In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bdubs808

Re: In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

Post by Bdubs808 »

I use PD35 daily with PD25 as my backup. This is my 2nd PD25, no regrets.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:37 am
Sofirn SC01 on my key-chain is enough for me in the summer.
That's my true edc as well, one on both my sets of keys. Still hoping they make a aluminum or Ti version instead of just weighty steel. https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/17 ... nt-1718608

Keeping in line with the SST20 4K, I usually carry an Emisar D4V2 with 18350 tube when I know I'm doing something that will need a light often. At this point it's hard to go backward from here in CRI, or UI.
kobold

Post by kobold »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:43 pm
kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:37 am
Sofirn SC01 on my key-chain is enough for me in the summer.
That's my true edc as well, one on both my sets of keys. Still hoping they make a aluminum or Ti version instead of just weighty steel. https://budgetlightforum.com/comment/17 ... nt-1718608

Keeping in line with the SST20 4K, I usually carry an Emisar D4V2 with 18350 tube when I know I'm doing something that will need a light often. At this point it's hard to go backward from here in CRI, or UI.

Heh, I also have two keychains with the SC01.

Some of my other lights in various battery sizes:

My proper EDC sized lights are an SST-20 based Acebeam TK16 and the Nichia 219B R9080 based brass Reylight Pineapple Mini.

I keep two 90+ CRI Nichia 219C EC65 Acebeams mounted on manfrotto goosenecks for photography.

My larger format light is the Manker E14 III Neutral White 4K 90+ CRI Samsung LH351D LED with the extension tube.

Also EDC and photography worthy is my Nichia Warm White Armytek Wizard Pro headlamp.

Carrying a low CRI light is like carrying a dull knife.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

photo_2021-08-15_17-32-35.jpg
Attachments
e03r-001 (6).jpg
e03r-001 (1).jpg
e03r-001 (7).jpg
e03r-001 (11).jpg
e03r-001 (13).jpg
e03r-001 (15).jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
max808

Post by max808 »

After reading this thread over again, it seems most people prefer their edc lights compact yet powerful, light yet robust, which brings us back to that stainless steel tip which will take a beating beyond belief and still light up every time with pretty crazy output considering not that long ago a tactical light with 300+ lumen was top of the line.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

That said I would love to get a hold of one of them Fenix ones pictured above. Couldn't make the model out, will look into...
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

max808 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:04 pm
That said I would love to get a hold of one of them Fenix ones pictured above. Couldn't make the model out, will look into...
It's a Fenix E03R
--Jeremy
max808

Post by max808 »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:08 pm
max808 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:04 pm
It's a Fenix E03R
Thank you, added to the Christmas list. :gift
vivi

Post by vivi »

Makunochimaster wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:12 am
photo_2021-08-15_17-32-35.jpg
Great photos.

I gave the Nitecore Tip2 a chance on my keychain and ended up going back to this Fenix. The Fenix is much more compact, lighter, uses USBC, and I love the red light.

I pair a larger light with my keychain light 95% of the time so I don't need to brighter beam of the tip 2 on my keychain, and the tip2's UI is baffling in how bad it is. Nearly a 3 second press to turn it on.

In other news I have a Wurkkos FC12 in the mail - https://wurkkos.com/products/wurkkos-fc ... tsId=10070

Seemed like a good value. 30,000 candela intensity, and a very low low.

I'm also still planning to order another large Fenix. I decided against the PD36 TAC and instead plan to get a PD32 V2. Another 10,000 candela beam intensity, smaller and lighter size, and the clicky controls all the mode adjustments.

I was also considering the new PD35 V3, which appealed to me for many of the same reasons as the PD32 but it also has a really low low. The 30 lumenlow on most Fenix lights isn't quite low enough for some uses, which is where the E03R comes in.

It appears to fix a lot of the issues I've had with larger fenix lights, like the integrated charging port rubber flap not staying shut, and the awful double sided clip on the PD36, and the difficult to find side buttons for switching modes.

I can see the PD32 becoming my new go to. For now the Streamlight Macrostream has been my most carried light along with the Fenix E03R on my keychain and PD36R in my backpack. Enjoying this combo.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

