In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Accutron

Re: In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

Post by Accutron »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 am
My perfect EDC "dog walking" flashlight would have all of the following features:
The Lumintop FW3A meets all of your requirements. It has one-button programming, so you can set it to whatever operational configuration you want, including simple on/off with a single brightness setting.

I own quite a few Fenix and Olight flashlights, but I've found them lacking in performance and OS features compared to brands like Lumintop and Noctigon.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Lumintop makes several of the Maratac lights sold by County Comm. I can safely recommend them as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:21 pm
I don't have a flash light yet, maybe in a few months I'll buy one. What do you folks thin of the following?

Olight Warrior X Turbo 1100 Lumens Tail Switch Tactical Flashlight, 1000 Meters Throw, IPX8 Waterproof, with 5000 mAh 21700 Battery, Holster, Lanyard etc

Olight M2R Pro Warrior 1800 Lumens USB Magnetic Rechargeable Dual Switches Tactical Flashlight with 300 Meters Beam Distance, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery

OLIGHT Warrior X Pro 2100 Lumens Tactical Flashlight with 500 Meter Beam Distance Neutral White Led,USB Magnetic Rechargeable, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery
Based on the size of some of the knives you carry, you could probably easily EDC some of those. However their Warrior Mini or mini 2 is a better size for EDC. The other models you list likely would make better impact tools, if you need something like that.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Accutron wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:17 am
The Lumintop FW3A meets all of your requirements. It has one-button programming, so you can set it to whatever operational configuration you want, including simple on/off with a single brightness setting.

Thanks. I'm sure it's a great light but it has multiple brightness settings, which is my one and only gripe about my Fenix, and lacks any way of attaching a split ring if you remove the pocket clip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:36 am
Naperville wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:21 pm
I don't have a flash light yet, maybe in a few months I'll buy one. What do you folks thin of the following?

Olight Warrior X Turbo 1100 Lumens Tail Switch Tactical Flashlight, 1000 Meters Throw, IPX8 Waterproof, with 5000 mAh 21700 Battery, Holster, Lanyard etc

Olight M2R Pro Warrior 1800 Lumens USB Magnetic Rechargeable Dual Switches Tactical Flashlight with 300 Meters Beam Distance, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery

OLIGHT Warrior X Pro 2100 Lumens Tactical Flashlight with 500 Meter Beam Distance Neutral White Led,USB Magnetic Rechargeable, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery
Based on the size of some of the knives you carry, you could probably easily EDC some of those. However their Warrior Mini or mini 2 is a better size for EDC. The other models you list likely would make better impact tools, if you need something like that.
Fall and Winter are coming and opportunities/requirements for a fixed blade are coming back.

I'd like to carry a flashlight that can be used as an impact weapon too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've settled on my trio.

I like to have a floody keychain light, a general purpose EDC, and a beefier high power light with longer throw.

Nitecore tip 2 | Streamlight Macrostream | Fenix PD32

I've switched from the Fenix E03R to the Nitecore Tip 2. The #1 reason I switched is the Fenix often came on in my pocket, sometimes even with the lockout on, and the tip 2 never has. I also like how the magnetic tailcap makes it effortless to remove from my keychain then put it back on - no fiddling with split rings. It's a little bulkier in the pocket but it's also a lot brighter. Makes me feel better when its my only light on me.

The Macrostream surprised me. It's basically as thick and no brighter as the Fenix PD25 I set out to replace. But it's the light I reach for 95% of the time I want to clip a light to my pocket. The beam is more flood than my Fenix lights, which I find useful day to day. I like only having two modes to switch between instead of 4 or 5 like most my Fenix lights. The black coating looks great and has a nice subtle texture to it in my hand. Nice clip. Battery lasts and lasts. Nice clicky. Integrated charging. It isn't the brightest most badass light in its class, but its simple, cheap, and does everything I need in an EDC.

