In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

Post by kennethsime »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:07 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:01 am
I’ve got to say, it’s bigger than I expected. I have no idea how to engage the “Turbo” mode - it seems to have a high, low, and extra-low “moonlight” mode.
Try a fast double-click on the side switch.
Yea, that's what the instructions say. I'm not really old, but man do I feel old with this thing.

The tail switch responds to both a long and a short press, the side switch responds to both slow and quick presses with quantity changing the behavior also. According to the manual, there are 5-6 modes, but I've only found 3 so far.

On the bright side, it is reals bright, and it looks reals cool. :cheap-sunglasses
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:44 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:07 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:01 am
I’ve got to say, it’s bigger than I expected. I have no idea how to engage the “Turbo” mode - it seems to have a high, low, and extra-low “moonlight” mode.
Try a fast double-click on the side switch.
Yea, that's what the instructions say. I'm not really old, but man do I feel old with this thing.

The tail switch responds to both a long and a short press, the side switch responds to both slow and quick presses with quantity changing the behavior also. According to the manual, there are 5-6 modes, but I've only found 3 so far.

On the bright side, it is reals bright, and it looks reals cool. :cheap-sunglasses
Ok, I figured to the issue - the WM2 seemed to have a healthy charge from the factory, but the instructions mention that you should "charge fully before using," so I through it on the charger this morning. An hour or so later after I finished my coffee Turbo mode worked flawlessly - I guess it only works if the battery is 60% or more.

Also, the Baton 3 came in at 6:40am this morning, so I had a chance to carry it today.

Much more pocketable - I think it's the new EDC for sure. It's a bit thick, but nice and short - barely larger than the battery itself. Build quality is just like the WM2, but the interface is a bit simpler with only one button instead of two. The AirPods-style case is a huge bonus, especially coming from flashlights designed for AA and AAA batteries. If both batteries are fully charged, I'll have up to 90 days runtime.

This evening, I took a few quick comparison shots of the High and Turbo settings on the i5T EOS, Baton 3, and Warrior Mini 2.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

YLP Unicorn 1.0
Buttery not included (18650)
DSC_0751.JPG
YLP-unicorn (1).jpg
YLP-unicorn (2).jpg
YLP-unicorn (3).jpg
YLP-unicorn (4).jpg
YLP-unicorn (7).JPG
YLP-unicorn (8).JPG
DSC_0817.JPG
YLP-unicorn (17).jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

For years now it's been a 10180 on my keys as my true EDC, and a 18350 when I know I'm likely to need a light. Since the OG Emisar D4 dropped I haven't found a need for another brand 18350/18650 light (or 26650 in the D4S). Customizable UI and many different emitter options. Once I got used to the high CRI SST20 @ 4000K on the D4V2, the Sofirn SC01 has been the only option for my 10180 light.

I have the D4V2 aux lights set to display the battery level (using 3 colors to signify high, med, or low charge), and the ramping UI is easily the most intuitive for me - an easy transition from the Zebralights I used to carry. The only "fancy" mode I use is the emulated candle light mode, which mimics a flickering candle pretty successfully. It works well when camping and placed on a water bottle as a lantern. The moonlight mode is super low (1 lumen or less), and the magnetic cap has been handy when working on the car etc.

Anyone that says you don't need 3000 lumen capability might be mostly correct, but once you get used to having power like that in a dark shed or attic it's hard to argue with finding something immediately using the power of the sun vs rummaging around for it with lesser output.

Like most 10180 lights, the SC01 starts in a low 5 lumen mode with the twist of the head, which is plenty for navigating most places in the dark. Simply twisting it further (not on and off again like most AA lights) gets you to the 330 lumen mode (probably more like 200 IME). It has USB recharging and is my most used light.

I'm shocked by all the lights with low CRI emitters still. It is a total game changer and makes better use of flashlight output by giving you better contrast. I strongly recommend trying an emitter like the SST20 if you get a chance.

Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear WilburHouchin:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Jurmuscle

Post by Jurmuscle »

I love the Olight Baton 3. I have 2 of them.
:usflag :bug-red :bug-white-red :usflag
If we spent as much time trying as we do doubting, we might have already accomplished it.

-Tom
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm still rolling with my 47s Quark QK16L mkIII and a Prometheus Beta QRv2.
--Jeremy
WilburHouchin

Post by WilburHouchin »

It's extremely well when you know what you want.