max808 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:59 pm
After reading this thread over again, it seems most people prefer their edc lights compact yet powerful, light yet robust,
For the record, I have a strong aversion to overly bright lights. They're great if you're stumbling around in the woods tracking Bigfoot, but if you're indoors or doing close-up work, excessively bright lights are blinding. My light that has seen the most use, by far, is a Streamlight Stylus Penlight. It spews out a whopping 11 lumens. It's been used to illuminate computer boards buried deep in cabinets, help me navigate through darkened buildings, find my way across unlighted roofs of tall buildings at midnight, and for those times when I need another hand, it can be held in my teeth. It's small enough to be always available, reliable enough to always work, and even when the batteries are going out, it still outputs some light.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:02 pm
max808 wrote:
After reading this thread over again, it seems most people prefer their edc lights compact yet powerful, light yet robust,
For the record, I have a strong aversion to overly bright lights. They're great if you're stumbling around in the woods tracking Bigfoot, but if you're indoors or doing close-up work, excessively bright lights are blinding. My light that has seen the most use, by far, is a Streamlight Stylus Penlight. It spews out a whopping 11 lumens. It's been used to illuminate computer boards buried deep in cabinets, help me navigate through darkened buildings, find my way across unlighted roofs of tall buildings at midnight, and for those times when I need another hand, it can be held in my teeth. It's small enough to be always available, reliable enough to always work, and even when the batteries are going out, it still outputs some light.
I can second this. My Surefire Sidekick is my favorite light for close quarters indoors use. Nice even flood and a good assortment of low outputs.

Having really low outputs on your EDC light is great for the outdoors too. When I'm camping and get up at night to use the restroom, I don't need anymore than 5-10 lumens to see where I'm going and keep an eye out for copperheads. Hundreds of lumens is blinding and kills night vision.

I wish every light had a 5 lumen or less mode.
max808

Post by max808 »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:02 pm
max808 wrote:
Couldn't agree more, and if you're actually tracking prey there's specialized lights for that with red, green and even blue and UV emitters to track blood trails and such. I've noticed my zebralight 502pr is very soft on the eyes on account of its photo red output of merely 100 lumen but like you say more than enough for most tasks at hand. The UI also allows you to choose between different subsettings and low low is like 3 lumen I think. Some colors it won't pick up as clearly but there's always dedicated cri lights for that. Also it shines out the side so you can clip it to your pants/shirt/hat and work handsfree. My north face backpack has straps on it that allow for this. From a distance however the red stands out most so that is always something to consider...
kobold

Post by kobold »

I should add the Swisscard Lite (I keep one in my wallet). It has to be the champion of low light output. It can maybe do firefly, but not moonlight mode.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
vivi

Post by vivi »

PD32 V2 inbound.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:02 pm
PD32 V2 inbound.
Dude, same. The PD32 UE was my absolute favorite Fenix light I've ever had, and as soon as I read the comments here about there being a PD32 V2 - I had to get one. I also bought a Macrostream to compare it against.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

kerrcobra wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:09 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:02 pm
PD32 V2 inbound.
Dude, same. The PD32 UE was my absolute favorite Fenix light I've ever had, and as soon as I read the comments here about there being a PD32 V2 - I had to get one. I also bought a Macrostream to compare it against.
The Macrostream is really nice, I'm carrying it now. It's more powerful than my skinny pen lights but not as bulky as an 18650 light. It's just small enough for me to comfortably EDC.

Lights the size of my PD36R are carried in my backpack, or clipped to my pocketwhile I'm using them, but I don't carry ones that large every single day.

I've never had any PD32 but I expect to really like the V2. Much more throw than the PD36R, smaller and lighter, and no more fiddling with a side switch to switch modes.

I've come to really prefer lights like the Macrostream and PD32 V2 that let you switch modes with the tail switch.

I expect I'll still carry the Macrostream more often, but I'm excited to try out Wurkkos and Fenix. They both have much greater throw than any lighter I've owned.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I like the form factor of the Macrostream, and I like the 500 lumens, but I really don't like that it turns on high>low. I'd much rather it be low>high or high only.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

I wish there was a way to switch the order on the micro and macro. at least with the micro they make the copper colored ones with the different order.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:55 pm
I wish there was a way to switch the order on the micro and macro. at least with the micro they make the copper colored ones with the different order.
Yeah, man. Same. I don't understand why they don't use the ten-tap programming, that they use on the Protac series, on the Microstream and Macrostream. I have a Protac 1AAA that's about the same size as the Microstream, and it has the ten-tap programming -> and FWIW it's a pretty great light, but I don't have a great track record with AAA-powered 1.5V Streamlights. All of my previous Microstreams and even that Protac 1AAA eventually started to have issues turning on or just "flickering" -> maybe switch failure or something else. I've never quite managed to diagnose it. The Macrostream has a nicer, more EDC-friendly beam profile IMO and size-wise it reminds of the size of my original Protac 2L, which I ran off a 16650, except it's brighter and has the integrated charging port which is neat. My next flashlight purchase will probably be the Protac 2L-X, but it does appear to be a tad bigger than the Protac 2L and I'm guessing is also thicker. I'm secretly hoping they'll one day upgrade the Protac 2L to a brighter emitter; the current offering is only 350 lumens and mine is only ~275 if I'm remembering correctly.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

This came in the mail today.

Got an ARB-L18-3500U charging right now, then it's going straight into my pocket.

I expect I'll still carry one of the smaller Streamlights somedays, but I like the size of this one.