2021 Multi-tool Review

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: 2021 Multi-tool Review

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:31 pm
I have tools from Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber, and SOG. They all have their pluses and minuses and I have yet to find the "one" that covers all my wants and needs.
Build quality is:
1- Victorinox
2- tie Leatherman (most, not all) SOG (older ones at least)
4- Gerber US models.
I used to have a unique multi-tool a few years back made by Gerber that was mainly geared for fishing. It had a really long needle nosed pliers and the other tools were ideal for fishing. It's been at least 8 to 10 years since I owned that one.

Spyderco's most unique multi-tool known as the SPYDERENCH is truly a "one of a kind" type tool. Of all the magazine articles I've seen on multi-tools I've never seen even one of them write up anything about the SPYDERENCH which I find really odd.

The SPYDERENCH had potential but for whatever reason just never really got the exposure it needed to appeal to a larger target market.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There are bladeless Leatherman Fuse & Rebars, although maybe the sawblade on the latter could be problematic to some.

I have a Surge for DIY work, with a swapped out tool set so it has the Wave precision driver, and I also replaced the pe blade with another saw blade holder. Shaping the liner lock ramp was interesting…

The Spyderench certainly appeals but is priced as a collectible now rather than a working tool.

I love my little MotionPro motorcycle multitool. It’s more a tool assembly than a single tool but it is very good.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I keep a LM super tool 300 in my car and a rebar in my pack. I ike the replaceable cutters and the locking blades. I also bought the bit adapter for the screw driver and like that it extends the reach too. You can also remove the cutters and sharpen them yourself before replacing them. I cut some tough wire once and it burred the cutters. I took them off and flattened them out on a diamond stone. What I don't like is the finish on the blades makes them prone to rust but that's not a huge issue. I don't use my LMs for food. I also have my super tool broken in to where I can open it like a balisong so I can use the pliers one handed. Sog advertises that for some of their Powerlock pliers.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 am
TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:52 am
Does anyone have a favorite multi tool with no blade?

The only time I really use multi tools is when I travel, and having one with no blade allows me to bring it along on carry-on only trips (which is most of may travel).
Hey Tom tell us of some brands that don't have knife blades.
I have this one: https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/m ... -30-000952
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have 3 Leatherman tools. I bought a Wave first, then a Crunch (locking pliers), I have settled on one with fewer tools than either of those but a better implementation of the driver. A Skeletool CX. The CX has some carbon fiber for looks but a knife blade that’s CPM 154. With a bit kit you have a good selection of tools in a relatively light and rigid package. I don’t think I will buy anymore of these. The Skeletool is the one!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I have a drawer full of multitools but don't carry them anymore. I've gone with standard tools in a canvas tool bag that lives in my car. Yeah, it's a lot heavier and doesn't go on hikes with me. OTOH, not fiddly, and can be replaced/upgraded one by one.

On a hike, *maybe* will take an IDL T7, a very small and light multitool, but IDL must have gone out of business. Haven't seen one for sale in years.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I haven't really looked into any new generation multi-tools since the ones I have are still more that enough for my needs. I did find the Leatherman Super Tool 300M to be rather intriguing since it was designed with the military member in mind.

When it comes to multi-tools, my personal favorite brand is Leatherman. I like their multi-tools as I've found them to be of very good quality, design, and functionality. I personally have always liked and preferred the quality, fit, and finish of a Leatherman multi-tool over whatever else the competition has put forward. A Leatherman is a practical thing to have when you're away from home and your toolbox, especially when you find yourself in a situation where you REALLY need tool. I hate leaving home without my Leatherman.

I like Leatherman since, to me, they are the pioneers in the full-size pliers-based multi-tool (I make that specification since some consider the Swiss Army Knife to perhaps be the original "multi-tool"). From my point of view, when Leatherman came out with the Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool, it stood alone in the market... then Gerber, SOG, etc., came along with their versions.

I like Leatherman because they are innovators. When Leatherman came out with the Leatherman Super Tool, there was nothing out there of its size, AND, it had LOCKING BLADES... and, as far as I know, no one else had locking blades in their pliers-based multi-tool. When Leatherman came out with the Leatherman Wave, there were no other multi-tools where the four main blades were accessible from the handle with the tool fully closed, AND, these four main blades LOCKED IN PLACE... no one else had that at the time.

My all-time favorite Leatherman multi-tool that I EDC everyday is the Leatherman Super Tool 200 with subdued blacken finish. I LOVED the Leatherman Super Tool when it first came out... I always felt that the Pocket Survival Tool should've been bigger, and for me the Super Tool answered the call. And, I LOVED the Super Tool 200 even more since it was identical to the Super Tool EXCEPT the handles were wider, the handles were far more rounded for comfort, and the locking mechanisms were redesigned to make them more practical. Now, I do have the Leatherman Super Tool 300 and like its improvements, BUT, I still prefer the beauty, functionality, and more traditional design of the needle-nose pliers of the Super Tool 200.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I have to admit the last multitool I carried was the Leatherman Charge TTI, I liked the fact that it had an actual knife blade, and of course 99% of the time it would be the driver bit part of it I'd use, eventually I got tired of the weight and on it went.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that Leatherman makes a really good quality multi-tool. But I cut my teeth on my Victorinox Swiss Tool and Swiss Tool X and I doubt if I leave those any time soon. Unless something new has at least twice the quality or twice the amount of practical uses.

I'm holding out hope that Spyderco will at some point get together with that "Marty" guy and maybe do a Spyderench 2 at some point. The Spyderench is so unique that I've never get rid of the 2 that I have.

Probably second to Victorinox I've found the Gerber units to be decent. Gerber used to have a multi-tool that was geared strictly for fishing and it had a nice set of needle-nosed pliers on it. I forget the model name or number >> it's been at least 10 years or longer since I had one of those.
Mchld

Post by Mchld »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:12 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:31 pm
I have tools from Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber, and SOG. They all have their pluses and minuses and I have yet to find the "one" that covers all my wants and needs.
Build quality is:
1- Victorinox
2- tie Leatherman (most, not all) SOG (older ones at least)
4- Gerber US models.
I used to have a unique multi-tool a few years back made by Gerber that was mainly geared for fishing. It had a really long needle nosed pliers and the other tools were ideal for fishing. It's been at least 8 to 10 years since I owned that one.

Spyderco's most unique multi-tool known as the SPYDERENCH is truly a "one of a kind" type tool. Of all the magazine articles I've seen on multi-tools I've never seen even one of them write up anything about the SPYDERENCH which I find really odd.

The SPYDERENCH had potential but for whatever reason just never really got the exposure it needed to appeal to a larger target market.
Man I would love for the spyderench to come back been tryin to my hands one for like $300 for years. Any more than that and I'd be afraid to use it.