The PD32 is nice when I want massive throw for a pocket sized light, or a brighter, more intense beam in general. While the Macrostream is a superior day to day light for my uses, the PD32 comes in handy for specific applications. I like how the mode switch is handled by the tail switch - something I enjoy about the Macrostream too. Going back to lights that change modes with a second switch feels so cumbersome.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Finally broke down and bought an Olight. Ordered the new Camo one DLT had, the new warrior 3.
Josh
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I prefer Sure Fire for my weapons, although I do have a couple of Streamlights. For work I carry a Ledlenser. “Off duty” I have an Olight Baton. I also have a Feniex key chain light.
vivi

Post by vivi »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:32 pm
Finally broke down and bought an Olight. Ordered the new Camo one DLT had, the new warrior 3.
Those look really nice. I like that it has a 1 lumen mode. Has a few things I like better than my larger Fenix lights, but the Fenix does a couple of things better itself.

Let us know how it works out!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:49 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:32 pm
Those look really nice. I like that it has a 1 lumen mode. Has a few things I like better than my larger Fenix lights, but the Fenix does a couple of things better itself.

Let us know how it works out!
Will do. I’ve always been a Fenix guy, but I just recently bought a new Fenix PD35 and it already crapped the bed. Thought I’d give Olight a try. I’ve had really good luck with Fenix and had a Streamlight once as well that was great. I will report back.
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well back to the Fenix E03R.

The Nitecore tip keeps turning itself off after 20-40 seconds, no matter how fully charged it is or which mode is running. Bizarre.

Emailed support, I'll report back with what they say.
max808

Post by max808 »

TK15UE + ARB-L18-3500U = blinding excellence
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:05 pm

The Nitecore tip keeps turning itself off after 20-40 seconds, no matter how fully charged it is or which mode is running. Bizarre.

Hey vivi, that's the default mode (what they call daily mode) for how it works. You have to switch to constant on mode. The User Manual can be found here:

https://nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHT ... 379673.pdf
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:45 am
vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:05 pm

Hey vivi, that's the default mode (what they call daily mode) for how it works. You have to switch to constant on mode. The User Manual can be found here:

https://nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHT ... 379673.pdf
Thanks. Must have switched it by accident because it didn't do that before. Had forgotten it even had different modes!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Olight just emailed me of upcoming Black Friday sales starting 11/24 , if this is of any interest to anyone . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:15 am
Olight just emailed me of upcoming Black Friday sales starting 11/24 , if this is of any interest to anyone . MG2
Thanks MG!

I've been waiting for what seems like forever for the Warrior Mini 2 to come out in OD Green. Stoked!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Olight S1 mini HCRI
Last edited by Makunochimaster on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Black Friday came around last week and today i received my OD Green Warrior Mini 2.

I’ve got to say, it’s bigger than I expected. I have no idea how to engage the “Turbo” mode - it seems to have a high, low, and extra-low “moonlight” mode. This may be too much flashlight for my EDC, but if nothing else it’s a nice upgrade to my “walking the dog” light.

The iR2 Pro, which came free, is a great upgrade to my last free keychain light which came apart on my keys in a week. This one can’t untwist all the way, and is USB-C rechargeable. I might gift this one to my finacée.

So far, nothing really beats the i3T with the upgraded battery. Sure it doesn't last long, but man that thing is bright, small, and simple to use. I'd love an i3R Pro or something which is rechargeable and puts out 500 lumens more efficiently & reliably.

I also bit the bullet and bought an OD Green Baton 3 Premium on eBay. They were a limited edition that I missed out on a few months ago. Looking forward to a smaller, simpler light.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:01 am
I’ve got to say, it’s bigger than I expected. I have no idea how to engage the “Turbo” mode - it seems to have a high, low, and extra-low “moonlight” mode.
Try a fast double-click on the side switch.
--Jeremy
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I bought a Lumintop HL3A from Amazon during BF. Pretty good bargain for $38 and change. 90º head, magnetic tail cap, and a headlight strap. Small enough to EDC for most people. Con is no builtin charger.

The standard ramping interface with memory is just about perfect for simple and effective UI.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001