In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
max808

Re: In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

Post by max808 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:25 pm

This came in the mail today.

Got an ARB-L18-3500U charging right now, then it's going straight into my pocket.

I expect I'll still carry one of the smaller Streamlights somedays, but I like the size of this one.
Ooh, that one looks nice and chunky, I see a tk15ue in your future somewhere down the line... :winking-tongue
tk15ue.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
vivi

Post by vivi »

maybe. can you remove those anti-roll rings on the body? the pd32 and pd36r are about as fat as my flashlight pocket is designed to hold:

:unicorn
max808

Post by max808 »

Indeed the ring comes off but I like cigar grip so left it on. It clips nicely behind my zippo pouch so no suspicious bulge. With the clip and ring removed it's not much thicker than a pd36 I don't think, but man does it throw...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
vivi

Post by vivi »

Got my first Wurkkos today, an FC12.

The quality seems pretty dang good for a $30 18650 light with 30,000 candela intensity and an included battery.

The knurling is really well done on the FC12. The integrated USBC port is nice but I wish it didn't have a rubber flap. I like it better when the port is hidden by the light body, like my Streamlights.

There are two things I feel the Fenix does much better.

First, the interface. After carrying the PD32 for a few days and getting used to the single button operation, it's tough going back to a two button setup.

On the FC12 you can turn it on or off with the tail switch, change between four brightness levels by tapping the side button, go to max by double tapping it, and go to strobe by triple tapping it.

Now I carry lights like this for general purpose stuff, but think about using either light in a tactical situation. The Wurkkos would take four button presses between two buttons, which require shifting hand positions. The Fenix you merely hold the tail button for one second, and whether the light was on or off the strobe activates.

The other thing Fenix does better between these two is the clip.

I don't wear hats and only carry lights with the lens pointing down. Those two way clips have so much less clearance for simply clipping the light to the pocket. They're much more of a PITA to clip to a jeans pocket, for the sake of extra versatility that's wasted on me.

It's a solid light but I see it as more of a glove box light than an EDC.

The PD32 is smaller, has a better clip, slightly brighter beam testing indoors, 500mah larger battery capacity and a superior interface.

Here's a quick beam shot of them both set on the ground lighting up some forest on max brightness:

FC12:

PD32 V2:

The Fenix has a slightly warmer color compared to the Wurkkos. The Fenix has a more intense center, while the Wurkkos has just a hair more flood outside of the focus point. The Fenix has a wider focus point but the brightness drops off hard outside of it. The Wurkkos has a focus point that's a bit dimmer and more narrow, but the area past that has a more gradual transition.

Inside at minimum brightness 2.5' from a wall:

fc12

pd32
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't have a flash light yet, maybe in a few months I'll buy one. What do you folks thin of the following?

Olight Warrior X Turbo 1100 Lumens Tail Switch Tactical Flashlight, 1000 Meters Throw, IPX8 Waterproof, with 5000 mAh 21700 Battery, Holster, Lanyard etc

Olight M2R Pro Warrior 1800 Lumens USB Magnetic Rechargeable Dual Switches Tactical Flashlight with 300 Meters Beam Distance, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery

OLIGHT Warrior X Pro 2100 Lumens Tactical Flashlight with 500 Meter Beam Distance Neutral White Led,USB Magnetic Rechargeable, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:21 pm
I don't have a flash light yet, maybe in a few months I'll buy one. What do you folks thin of the following?

8< ----------
I'm not familiar with any of those, but I'm familiar with the feeling of not having any "real" quality flashlights, then discovering there is a whole candy store of lights I didn't know of. When I jumped in to rabbit hole, my decision making was probably more tainted by old memories of childhood and youth than my actual current needs. Back those days the chase of bigger, brighter and longest reach were the only important properties of any light. At that time no bright light was compact enough to fit in a pocket anyways, so size wasn't a consideration in the equation.
So my "first" light wasn't a great success. I don't remember the model name, but it was a 26650 powered Olight in the Seeker series. Sure, it was bright. Not really that big considering its power source, well made and lots of features, but it was still too big and heavy to work as a just in case light, in almost any situation. It was really a light of my childhood dreams, a dedicated light that you intentionally take outside to ruin the night vision of any living organism within a mile. Or deliberately look for something that's lost in the dark. Just like the "seeker" moniker would imply to any cognitive person not trapped by their own imagination.
The best thing about that light was the swag (and I usually hate that stuff). Together with the light I got a free Olight i3eos.
It was just a hair bigger than the AAA cell inside it. It went straight in my pocket, never noticed it was there and always ready when I needed it. That was the light that converted me to always carry a dedicated light. Actually, it was the first tiny snowball that slowly picked up steam and eventually turned me on to all the other EDC stuff.

