Stropping: Your Favorite Hardware & Supplies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Stropping: Your Favorite Hardware & Supplies?

Post by JD Spydo »

Just recently we've had a really interesting thread on the subject of Stropping here on the Forum. I always read those stropping threads because I'm a believer in "stropping" myself. Actually I've had more noticeable results stropping on woodworking tools over the years> but I've also seen profound differences on knife blades as well.

But one subject I would like to hear more about on these "Stropping" threads is the vast, wide array of different tools and hardware that people use for stropping>> not to mention the wide variety of strops as well. Even recently one of our most noteworthy members even said they use "blue denim" jeans for stropping. And over the years I've heard everything from Balsa Wood to my personal favorite which is a strop made from Russian Boar hide that I got from a Barber Supply Co.

Also the wide selection of compounds, diamond dust, jeweler's rouge and many other various stropping/sharpening compounds that several of our forum members swear by. I've even heard a couple of guys over at Bladeforums swear by the use of leather boot laces on certain stropping jobs. So with this thread I really want to take a hard look at the hardware and tools associated with stropping. Also if there are any supply companies that sell really good stropping gear it would be nice for an update on which companies has the better supplies for stropping?
RLR

Re: Stropping: Your Favorite Hardware & Supplies?

Post by RLR »

Wait for it. Super high tech. Leather (old belt) and leather strip for large serrations (same belt) glued on piece of wood. I may test sharpness here and there, but the “face” at the end helps me hold it. I hold in left hand and lean it on forearm. Loaded with rouge.
6D3B8F2F-76A1-4E4B-8CB4-B2618BF18705.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RLR wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm
Wait for it. Super high tech. Leather (old belt) and leather strip for large serrations (same belt) glued on piece of wood. I may test sharpness here and there, but the “face” at the end helps me hold it. I hold in left hand and lean it on forearm. Loaded with rouge.
I was suspecting that home-made strop set ups might be great units depending on the knowledge of the person putting it together. I know a guy who is a retired Barber and he told me some time back that a piece of leather on a flexible paddle will actually do a more thorough job of stropping than most people would think.

I'm also wondering if heavy duty canvas type materials impregnated with some type of diamond dust or other compound might also be a good set up>> and might even have some advantages over leather?

I do remember that a company called Lee Valley used to have a good selection of stropping hardware. I haven't looked at their stuff in quite a while. Also that one website www.japanwoodworker.com also seems to have a good selection of hardware that can be used for stropping as well.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Lee Valley still stocks them. Homemade is always my go to. With a softer steel, or to clean crud from any steel, you can’t beat a strop. For something like O1 you can pop a mirror edge pretty quickly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RLR wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:05 pm
Lee Valley still stocks them. Homemade is always my go to. With a softer steel, or to clean crud from any steel, you can’t beat a strop. For something like O1 you can pop a mirror edge pretty quickly.
OK you make reference to "softer steels" and I assume you are referring to the older, more antiquated steels like AUS-8 or even the O-1 tool steel you mentioned? But what about steels like M390, S90V ect? Couldn't you use a diamond powder/dust in a small micron grit to compensate for the harder steels?

I've even heard of guys using the older stones like the novaculite/Arkansas stones to put on a final polished edge. I've had some decent luck with that green chromium oxide on a strop as far as a final edge is concerned.

I've also heard that most high grade leathers have a small amount of silica in them which gives an enhanced edge.
RLR

Post by RLR »

I don’t mind new steels but the “antiquated” stuff works for me :cool: and O1 is a favourite.

If it is super hard stuff I don’t strop unless it’s to clean off crud. For those ceramic stones (8000) are what I finish with. Unless I leave a super toothy edge for outside, hard workers. Few passes on a Lansky blue (fine) diamond stone and that’s it.

True stropping, personally, is reserved for softer stuff. YMMV
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RLR wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:37 pm
I don’t mind new steels but the “antiquated” stuff works for me :cool: and O1 is a favourite.

