2021 Multi-tool Review

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

2021 Multi-tool Review

Post by JD Spydo »

Well it seems like about once a year we get together and run a thread on Multitools. Well I'm wanting to have an in depth conversation about multitools because the landscape of that market is changing rapidly as we speak. Every issue of OFF GRID magazine I read is really mind-blowing because it seems that each issue has a new line of multitools. And the definition of what a multitool is has expanded. I can't believe how many variants have hit the market.

They've got so many different multitools on the market now that the category of multitools in the market has really expanded. Myself I tend to still like the older standard type of multitool similar to the original "Leatherman" units. I've been sold on Victorinox multitools since I got my first one at about 2002 ( Swiss Tool). I've found that the Victorinox units are made extremely rigid and the tools on the unit are all high quality tools that you can use very proficiently when you are in a pinch.

I still also long for a new, updated version of Spyderco's SPYDERENCH. I've still got one of the original, Golden CO made Spyderench tools and I usually carry it when I take my Victorinox "Swiss Tool" or "Swiss Tool X" on any hunting or fishing trip. I'm partial to those two types of multitools. But I still want to chat about all the newer tools that have fallen into the multitool category.

Also let us know your personal favorite brand of multitool is and why you like that brand as much as you do. OK let the conversation on Multitools begin :)
MacLaren

Re: 2021 Multi-tool Review

Post by MacLaren »

Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit Plus Ratchet
She's smooth as silk every time and there's just not anything I can gig her on.
As far as 2021 I have no idea and honestly I really don't care because I'm very happy with what I already got as mentioned above. Not to mention it was expensive and not sure why i would need another one....
Obviously this logic does not apply to knives :p
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:21 pm
OK let the conversation on Multitools begin :)
Great idea!
What 2021 multitool is your favorite EDC?
Why do you prefer it over your older multitools?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Great idea!
Nice post Rusty :D
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I carry a Leatherman Charge TTI everyday at work. I ordered a Signal last night for when I go camping. I used to carry some type of SAK everyday. Once I went Leatherman, I never looked back.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I no longer EDC a pliers-based multi-tool, but for many years I used to use Leatherman tools. Then I tried an original Victorinox Swisstool. I really liked the quality, but when I got my Swisstool Spirit, I knew I finally found “my” pliers-based MT. I bought mine sometime around 2010 or so. I carried it in a horizontal sheath for years, along with my SAKs in my pockets, and a Spydie clipped to my RF pocket.

I still use the Swisstool Spirit, but I no longer carry it with me every day. I do carry it sometimes. I still carry one or two SAKs every day.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:26 pm
Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit Plus Ratchet
She's smooth as silk every time and there's just not anything I can gig her on.
As far as 2021 I have no idea and honestly I really don't care because I'm very happy with what I already got as mentioned above. Not to mention it was expensive and not sure why i would need another one....
Obviously this logic does not apply to knives :p
For many years I've thought that Victorinox and Frost Mora both make tools that are excellent for the price they charge. But when it comes to the multitools that are made by Victorinox they took it quite a few steps higher. I don't know of any company off the top of my head who makes a better conventional style multitool than those made by Victorinox.

Now Spyderco's multitool known as the Spyderench is such a highly specialized tool that it's hard to compare it to any of the conventional multitools. Whenever OFF GRID magazine reviews a new multitool in many cases it is a new Victorinox unit. That speaks volumes to me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RustyIron wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Great idea!
Like I said in my opening post I still lean on the Victorinox Swiss Tool and Swiss Tool X. I haven't gotten the newer version that MAC has but I'm following closely to see what Victorinox has coming down their product pipeline.

A friend of mine that I've talked to recently about the subject said that he still has his BUCK multitool. I never owned one of Buck's multitools but the people I've talked to have had good things to say about them.

Unless a newer/better unit hits the market I'll be sticking to Victorinox Multitools. But I'm always open to any new product that hits the market and if anyone makes a multitool considerably better than my Victorinox multitool I'll be getting one. But I doubt if I ever depart from any of my Victorinox tools.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:41 pm
RustyIron wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Great idea!
Like I said in my opening post I still lean on the Victorinox Swiss Tool and Swiss Tool X. I haven't gotten the newer version that MAC has but I'm following closely to see what Victorinox has coming down their product pipeline.

A friend of mine that I've talked to recently about the subject said that he still has his BUCK multitool. I never owned one of Buck's multitools but the people I've talked to have had good things to say about them.

Unless a newer/better unit hits the market I'll be sticking to Victorinox Multitools. But I'm always open to any new product that hits the market and if anyone makes a multitool considerably better than my Victorinox multitool I'll be getting one. But I doubt if I ever depart from any of my Victorinox tools.

I guess I should have done a different title because I meant it to mean any multitool made from the early 90s when most of them first hit the market till this year 2021. But I do want to know which ones you all like the best.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't carry the large multi-tools any longer. I used to keep one under the seat of my motorcycles as a "just in case" tool. Nowadays I am likely to be carrying a Vic Pioneer X in a leather slip. It does everything I normally need doing and does not take up a lot of pocket real estate or weigh my pants down.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Still carrying the same Vic Spirit I've had on my belt for about 11 years now. I don't see it changing unless I get the blacked out version or if Victorinox somehow make something better.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

My usual edc is a Spirit XC+. I also have a Leatherman OHT which doesn’t see as much use.
The Spirit just seems more user friendly.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I have a swisstool spirit that's at vnox repair right now, hopefully they will replace my Phillips that's mangled from use (the steel is so soft)

I like the idea of multi tools, but since I carry them in a shoulder bag anyways, I'm thinking of just carrying a small pair of pliers, and a screwdriver... I always feel like I'm going to torque a multi tool pliers apart
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like the swift opening of the Leatherman Free P4.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I EDC a Leatherman Squirt PS4 in my pocket and a BO Rebar in my backpack. Those two cover my bases. Love having a pocket sized pair of pliers on me.

Some days I'll carry a half micra on my keyring and leave the squirt at home.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have a favorite multi tool with no blade?

The only time I really use multi tools is when I travel, and having one with no blade allows me to bring it along on carry-on only trips (which is most of may travel).
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

If you find a MT that suits your purpose, maybe you could just remove the sharp/pointy bits and replace them with a stainless steel washer.

This would allow other tools to be used without deflection and solve legal issue.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The TSA agents do not follow their own guidelines and are allowed to follow their own judgement. I got pulled aside by some new agent because I had a Gerber Dime without a blade (TSA approved on the package, ha!) and he wanted to to take it. Manager over-rode his decision and I was able to take it with me. I chose to leave it with my brother when I flew back to avoid the hassles. You can still be "wrong" even if you comply with the rules, while the agents are never wrong. I have unpleasant things to say, so I'll leave it at that.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have tools from Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber, and SOG. They all have their pluses and minuses and I have yet to find the "one" that covers all my wants and needs.
Build quality is:
1- Victorinox
2- tie Leatherman (most, not all) SOG (older ones at least)
4- Gerber US models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:52 am
Does anyone have a favorite multi tool with no blade?

The only time I really use multi tools is when I travel, and having one with no blade allows me to bring it along on carry-on only trips (which is most of may travel).
Hey Tom tell us of some brands that don't have knife blades. Because to be honest I'm not even aware of Multi-tools that don't have some type of a knife blade. Now I have seen some of the smaller ones with like only 2 to 3 tools on them in one of the past issues of OFF GRID magazine. But other than those "one of a kind" type tools I'm not aware of any like you described.