I still have both of those lights. The Seeker is relegated to glove box duty in one of the cars. Rarely sees use, but it's a suitable use case for it. The i3 is currently serving as an "emergency" light in one of my kids school bags. Winter is dark around here, so even though it's rarely needed, it's comforting for him to know that it's there if he does.
My EDC is still a AAA. Much fancier than the i3, of course... that's how the EDC game plays out. AAA isn't for everyone, I get that. But based on my own experience, my advice is to start with something compact, that you know you'll want to carry all the time. When you carry something all the time, you find out what works and not. Maybe you find that a brighter or longer lasting light is worth a penalty in weight and size, but it could just as well tip the other way.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:

Olight Warrior X Turbo 1100 Lumens Tail Switch Tactical Flashlight, 1000 Meters Throw, IPX8 Waterproof, with 5000 mAh 21700 Battery, Holster, Lanyard etc

Olight M2R Pro Warrior 1800 Lumens USB Magnetic Rechargeable Dual Switches Tactical Flashlight with 300 Meters Beam Distance, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery

OLIGHT Warrior X Pro 2100 Lumens Tactical Flashlight with 500 Meter Beam Distance Neutral White Led,USB Magnetic Rechargeable, Powered by 5000mAh 21700 Battery
depends on what you want. That warrior x turbo would be good for lighting up a large yard at night, but not very practical to EDC in your pockets.

I'd start with a small clipped light like my Streamlight Microstream or a keychain light like the Fenix E03R or Nitecore TIP2. That plus a large light for the home or car should cover most bases.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:23 pm
Naperville wrote:

depends on what you want. That warrior x turbo would be good for lighting up a large yard at night, but not very practical to EDC in your pockets.

I'd start with a small clipped light like my Streamlight Microstream or a keychain light like the Fenix E03R or Nitecore TIP2. That plus a large light for the home or car should cover most bases.
Will check them out! Thank you Vivi.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 am
Naperville wrote:

8< ----------
I'm not familiar with any of those, but I'm familiar with the feeling of not having any "real" quality flashlights, then discovering there is a whole candy store of lights I didn't know of. When I jumped in to rabbit hole, my decision making was probably more tainted by old memories of childhood and youth than my actual current needs. Back those days the chase of bigger, brighter and longest reach were the only important properties of any light. At that time no bright light was compact enough to fit in a pocket anyways, so size wasn't a consideration in the equation.
So my "first" light wasn't a great success. I don't remember the model name, but it was a 26650 powered Olight in the Seeker series. Sure, it was bright. Not really that big considering its power source, well made and lots of features, but it was still too big and heavy to work as a just in case light, in almost any situation. It was really a light of my childhood dreams, a dedicated light that you intentionally take outside to ruin the night vision of any living organism within a mile. Or deliberately look for something that's lost in the dark. Just like the "seeker" moniker would imply to any cognitive person not trapped by their own imagination.
The best thing about that light was the swag (and I usually hate that stuff). Together with the light I got a free Olight i3eos.
It was just a hair bigger than the AAA cell inside it. It went straight in my pocket, never noticed it was there and always ready when I needed it. That was the light that converted me to always carry a dedicated light. Actually, it was the first tiny snowball that slowly picked up steam and eventually turned me on to all the other EDC stuff.