If it is super hard stuff I don’t strop unless it’s to clean off crud. For those ceramic stones (8000) are what I finish with. Unless I leave a super toothy edge for outside, hard workers. Few passes on a Lansky blue (fine) diamond stone and that’s it.

True stropping, personally, is reserved for softer stuff. YMMV
Oh for sure I don't mind many of the older blade steels myself. I've got an older Spyderco Catcherman model with AUS-8 blade steel with a full Spyderedge>> and I use that knife at least 3 times a week in the kitchen and take it on fishing trips as well. I still like AUS-8 for serrated blades any day of the week.

I've got an old hunting buddy that the only knives of his I've seen that he hunts with are all made of 1095 carbon steel which is about as "old school" as it gets. And hey they work for him. But over the years I've gotten spoiled on steels like M390 and S90V.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Gritomatic $7 leather strops and venev 40 micron diamond compound. I have other grits down to .5 micron but only use 40 these days.

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/cow ... 793e&_ss=r

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/ven ... 6630759533
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:16 pm
Gritomatic $7 leather strops and venev 40 micron diamond compound. I have other grits down to .5 micron but only use 40 these days.

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/cow ... 793e&_ss=r

https://www.gritomatic.com/products/ven ... 6630759533
I've heard of these guys but I've yet to buy anything from them. That's interesting that they make stuff of the "Edge Pro" sharpening system.

I'll check out their website ASAP. I'm also going to see what Lee Valley has got to offer these days. Hey thanks for the info Vivi :)
turttlepockets

Post by turttlepockets »

I used to use the leather and compounds. Even tried the diamond paste and spray. I've found them to work well. I now use a board and adhesive micro mesh. The 1 micron is my go to, but have used other grits too. It keeps a nice edge. Especially on the super steels. When the mesh gets a little clogged I use a kneaded eraser to clean it up to extend the life of the mesh. Once the mesh is used up. All I have to do is peel it off and put a new piece on the board. No fuss and no mess. I buy the micro mesh in 8.5" x 11" sheets and cut them down to the desired sized. Stropping my knives on a Sunday night is a nice meditative way to get ready for the new week.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

First off I don’t think 0-1 is an antiquated steel, depending on its purpose and use. There are many, many deer hunters in my area that have used 0-1 knives (made by me) for field dressing their game. It’s a simple thing to periodically strop for a razor edge till the job is done. True, the new steels will work through a butcher without sharpening, but if you do have to it’s a much longer process.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PineyBoy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:44 pm
First off I don’t think 0-1 is an antiquated steel, depending on its purpose and use. There are many, many deer hunters in my area that have used 0-1 knives (made by me) for field dressing their game. It’s a simple thing to periodically strop for a razor edge till the job is done. True, the new steels will work through a butcher without sharpening, but if you do have to it’s a much longer process.
I tend to agree with you about O1 Blade Steel. And I also like D-2 quite a bit as well. Heat Treating has got a lot to do with how a blade steel performs in the field. And I do believe that Stropping can play a big role in field performance.

There are a lot of guys who are avid fans of these tool steels for custom made knives. From what I've heard Bob Dozier from Arkansas is still using D-2 in many of his great creations.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I just ordered this set from DLT, which is a large paddle strop with black & green compound. Mostly ordered for my convex-ground knives, but excited to see how the Spydies do with a little stropping as well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:43 pm
I just ordered this set from DLT, which is a large paddle strop with black & green compound. Mostly ordered for my convex-ground knives, but excited to see how the Spydies do with a little stropping as well.
Well, the edge isn't perfect on my LT Wright Small Workhorse - but stropping with Black (3,000 grit) & Green (6,000 grit) BRK compound sure did make it slice paper smoother. I'm not sure that it's really any better than Spyderco's fine stones, but definitely work!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I made a strop from a length of 2x4 and some really smooth leather I got from the Hobby Lobby. Diapaste to load and I'm stropping steel down to molecules.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey guys I just happened on to something today that you all might find interesting. We have a huge "Hobby Lobby" store here in the town I live in. I mean it's at least twice as big as most of the "Hobby Lobby" stores I've seen all over the country.

