In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

Post by vivi »

I've tried a lot of EDC lights over the years and they always have a few things I'd like to change.

Looking for the Pacific Salt of EDC flashlights - something I can easily carry every day and not feel overburdened or under equipped.

Let's start with my current light, the Fenix PD25:

Here's what I like about it:

+ Tail switch
+ sturdy clip
+ compact size
+ can recharge with a standard USB cable
+ grippy & durable body
+ Bright

Here's what I don't like:

- It's a bit thick for my preferences (93mm long x 21.5mm wide). AA or AAA form factor would be more comfortable to EDC.
- I do not like silver pocket clips.
- I do not like having to take the battery out to charge the light. My Fenix PD36r and E03r have built in USBC ports but for some reason Fenix does not make a medium sized light with one built in.
- I would prefer a lower low, something in the 1-5 lumen range. I can cover this range with the E03r on my keychain if need be, but would like my main light to offer it too.

So can anyone think of a light around this size, maybe a bit thinner, with a black pocket clip and built in USBC or Micro USB?

I can't find one.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Re: In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

Post by vivi »

Now for some alternative lights I have bought and tried, or looked at and thought about trying:

- Nitecore tip 2. It has a horrible pocket clip and there's a 2-3 second delay to turn the light on. I'm not a fan at all.

- Streamlight Microstream USB. It has a built in USB port and a dark pocket clip, but doesn't get quite as bright. Tried a friends, got one coming in the mail today. It may replace the Fenix.

- Fenix PD22. Tried going back to this light with the battery that came with the PD25, but using the rechargable battery means I only get two brightness levels. Pass.

- Reylight pineapple mini. I was looking at these prior to making this thread. Size looks right and there's enough lumens, but another silver clip and not USB charging option by default. Emailed the maker about compatible batteries with built in charging ports, but seems like a lot of effort to go through to get something that's essentially on the same level as the streamlight.

- Streamlight Wedge. Interesting form factor. Nice clip. Wish more lights would ditch the round tube shape in favor of flatter shapes like this, but I'm not sold on the side switch activation.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The perfect EDC light is like the perfect EDC knife, neither exist. I don't think any one light has all of the features you want.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This is what I settled on after trying many lights: https://www.surefire.com/products/illum ... idekick-a/

Edited to add: If I decide to upgrade, it will likely be to this: https://www.surefire.com/products/illum ... /stiletto/
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have you tried a flat form factor, rather than a round one? Would that be more comfortable?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 am
Edited to add: If I decide to upgrade, it will likely be to this: https://www.surefire.com/products/illum ... /stiletto/
I EDC'd one of those for about a year. It died for no reason I could figure out. Surefire refused to warranty it. I think I'm done with Surefire.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am
JRinFL wrote:
I EDC'd one of those for about a year. It died for no reason I could figure out. Surefire refused to warranty it. I think I'm done with Surefire.
Hmm, that is disconcerting. They used to have a sterling reputation.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

Another light I'm considering is the eagtac D25C mkii. Aside from thelack of integrated charging, it appears to be perfect for me. Glad to see a flashlight company screwing the clip in place too.

http://www.eagtac.com/html/d25crcmkii/specs.html

If I can confirm if works with those fenix batteries my pd25 uses I'll order one. Looks like the battery is a little too long and 2.5a discharge rather than the suggested 3a, but I emailed them anyways.
JRinFL wrote:
This is what I settled on after trying many lights: https://www.surefire.com/products/illum ... idekick-a/

I own a few sidekicks and I love them. Nice flood beam, durable, good battery life, easy to charge and they never come on by accident like other keychain lights.

I can get by with one, but when carrying my gun I prefer something brighter with a tail switch to activate.

One of these days I'll get a gun light and new holster, but until then I like having an EDC sized light that can double as a tactical light.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:14 am
Have you tried a flat form factor, rather than a round one? Would that be more comfortable?
Yes, its much more comfortable, just like an Endura carries better than an Opinel.

The problem is the lack of medium sized flat lights. There's not really anything in between the Surefire stiletto and sidekick that I know of besides the streamlight wedge.

I'm checking a local store to see if they have the wedge in stock to try out.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have the Ti D25C xp-l v5. It’s a good little flashlight, but I don’t use it for day in, day out work.

(I use a cheap p60 clone (r.i.p. Solarforce) with an 2 mode Eagtac triple drop in, on an 18650 for that. Flippin’excellent, very robust, totally reliable).
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I know nothing about these and I am not endorsing them! However, these flat flashlights look interesting. https://www.panthervision.com/product-category/flateye/
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This one is likely too large for your needs, but the Fenix WT20R Multifunctional LED Work Light might be worth a look.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i use a nitecore tini. i like more powerful lights with more modes and options, but i realized i just won't carry a light clipped to my pocket. i forget to grab them and they are typically more than i need. the tini is super bright for it's size and fits on a keychain nicely. i actually carry mine in a pouch i use as a wallet. in my bag, i carry a headlamp in case i need my hands free and the microstream usb is usually in there too, since it weighs almost nothing and takes up hardly any space. it also can double as a flashlight or headlamp backup (if i have a hat).

i'm missing out on a strobe function, but they tend to be too finicky to actually be helpful in a real self-defense situation.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm pretty happy with the Fenix E03R for a keychain light, and I'm very happy with my PD36r for a large light. It's the medium spot that I have trouble filling.
Ric

Post by Ric »

http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html

I use AA and AAA only.
Olight, Lumintop, Fenix and Nitecore.
max808

Post by max808 »

For keychain look no further than a tip ss, my 89 year old neighbor drops hers regularly when she's going through her purse at night. Here's mine, that sorry excuse for a clip you mentioned broke a long time ago
IMG_20210623_215118.jpg
For AA zebralight has decent output, if you use a eneloop pro you have 2.5Ah (up to 2.7Ah after conditioning on the maha) versus your 0.7Ah 123 at a cost of less lumens. Here's my 502pr with a modest 100 lumen
IMG_20210623_220415.jpg
If you say a pd25 is too big for you, I really shouldn't talk about my tk15ue. Safe to say I donated my pd22ue to a good friend and haven't looked back. :D

edited to remove mild profanity (sorry Kristi)
Last edited by max808 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I own about 10+ Led Lenser flashlights.
Most AA and AAA models. Only one using a CR123 Lithium cell and some rechargeable keyring size.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

You may want to look at the Eagletac D25A Clicky MK II, or if you go with the slightly wider DX3B MKII you can get some awesome power -> the only problem with that one is that it doesn't fit your criteria of being thinner than the PD25 (as it is a about .5mm-1mm thicker) but it does have the integrated charging port
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well I believe I found the one.

Came across a Nebo pen light that I nearly bought on the spot. Columbo 250. Very thin, tail switch, usb port built in and can also use normal AAA's, went up to 250 lumens.

I did some research on their site and saw an even more powerful model:

https://youtu.be/MmhA1PFeKi8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373528961839?h ... SwaAtclVdR

Found them for under $25 shipped
kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:38 pm
You may want to look at the Eagletac D25A Clicky MK II, or if you go with the slightly wider DX3B MKII you can get some awesome power -> the only problem with that one is that it doesn't fit your criteria of being thinner than the PD25 (as it is a about .5mm-1mm thicker) but it does have the integrated charging port
I'll take a look at that. The d25c looked nice aside from no charging port.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I edc a Lumintop FW3A. It's pretty near the perfect light for me although there's no such thing just like there's no perfect knife. It's the smallest 18650 light I could find.