Gear Talk

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Gear Talk

Post by vivi »

This thread is open to any sort of gear you want to talk about. Watches, flashlights, pens, hiking boots, trail runners, camp knives, multitools, emergency gear....you name it.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Re: Gear Talk

Post by JRinFL »

What gear trackers do people use, if any? I have used Tile and I just got a couple of Pebblebee Found GPS trackers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

This is my favorite piece of gear. A small flashlight.
The Nitecore TIP.
Have used it for hours and hours and carried it a lot, as you can see. But I have to say, the glass has not a single scratch, very impressive, considering the condition of the rest of the case.
I really like the lockout function for the buttons. As far as I can tell, the successor models do not have this function.
Attachments
photo_2021-07-13_17-17-03.jpg
photo_2021-07-13_17-16-59.jpg
photo_2021-07-13_17-16-51.jpg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Senfkarte wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 am
This is my favorite piece of gear. A small flashlight.
The Nitecore TIP.
Have used it for hours and hours and carried it a lot, as you can see. But I have to say, the glass has not a single scratch, very impressive, considering the condition of the rest of the case.
I really like the lockout function for the buttons. As far as I can tell, the successor models do not have this function.
I used to carry one of those. Mine got smashed into pieces somehow. Forgot what caused it but I know the insides are all plastic.

I tried the new version but the interface is pretty bad. Gotta hold the button down for 2-3 seconds to turn on the light.

On my keychain these days is a Fenix E03R.

Also tried the Surefire sidekick. It's great. Never turns on in my pocket despite no lock-out because they made the button require more force than a baby's fart to activate. Feels much more durable than most pocket lights.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

I carry these sometimes.

I don't know if you count a walking stick as gear, but I carry one of two different Brazos hickory walking sticks whenever I go for my walks.

Jim
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:28 am
I used to carry one of those. Mine got smashed into pieces somehow. Forgot what caused it but I know the insides are all plastic.

I tried the new version but the interface is pretty bad. Gotta hold the button down for 2-3 seconds to turn on the light.

On my keychain these days is a Fenix E03R.

Also tried the Surefire sidekick. It's great. Never turns on in my pocket despite no lock-out because they made the button require more force than a baby's fart to activate. Feels much more durable than most pocket lights.
The plastic insides are fine for me. It is not a very heavy duty flashlight, and from my experience it is solid enough to survive a fall from pocket high....or even more than one :rolleyes:

I'm not up to date, how the newer version(s) are operated, I just read that the lockout function is not longer there.

This is my first and at the time only pocket light. I start to look around when it dies. But the two you named will be in the narrow selection, depending on the timeframe, thanks.
kobold

Post by kobold »

It's raining, so I made a few pocket sleeves for my stuff.

These forks help a lot:

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10