Well I was window shopping today looking for some magnets. And I found a huge selection of Balsa Wood and Basswood. I've heard that both of those super soft woods can make an excellent surface to strop on. I've heard that Balsa Wood works great with that "sub-micron" diamond dust.

I was blown away with all the sizes, shapes and thicknesses of those woods that they had available in those soft woods.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I am happy with the "bench" strop from Sharpening Supplies. Smooth leather, for me, as the suede leather strops tend to round off edges too easily in my experience. Been using 1 micron diamond spray for the past few weeks and I like the results. Been using the strop more to finish deburring than as a sharpening tool in and of itself. It does result in quite crisp edges, and the diamond spray works for any steel.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:36 pm
I am happy with the "bench" strop from Sharpening Supplies. Smooth leather, for me, as the suede leather strops tend to round off edges too easily in my experience. Been using 1 micron diamond spray for the past few weeks and I like the results. Been using the strop more to finish deburring than as a sharpening tool in and of itself. It does result in quite crisp edges, and the diamond spray works for any steel.
I have a cousin who is a Barber and he's pretty close to retirement and all he's ever used in his long career for his straight razors has been a commercially made leather strop. So I know there is nothing at all wrong with leather. But this one that I have that is made from Russian Boar hide has been my favorite over the years. I bought it from a Barber Supply outfit out of Iowa about 10 years ago. And it's got a different texture to it and works well with or without compound.

I still think the soft woods like Balsa and Basswood have potential as well. And with these blade steels getting harder and harder as time goes on I'm sure there will be new types of stropping methods arise. I always found it interesting that the late Cliff Stamp never liked strops for whatever reason?
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

What particular strop works for a particular person or application may differ. After experimenting with a few materials the smooth leather works well for my moderately fine grit (up to 3000) and rather convexed freehand edges.

I'm all for using strops to deburr when sharpening. Not sure if there is anybody who can really completely deburr with just stones. Maybe there are, but it's not me, and I suspect it's not most people. I do not like frequent/repeated "sharpening" with a strop, as in my experience it can tend to round off the edge pretty easily. Maybe that's where a soft wood loaded with compound would work better, but at that point you're just making a makeshift kind of stone with a very fine grit. And I have found it not that easy to properly raise a burr on a strop. With a stone I can work a proper burr quite quickly, minimize it, then finish on the strop. Takes only a few minutes, as long as the knife isn't really dulled or has edge damage.

The following video I think is extremely helpful in understanding the importance of a strop in final deburring (and just understanding raising and removing a burr in general). Includes some microscope video that allows you to actually see the burr, and how at least this guy manages and removes it.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:25 pm
What particular strop works for a particular person or application may differ. After experimenting with a few materials the smooth leather works well for my moderately fine grit (up to 3000) and rather convexed freehand edges.

I'm all for using strops to deburr when sharpening. Not sure if there is anybody who can really completely deburr with just stones. Maybe there are, but it's not me, and I suspect it's not most people. I do not like frequent/repeated "sharpening" with a strop, as in my experience it can tend to round off the edge pretty easily.

The following video I think is extremely helpful in understanding the importance of a strop in final deburring (and just understanding raising and removing a burr in general). Includes some microscope video that allows you to actually see the burr, and how at least this guy manages and removes it.

Interesting video! I'm going to check and see if this guy has other videos. There is a book on "deburring" that I've been trying to find. The author "Laroux Gillespie" is a master machinist who I've been told is probably the foremost expert on the subject of "deburring" metals. I can't find any of his books for less than $125>> but I'm going to get his book on "deburring" if nothing else.

This is great stuff and this is the reason why I started this thread. I just know there are several stropping methods and other materials you can strop with other than the traditional leather. I'm personally going to do some experimenting with the soft woods like Balsa, Basswood and other materials like them. We have a huge Hobby Lobby store in my hometown and they have a big selection of those soft woods.

If anyone knows of a better source other than "Japan Woodworker" for diamond dust and other stropping compounds then please let me know. I've found them and the Garrett Wade company to be about the two best for those types of items.