Have you been to the Spyderco Factory Outlet?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Airlsee

Have you been to the Spyderco Factory Outlet?

Post by Airlsee »

I was thinking about vacationing in North Carolina next month, but have now decided to go to the Denver area instead.

Have you guys/gals been to the mothership? Did you make a trip just out of that? Did you do other things while you were in the area? Good trails or places that are "must see"?

I just came up with this plan this afternoon and it's just going to be me and the dog going for about a week total, but spending 4-5 days just west of Denver.

I booked an intermediate whitewater rafting trip, and a concert at Red Rocks, plus another concert at a venue in Denver. But I'm looking for trails or areas to take my dog and explore. Not really planning on camping out just day hikes or must stop restaurants, views, scenic roads etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
So it goes.
Larry_Mott

Re: Have you been to the Spyderco Factory Outlet?

Post by Larry_Mott »

Spyderco HQ - check
Memorable locations from our CO road trip 2 years ago:
Lookout mountain/Buffalo Bill Cody's grave
Dinosaur ridge
Mesa Verde
Helen Hunt Falls
Garden of the Gods
Mueller state park
Four corners, not excactly breathtaking scenery but quite fun and time effective to be in four states at once :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I lived there for ten years and worked about two miles away from spyderco.

I miss Red Rocks. Awesome venue!

I suggest driving to the top of mount Evans.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Thanks for the input guys!

Larry, it looks/sounds like y'all had a great trip, I'll have to look up your suggestions this afternoon!
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've never been to the mothership, but I have driven by. If you like outdoorsy stuff, check out Coal Creek Canyon & Clear Creek Canyon while you're in Golden - rafting, hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking - they got it all.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have been there a bunch of times in the past 5 years or so. I make sure to stop by more than once anytime I'm in Colorado.

You probably won't spend the whole day inside the SFO (although they won't tell you to leave if you do... ;) ) but there are a number of things to do in the immediate area if you're looking to make a day out of it.

The Coors Brewery is in downtown Golden and tours of the factory are capped off with 3 free drinks. It's about 5 minutes from the SFO and definitely worth checking out. If you're looking for some lunch in the area, directly across the street from Coors is "Bobs Atomic Burgers" and is recommended!

Some fun hikes in the area are "North Table Mountain," which is visible from the front door of SFO. It's a really cool hike and has some amazing views of the mountains and downtown Denver. Also, a 5 minutes drive into the canyon next to Spyderco is "Mount Galbraith Park." This is more of a mountainous hike but still not challenging.

I've been to a few concerts at Red Rocks. That is an incredible venue and an absolute must if you enjoy live music.

As Darby also suggested, Mt Evans is a "14er" (14,000 ft mountain) that you can drive to the top of. It's a really cool experience. If you're willing to drive over an hour south to Colorado Springs, another good mountain to drive up is Pikes Peak, a very well known 14er.

There is a lot to do, it can actually be difficult to choose sometimes. Hope you enjoy your trip!
-Nick :bug-red
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Wish I could visit :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been to the SFO quite a few times, twice when it wasn't torn down for the Seconds Sale, but all my trips have been either up and back, just for the SFO, or a stop on a long road trip.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:54 pm
I have been there a bunch of times in the past 5 years...Hope you enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I actually cut out all alcohol a few months ago, but prior to that I would have completely been up for the Coors tour!

I'll definitely check out Bob's, North Table Mountain & Mount Galbraith Park. I'm going to be road-tripping from the south so Mt. Evans and possibly Pike's Peak sound like must stop sights. The Red Rocks show that I'm seeing is "Not Our First Goat Rodeo" which probably wouldn't have been a show I would have thought to check out in another circumstance but I'm really looking forward to experiencing top-tier musicians in such a beautiful venue and got lucky that the date lined up.

I think this will be a really fun trip.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
So it goes.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Closest I ever got was on an Amtrak train headed over the Rockies and that was before I knew about Spyderco.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Dinosaur Ridge Trail is nearby, sounds cool to me. It is a short and heavily trafficked according to my research but they allow leashed dogs. Dogs are everywhere in Colorado so your pooch will fit right in. You absolutely should make time for SFO. I have been several times and try to make time when I am nearby. If you go ask if they have anything unusual. Sometimes you can pick up something cool. There’s also a case with returns in it sold without boxes, with a warranty (I think) and you get a substantial discount. If you’re a first responder or veteran they will give you a great deal. I have failed to look into every display case when I was there and I think that was a mistake but the people with me were getting antsy. When you check out they’ll throw some stickers or catalogs in your bag and all the staff are super nice, and will be happy to talk knives.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 am
Dinosaur Ridge Trail is nearby, sounds cool to me. It is a short and heavily trafficked according to my research but they allow leashed dogs. Dogs are everywhere in Colorado so your pooch will fit right in. You absolutely should make time for SFO. I have been several times and try to make time when I am nearby. If you go ask if they have anything unusual. Sometimes you can pick up something cool. There’s also a case with returns in it sold without boxes, with a warranty (I think) and you get a substantial discount. If you’re a first responder or veteran they will give you a great deal. I have failed to look into every display case when I was there and I think that was a mistake but the people with me were getting antsy. When you check out they’ll throw some stickers or catalogs in your bag and all the staff are super nice, and will be happy to talk knives.

Nice! Yeah I definitely plan on stopping in, I'll be sure and plan enough time to get a glance over every nook and cranny, LOL! Maybe I'll find a little treasure...

I'll look into Dino Ridge, I'm really looking forward to the trip. I think it will be a fun self-indulgent getaway.
So it goes.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Visiting SFO would be a bucket list item. I may never make it but it would be excellent!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I remember Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak from my youth. Both were great. I would go to both again for sure, and I would definitely go to Spyderco.