Have you made a kydex sheath? Tips??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Airlsee

Have you made a kydex sheath? Tips??

Post by Airlsee »

So, I posted a week or two ago about getting a new BRK Mini-Kalahari Sportsman.

While sheathing it today, the tip went right through the folded side of the bushcraft style leather sheath that came with it. Not a super big deal, I put some leather preservative on the puncture and learned a lesson.

I want to use this knife in the kitchen and filleting/boning while camping. I already knew that I wanted a kydex sheath for it and thought about sending it to someone, but honestly that's more hassle and more importantly time, than I want to go through. I like DIY crafts (simple leather making and such) and making simple kydex sheaths has been on the to do list for
a while.

I don't have a garage or work area other than a patio and kitchen. I need kydex, rivets, drill, heatgun, toaster-oven, saw, marker...what am I missing here...OH, a clamp system. What kind of foam do you recommend? Preferably something I can get at HomeDepot, Lowes, etc... I haven't even decided on the type of clamp system to construct. Anyway, advice is needed.

I know that there are Youtube videos and such, but I figured I ask here first and see if you guys/gals have any advice, bearing in mind that I'm in an apartment and have most hand tools, but not a dremel. I haven't even ordered kydex yet, so if there is anything inexpensive that will make my life easier this is the information I am seeking.

Thanks for taking the time!
So it goes.
JRinFL

Re: Have you made a kydex sheath? Tips??

Post by JRinFL »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89755

This thread will help, I think.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:14 pm
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89755

This thread will help, I think.

Oh wow, I hadn't seen this. It will definitely help, thanks!
So it goes.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've made some with a heat gun, a pair of heavy gloves and a cordless drill. Not as professional looking, but functional none the less.