In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: In search of the perfect EDC flashlight

Post by vivi »

Are there any US flashlight companies to look at besides Surefire? Every time I've lookedat SF's line-up it seems they're a few years behind the competition just comparing specs and ignoring price. Like the Sidekick is twice the size as my Fenix E03R, has one LED instead of two, micro usb instead of usbc, and costs $5 more.

I'd like supporting a US flashlight company but I want more cutting edge specs.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

https://malkoffdevices.com/ and Elzetta (Z-Line only) are made in the US as far as I know. However, they do not do the form factor you are looking for now.

US companies have a lot stacked against them. They do not have an endless supply of cheap labor, they have tons of regulations, fees, taxes, etc. that some countries do not have to deal with. I'm surprised Surefire even dipped their toe in the EDC light market.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I know some folks don't like Olights, but I've been pretty happy with my i3T EOS. Recently, I "upgraded" the battery from a AAA to a rechargeable 3.7V 10440, and it went from 180 lumens to more like 500. The battery doesn't last more than a week during my uses, but then the AAA didn't last more than 2 at the most.

I have an i5T EOS from them also, which is pretty much the same light built for a AA, but the added size makes it a bit more of a pocket hog - plus with the upgraded battery, the i3T is much brighter. I have the clips, but I find carrying them in the bottom of the pocket is good enough for me - I usually don't need to quick-deploy the light, and there are only so many pockets available to clip things to the top of.

I'd like to find something about the size of the i3T, which can put out 500+ lumens more reliably.

I'm planning on picking up a Warrior Mini 2 once they release one in green, but the new Baton 3 Premium with the airpods-style case is a real cool design also. I love the idea of throwing that in my pack for a weeklong vacation and not having to worry about batteries.

I also have a Wowtac A1 I purchased from Amazon for like $20 based on some feedback here - it's my favorite "walking the dog" light. Too big for EDC, but nice to have with me at night. I've only had to charge it twice in the year and a half or so I've owned it, and it sure is bright.
Last edited by kennethsime on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have a few Olights and have no complaint about them, so I never understood the shade thrown their way. Build quality seems better than the few Fenix I had.

I'd like them better if they made a few here in the States. I know, file that under "H" for "Hahahaha, nope."
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have an olight on my bicycle. It's a nice headlight. Very bright, exceptional run time, USBC charging and a power bank feature that's nice if my tail light runs out of juice.

Most of their EDC flashlights usesome proprietary charging methods and I try to avoid those. If the baton 3 had regular USBC charging and a tail clicky I'd be quite interested.

They're also real big on those clips that can be used on hats, that carry tip up or down. I see the utility of those but as someone that hates hats I find its a drawback for EDC. For me it just increases the chances of my light clip catching on something, like a seatbelt or backpack strap.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Ric wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:07 pm
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html
This link is hazardous to flashaholics, such as myself. Now I need a new light, and have rolled the dice on this one: https://shopmecarmy.com/products/cpl-t- ... -led-light.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ric

Post by Ric »

@wrdwrght
I know :D

Thats a cool find.
Not cheap but really something special.
Do you know the runtimes?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Ric wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:09 pm
@wrdwrght
I know :D

Thats a cool find.
Not cheap but really something special.
Do you know the runtimes?
Don’t really know yet, of course, but the claim is here: http://www.mecarmy.com/product/details/353/458

vivi

Post by vivi »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:13 am
Ric wrote:
This link is hazardous to flashaholics, such as myself. Now I need a new light, and have rolled the dice on this one: https://shopmecarmy.com/products/cpl-t- ... -led-light.
that's pretty cool. let us know what you think!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:31 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Ric wrote:
Will do.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Well I was going to carry the Nebo today since the A33 has been getting all the love, but the clip popped off and bent due to me having the audacity to try clipping it to my pants pocket :rolleyes:

If I had a dollar for every bad flashlight pocket clip.....

So I went with the A33. It fits my flashlight pocket perfectly:

Beware if you order from Rovyvon's website though. They signed me up for some bs weekly spam. And I was planning to order something else from them too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Left side - the light I got when I ordered direct from Rovyvon.

Right side - the light that was shown on their website.

I emailed them about it and their response was baffling

Barely an apology. Spent more time explaining to me which one I'm supposed to like better. No offer for a refund, exchange, discount on future purchase,nothing.