I still have both of those lights. The Seeker is relegated to glove box duty in one of the cars. Rarely sees use, but it's a suitable use case for it. The i3 is currently serving as an "emergency" light in one of my kids school bags. Winter is dark around here, so even though it's rarely needed, it's comforting for him to know that it's there if he does.
My EDC is still a AAA. Much fancier than the i3, of course... that's how the EDC game plays out. AAA isn't for everyone, I get that. But based on my own experience, my advice is to start with something compact, that you know you'll want to carry all the time. When you carry something all the time, you find out what works and not. Maybe you find that a brighter or longer lasting light is worth a penalty in weight and size, but it could just as well tip the other way.
I just stumbled on those lights at Amazon. I have to save to buy anything so it will be a while.

Thank you for your reply!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I recently purchased a SureFire E1B Backup duel output flashlight with MaxVision to carry on my toolbelt. It's a nice compact size (3.87" long, 1.13" bezel diameter), uses one CR123A, 3v lithium battery, has a 2-way pocket clip, has the activation switch on the tail cap, and has nice knurling on the aluminum body. The high output is 400 lumens with a runtime of 1.25 hours while the low output is 5 lumens with a runtime of approximately 50 hours. The MaxVision gives you an even, wide beam pattern that's great for broad illumination.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

To resurrect this thread:

I'm looking for a small-ish, flat flashlight to carry in a watch (5th) pocket.

The Surefire sidekick looks like the leading contender, but I'm not a fan of Surefire after my previous experiences with them. Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar light from a different manufacturer?
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:56 pm

The Surefire sidekick looks like the leading contender, but I'm not a fan of Surefire after my previous experiences with them. Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar light from a different manufacturer?
I'd say the Nitecore Tini would be close to what you're looking for. I have the copper version and I love it as a compact EDC light!
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:56 pm

I'd recommend the Nitecore TIP CRI.
--Jeremy
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'll look at the TIP CRI and the Tini. I have a couple other Nitecore lights I've been pretty happy with.

One of my problems is accidentally turning the light on as it rides around in my pocket. How are the buttons on those lights? Stiff enough to not power on accidentally?

Thanks for the advice!
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I don't know about the TIP but on the Tini there's a lockout mode to prevent it from being turned on accidentally.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

SpyderLine wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:59 am
I don't know about the TIP but on the Tini there's a lockout mode to prevent it from being turned on accidentally.
There's a lockout mode on the TIP CRI as well.
--Jeremy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My perfect EDC "dog walking" flashlight would have all of the following features:

It would be powered by a single 18650 or RCR123A rechargeable battery. These are common enough that they're probably going to be around for a long time.

It would not feature on-board USB charging. I find it to be more of a nuisance than a time saver.

It would have a single 500-700 lumen brightness setting, light is either on or off, period. Just one less thing to go wrong since I have no need for dimmer or brighter settings.

It would have either a tail cap switch or a prominent body mounted slide switch. Those switches a lot easier for me to find and use in the dark with a gloved hand that body mounted nearly flush push buttons.

If it uses a single RCR123 it would have a lanyard hole" large enough to accept a split ring. That would allow me the option of hanging it with my keys.

It would either have no clip or the clip would be removable.

Closest I've come, so far, is my Fenix TK15. Aside from having multiple brightness settings, it ticks all the boxes and at least those settings are via a separate button rather than combined with the on/off switch, so less risk of accidentally changing it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:52 am
I'll look at the TIP CRI and the Tini. I have a couple other Nitecore lights I've been pretty happy with.

One of my problems is accidentally turning the light on as it rides around in my pocket. How are the buttons on those lights? Stiff enough to not power on accidentally?

Thanks for the advice!
Depending on what size you’re looking for, I’d highly recommend the little Fenix E05 (about 400 lumen, if I recall). It’s a twisty, but the twist cap is fairly stiff which prevents it from accidentally turning itself on when carried in your pocket.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've been carrying a Sunwayman M11R in that pocket for the past week or two, and that's the one that comes on. I'd prefer a 'flatter' form factor as well.

(Here's a review of the Sunwayman, with photos for approximate shape/size: https://www.everydaycommentary.com/www. ... eview.html).
sok

Post by sok »

I have been carrying a Zebralight daily for ten years. Mostly an 18650 variant.