Airguns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpydieFlicker

Airguns

Post by SpydieFlicker »

Just wondering if any of you shoot airguns. I find it really fun, and the ammo is relative cheap. I currently shoot a Gamo Recon Break-Barrel, and it is really accurate.
Higher

Re: Airguns

Post by Higher »

SpydieFlicker wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:28 pm
It was quite unexpected to see it on this forum. But this is interesting to me. I now have two rifles from KalibrGun. Cricket and Cricket carabine.
There used to be 8 different air rifles at the same time. But I realized that I was moving somewhere in the wrong direction. I sold everything and left only these two.

Some time ago I rented a shooting gallery and a shooting range. I gathered people and held competitions there. We were shooting competitions: Benchrest, Varmint, Longrange. And we went to the neighboring town for the Fieldtarget competition.

But I stopped it a few years ago. Rifles, sights, firing stops remained at my house.

All this is very interesting in terms of self-development. Studying how air systems, sights, bullet ballistics work. And the most important thing is to work on yourself, on your capabilities.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have an air rifle that I use for pest control (mostly pigeons, who seem to have decided to build nests under the eaves of our house, just outside our bedroom window). Looking at the markings, I see that it is a Gamo Whisper Fusion, but I honestly have no idea if that's any good or not. I ended up buying it after working my way up through three other air rifles that had insufficient stopping power for pigeons.

Aside from learning to use it and sighting it in, I've never shot it recreationally at all. Where I live firearms are a major form of recreation, and open shooting is allowed outdoors within minutes of my house, so I've never really though of an air rifle that way.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love airguns. I had a Beeman R1 for many years. I sold it before we moved overseas as it is life in prison for owning one, here. It was a fantastic rifle: accurate and powerful. It was no Daisy, let me tell you. It was as powerful as a .22 rifle. The R1 was a break barrel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

When I was in my early teens I loooooved my .22 Webley Tempest air pistol. It was my dream to possess one, and it was the fruit of a Saturday job sweeping up on a small building site. My father had a pre ww2 break action Webley .22 rifle with modified spring, but that pistol was all mine. Like everything, those are controlled and licensed here now :(
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:39 am
I love airguns. I had a Beeman R1 for many years. I sold it before we moved overseas as it is life in prison for owning one, here. It was a fantastic rifle: accurate and powerful. It was no Daisy, let me tell you. It was as powerful as a .22 rifle. The R1 was a break barrel.
The R1 is an excellent air rifle, but in regards to power, it would be anywhere from 1/10 to 1/3 the power of a .22 rimfire, depending on which pellet and which 22 rimfire round you are comparing.

These tests show a maximum measured energy at 19 ft/pounds at the muzzle of the R1. https://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ourtaker1.html
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:12 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:39 am
The R1 is an excellent air rifle, but in regards to power, it would be anywhere from 1/10 to 1/3 the power of a .22 rimfire, depending on which pellet and which 22 rimfire round you are comparing.

These tests show a maximum measured energy at 19 ft/pounds at the muzzle of the R1. https://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ourtaker1.html
.22 shorts and that R1 were pretty close in penetration and the R1 was flatter shooting. Beeman has some excellent airguns, or they used to. They have some now that are far more powerful.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I've currently got an Airforce TalonP and a Stoeger XM1. The Stoeger is my general purpose plinking and pest control gun. The Airforce is more of an ongoing tuning project.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Among the things I inherited when dad passed was his old Crosman 400 Repeater. I had to tear it down three times before I got the leak sorted out, but it works well now. Uses 2 12gram CO2 cartridges at a time, but it will fire 80 to 100 shots on a charge.
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

I have a Daisy 853 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program and I compete in matches on the Gatewaytoairguns.org forum. Lots of fun.
Attachments
20210701_174731_compress34.jpg
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
Higher

Post by Higher »

bryan123 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:57 pm
... and I compete in matches on the Gatewaytoairguns.org forum. Lots of fun.
It's so cool that people are into sports!

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hey, that's cool. I used to know a young woman who competed many years ago. Since I was in college I did not have time, but that is a great sport...so much fun and a great de-stresser.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Higher

Post by Higher »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:14 pm
Hey, that's cool. I used to know a young woman who competed many years ago. Since I was in college I did not have time, but that is a great sport...so much fun and a great de-stresser.
Yes Yes Yes. It is very fun and interesting. Work earlier on yourself, study the device and forces that affect the flight of pellets.
We call it "fighting the wind"

Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

My son and myself have a couple of Gamo break-barrel rifles. A .177 Whisper Fusion and a .22 Shadow 1000.
Mostly for rabbit with a bit of casual target shooting thrown in.
It’s a lot of fun and good father and son time. :)
We’re eying up an FX Impact M3 PCP as our next purchase.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Some of my fondest memories growing up from childhood into my early 20s were all the cool air rifles I had from the time I was just 9 years old. I started out with a lever action Daisy BB gun when I was a little kid till when I was about 12 years old. Then I graduated up to a single shot, break down barrel air rifle which shot .177 cal pellets or BBs. It was incredible how many frogs and small game I was able to bag with that break down barrel rifle.

Funny that this thread would come up because I've been seriously contemplating getting either a high powered .22 caliber pellet rifle or maybe one of the newer Benjamin air rifles that shoots BBs or pellets. They've got many of these newer air rifles now with similar power to a .22 Cal rimfire.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:03 am
Some of my fondest memories growing up from childhood into my early 20s were all the cool air rifles I had from the time I was just 9 years old. I started out with a lever action Daisy BB gun when I was a little kid till when I was about 12 years old. Then I graduated up to a single shot, break down barrel air rifle which shot .177 cal pellets or BBs. It was incredible how many frogs and small game I was able to bag with that break down barrel rifle.

Funny that this thread would come up because I've been seriously contemplating getting either a high powered .22 caliber pellet rifle or maybe one of the newer Benjamin air rifles that shoots BBs or pellets. They've got many of these newer air rifles now with similar power to a .22 Cal rimfire.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I have a crosman I got at Walmart for $90. 177, came with a scope. I use it for squirrels and other pests. Does the job!

I see they have AR pattern bb guns... I may have to get me one for the heck of it!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would get into Air competitions but the guns are just ridiculously expensive.....I shot a $2k FX Impact and it was nice.......but, $2k? Come on now......
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have some Gamo that I used for pest control when I lived in the suburbs. I have been living out in the woods for years now though so the 10/22 does all my pest control now. I haven’t fired air rifles for fun since I was a kid. With the current ammo situation I should probably take it back out.

I am curious about some of the big bore air guns though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:38 am
I would get into Air competitions but the guns are just ridiculously expensive.....I shot a $2k FX Impact and it was nice.......but, $2k? Come on now......
You are paying for innovation and small batch construction from an expensive country. I don't own one due to the price, but I will not say that they are not worth what they ask. FX is not the only high end high priced air gun maker.

I have a mass produced Benjamin Bulldog which is much cheaper than an FX, but still not as cheap as a 10/22. Big bore is a whole 'nother game. You really need a HPA tank and/or your own compressor. Big bore AGs are longer than firearms, with less power. The trade off is that AG ammo over the long haul is cheaper*.

* Not always
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001