Waiting for the fall, when work slows down...
Knivesofaspyder

Has your Colada arrived? How is it compared to the Ambush?
Knivesofaspyder

Found another cool skeleton blank by White River Knives. It's a little on the pricier side at 80 USD but comes in S35VN steel. Overall length is 6" (slightly shorter than the Ambush) but the blade is only 2.25" so this should allow for a comfortable 4-finger grip.

https://whiteriverknives.com/atk/
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:58 am
I was thinking of regrinding one. Waiting for the fall, when work slows down...
People don't like jumping off stuff in the fall? How strange.