Ambush Sidekick in Elmax

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bolster

Re: Ambush Sidekick in Elmax

Post by Bolster »

Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:11 pm
Has your Colada arrived? How is it compared to the Ambush?
Yes. It's a "big knife" by my standards, was a bit surprised. Dwarfs the Ambush. And completely unsharpened in any way, great for buttering big toast at this point. Will get you a photo in hand soon.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:04 pm
Found another cool skeleton blank by White River Knives. It's a little on the pricier side at 80 USD but comes in S35VN steel. Overall length is 6" (slightly shorter than the Ambush) but the blade is only 2.25" so this should allow for a comfortable 4-finger grip.

https://whiteriverknives.com/atk/

That's a neat little knife. I own its larger brother the M-1 Backpacker, and I purchased that as a "naked" skeleton knife. It came with a bit of do-it-yourself paracord for a "handle" but I made mesquite handles for it instead...that I don't like (due to the hardware used), and will re-do when I get a chance.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Photo as promised, with a Chaparral for size comparison. I find the handle/tang of the Colada a bit much, not very ergo (so long it pokes my palm), and I wear size "L" gloves. I may cut the Colada down to a half tang knife. I like the blade, and it's a very reasonable .023" BTE, completely unsharpened-butterknife-dull.

Still don't know much about K340 steel other than scattered comparisons to PD-1, CruWear, Z-Wear, "upgraded D2," but don't know how it warrants some of those comparisons being an ingot steel. Many mentions of it being "tough" but no quantitative data that I can find.

I have read some speculation on whether the Kizlyar Supreme knives are Russian or Chinese. They loudly proclaim Russian (says 'Made in Russia' on the blade) but there are doubters on BF. From the research I've done, I think Russian, and the fact they are using B-U K340 makes me even more suspicious of a Russian/Euro connection rather than a Russian/Chinese connection.
Attachments
Colada.JPG
Knivesofaspyder

Post by Knivesofaspyder »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:04 pm
Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Photo as promised, with a Chaparral for size comparison. I find the handle/tang of the Colada a bit much, not very ergo (so long it pokes my palm), and I wear size "L" gloves. I may cut the Colada down to a half tang knife. I like the blade, and it's a very reasonable .023" BTE, completely unsharpened-butterknife-dull.

Still don't know much about K340 steel other than scattered comparisons to PD-1, CruWear, Z-Wear, "upgraded D2," but don't know how it warrants some of those comparisons being an ingot steel. Many mentions of it being "tough" but no quantitative data that I can find.

I have read some speculation on whether the Kizlyar Supreme knives are Russian or Chinese. They loudly proclaim Russian (says 'Made in Russia' on the blade) but there are doubters on BF. From the research I've done, I think Russian, and the fact they are using B-U K340 makes me even more suspicious of a Russian/Euro connection rather than a Russian/Chinese connection.

Thanks for the comparison photo! I like the size of the Ambush, looks like it'd make a good neck knife.

Not really surprised the factory edge is non-existent. I also wonder how good the heat treatment is on it. Agree with you on the handle - it lacks the contouring for a comfy palm grip.

I'm leaning towards ordering a couple of the Brisa blanks since they're pretty inexpensive and have a pretty good reputation.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 am
I'm leaning towards ordering a couple of the Brisa blanks since they're pretty inexpensive and have a pretty good reputation.

I'll be watching this thread to read your take on the Brisas... thanks!!
Knivesofaspyder

Post by Knivesofaspyder »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:49 pm
Knivesofaspyder wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 am

I'll be watching this thread to read your take on the Brisas... thanks!!
I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get my hands on them.
Unfortunately the US/Canada land border is still closed so I can't even pickup my Z-Max Mule and an order of some G10 and Micarta sheets. I'll likely have everything by mid-September at this rate :-||

I also spoke to a Brisa rep who mentioned they're releasing a full tang skinner model in Elmax and restocking their Scara models (RWL-34 steel) late summer/early fall. Those should be exciting and tide me over until the next Mule release.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I should have read this before getting excited about the Kizlyar Colada and buying one. I can sharpen it, but I did expect it to come with an edge. Every other blank I have seen on the market lists in the description if it is not sharpened. Colada came duller than a butter knife.

Anyway, shout out to the forum for posting the facts first. Reminder to every other person, check here first.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ykspydiefan

Kizlyar Colada

Post by ykspydiefan »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:04 pm
Knivesofaspyder wrote:

Well, I bought a Colada, hit it with a Wen Wet Wheel, diamonds, little strop and still I am not posting pictures of the edge. I picked this up for what it is, a cheep practice platform. I think it would be more fair in their advertising stating that it is a "butter knife dull blade." I hit it with the glow powder anyway.

The handle is salvaged oak from furniture, and in day light you can clearly see the grain of the wood and not much green. I did multiple clear coat layers with small amounts of powder and it seems to work. In the hand there is texture as you can feel the grains of glow powder. How it will wear? Will produce hotspots? I am not convinced I will use this one much. I will most likely turn into a gift.

As for the steel, it needs a more qualified grinder, sharpener and stropper before a valid opinion may be produced. If advertised correctly, the Colada is a good platform and unsharpened knife blank.

IMG_20211117_222410185_2.jpg
IMG_20211204_233504675.jpg
IMG_20211210_083926772.jpg
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hmm, oops. I meant to copy and start this as a new off topic thread.