If this is the level of support they give for clearly sending out a different product than I ordered, I'm done with them.

Their website, for reference:

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:33 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:31 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Ric wrote:
Will do.
TL;DR Glad I got it.

The MecArmy CPLU is solving problems in my need to find a tool/fixture in my dark garden shed, to check the ammo status in my dark safe, to creep around my house/camper van at night without disturbing others, and so on.

These problems occur because, sometimes, I forget to pocket my AAA Fenix LD02, or forget to lock out its clicky switch so I don’t drain the battery in my back pocket.

Now that the watch band of my Casio Pro-Trek PRG-600 sports this new light, I don’t forget it (rarely do I take off my watch), nor is it likely I’ll. turn it on inadvertently (the switch requires two deliberate taps at a particular interval).

The light gives me ~4 lumens for ~7 hours, ample for my immediate needs, but it can put out -300 lumens for about a half-hour.

Charging through the USB-C port in the light’s titanium case brings back the lithium-polymer battery in one hour. Red and green LEDs show the charging status.

For what it is, this light’s biggest limitation is that the illumination it throws is in the shape of a crescent moon, not an entire circle, owing to the hand blockage. No biggee for me. When I need a full circle of illumination, I have an embarrassment of alternatives.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:30 pm
... When I need a full circle of illumination, I have an embarrassment of alternatives.
Wow, how I understand this statement. :o
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cliffordxu0718

Post by Cliffordxu0718 »

I like olight magnetic tail-cap light. I think it's awesome design.When I was camping, fenix pd35 and olight baton 3 always in my edc bag. :cool:
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

For the purpose of weapon lights, cloud defensive is entirely USA made and overbuilt in every single way that matters the bezel itself is made out of heat treated S7 tool steel.

I'm searching for a decent every day use light myself, rechargeable, multiple brightness settings. Ideally with a form factor that would slip into a pocket if necessary but takes advantage of being able to be built to a larger size for output and battery performance.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tonight I decided to give the tip2 another shot, this time as a keychain light. I figure it's not much bigger or heavier than the Fenix E03R, while offering a larger battery and being much brighter.

I've been carrying one of the rovyvons most days, sometimes the streamlight microstream instead when I want something smaller and lighter.

Think my next light is going to be the Fenix pd36 tactical edition.
vivi

Post by vivi »

testing this out today.

initial impressions are pretty good.

The size is perfect in hand, and the clicky is MUCH better than the mini's.

Battery was nearly empty when I opened it up and it took a good four hours to charge.

Clip is nice and deep with maybe 1/4" of the body exposed, which is perfect for the overall length.

It's just a hair under the PD25's thickness.

I think the Micro actually feels a little too thin / light at times, sometimes I can't tell if it's clipped to my pocket without checking. The Macro so far feels substantial enough to know its there, but not as big and heavy as the PD36r that's burdensome to EDC.

I think the size will be good for day to day use, while I'll carry the Micro or an A33 on days I want to carry a lighter load.

Next on the list is the PD36 TAC. Looks to be a nice upgrade to the PD36r.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Sofirn SC01 on my key-chain is enough for me in the summer.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 am
Edited to add: If I decide to upgrade, it will likely be to this: https://www.surefire.com/products/illum ... /stiletto/
I EDC'd one of those for about a year. It died for no reason I could figure out. Surefire refused to warranty it. I think I'm done with Surefire.
Well Tom since I talked to you previously on this thread recently I've gotten to talk to two more guys that I've known for years who have recently also had bad experiences with Surefire's "Warranty & Repair" ( or the lack thereof). And they were told by Surefire's Warranty Dept. that they wouldn't stand behind their flashlights that they just recently bought from a reputable Surefire dealer.

The last time I ever had to deal with Surefire's "Warranty & Repair" Department I had excellent luck with them and that was the summer of 2018>> I just found the receipt I got at the time and it was in June of 2018. And for years I have had great luck dealing with them. I'm now going to start looking at other products and will see what you guys like the best.

Just the fact that they wouldn't stand behind that high dollar weapon light of theirs is really bad news that I can't overlook. Well good companies have gone bad in the past few years. This really bums me out because for years I have had great luck with the Surefire company but apparently they don't give a hoot about their customers any longer. It's really sickening what greed does to the people.