Airguns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Airguns

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:38 am
I would get into Air competitions but the guns are just ridiculously expensive.....I shot a $2k FX Impact and it was nice.......but, $2k? Come on now......
You are paying for innovation and small batch construction from an expensive country. I don't own one due to the price, but I will not say that they are not worth what they ask. FX is not the only high end high priced air gun maker.

I have a mass produced Benjamin Bulldog which is much cheaper than an FX, but still not as cheap as a 10/22. Big bore is a whole 'nother game. You really need a HPA tank and/or your own compressor. Big bore AGs are longer than firearms, with less power. The trade off is that AG ammo over the long haul is cheaper*.

* Not always
Yeah, I saw real quick it can be a rabbit hole
NorWest_05

Post by NorWest_05 »

I have 2, a Ruger AirHawk which has been modified (spring broke as well so I had to fix that) and a Cometa Fenix 400. all 2 are in .17 cal. Me and my friend used to always go out and shoot pest birds.
Higher

Post by Higher »

JRinFL wrote:
... FX is not the only high end high priced air gun maker.

Big bore is a whole 'nother game. You really need a HPA tank and/or your own compressor. ...
* Not always
When people hear AirGun, they think it's very simple.
Let's just say that this is also not a cheap pleasure. About what people are used to.

I was unable to buy a good competition scope for less than 500Usd. Again, high pressure cylinders, charging stations. Other equipment. All this in duplicate for the competition.

Yes, we usually have high pressure cylinders.
I once used the AirGun with knives.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Higher wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:05 am
JRinFL wrote:
... FX is not the only high end high priced air gun maker.

Big bore is a whole 'nother game. You really need a HPA tank and/or your own compressor. ...
* Not always
When people hear AirGun, they think it's very simple.
Let's just say that this is also not a cheap pleasure. About what people are used to.

I was unable to buy a good competition scope for less than 500Usd. Again, high pressure cylinders, charging stations. Other equipment. All this in duplicate for the competition.

Yes, we usually have high pressure cylinders.
I once used the AirGun with knives.
I'll say this though, it was incredibly fun!
The shooters were absolutely excellent. It seems to me like a high admission but, once that admission is paid your gtg. It's has 2 HUGE advantages imo
1. And can't be overstated- you can shoot just about anywhere. Try finding a place with over 500 yards to shoot now a days - and I'm talking about the remote azz place where I live! I would imagine most people would prolly be in trouble with an ordinance or HOA rule if they were to shoot there high powered rifle in their neighborhood. But, these air guns are so quiet.
And it's a helluva good way imo, to introduce the younger people into the shooting sports as well as first timers because there's no big bang and no recoil
2. Ammo is cheap and plentiful.....see what it cost to shoot 168 SMK's now a days........forget about 300wsm or other magnum calibers lol......
I'm seriously thinking about getting an air rifle......
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey I got a couple of questions for you guys who are up to date on current air rifles and CO2 pistols? I'm seriously contemplating getting myself a new, high quality air rifle to hunt small game with. The 2 units that have caught my eye are the German made "Anshutz" and the US made Benjamin rifles. Or maybe there is some other newer air rifle on the market that might even outperform either one of those?

Also I'm wondering if there are any good Forums on air rifles currently up and running? Also are there any websites with good, up to date information on air rifles and other related items?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:25 am
Hey I got a couple of questions for you guys who are up to date on current air rifles and CO2 pistols? I'm seriously contemplating getting myself a new, high quality air rifle to hunt small game with. The 2 units that have caught my eye are the German made "Anshutz" and the US made Benjamin rifles. Or maybe there is some other newer air rifle on the market that might even outperform either one of those?

Also I'm wondering if there are any good Forums on air rifles currently up and running? Also are there any websites with good, up to date information on air rifles and other related items?
You have to set a firm budget first before deciding what to purchase. That will determine what technology (HPA, CO2, Spring, Gas Strut, SSP) you can get and which guns are best in that bracket. If you don't, you'll get suggestion ranging from $50 to $5000.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:33 am
JD Spydo wrote:

You have to set a firm budget first before deciding what to purchase. That will determine what technology (HPA, CO2, Spring, Gas Strut, SSP) you can get and which guns are best in that bracket. If you don't, you'll get suggestion ranging from $50 to $5000.
Well I'm just going to say right up front that I am not going to spend upwards of $5000 for any air rifle or pistol. Probably my cut off point on what I would spend for a quality air rifle would be in the $300 to $500 range. And I would expect a unit that would be accurate and of decent quality for that price range. And with the current economy in such an uncertain quandary at this point I'm willing to bet that there will be several good quality units which are used and/or pre-owned that would be exactly what I'm looking for.

I've talked to two people I trust that have both had experience with those Anshutz air rifles. Also I've heard from reliable sources that this newer generation of Benjamin air rifles are really decent units as well. But I'm wide open for suggestions.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:44 am
JRinFL wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Well I'm just going to say right up front that I am not going to spend upwards of $5000 for any air rifle or pistol. Probably my cut off point on what I would spend for a quality air rifle would be in the $300 to $500 range. And I would expect a unit that would be accurate and of decent quality for that price range. And with the current economy in such an uncertain quandary at this point I'm willing to bet that there will be several good quality units which are used and/or pre-owned that would be exactly what I'm looking for.

I've talked to two people I trust that have both had experience with those Anshutz air rifles. Also I've heard from reliable sources that this newer generation of Benjamin air rifles are really decent units as well. But I'm wide open for suggestions.
Surely not these Anschutz rifles? https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/air-rifles.html
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have read good things about the Benjamin gas-strut rifles. Also consider Diana, RWS, & Weihrauch in your search. I have a couple of Weihrauch I purchased many years ago, excellent spring guns.

Edited to add:
This deal is intriguing. Too bad I can't justify one for myself. https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/gas-ra ... tec-combo/
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:44 am
JRinFL wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Surely not these Anschutz rifles? https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/air-rifles.html
Lol, that's what I was thinking too....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:13 am
I have read good things about the Benjamin gas-strut rifles. Also consider Diana, RWS, & Weihrauch in your search. I have a couple of Weihrauch I purchased many years ago, excellent spring guns.

Edited to add:
This deal is intriguing. Too bad I can't justify one for myself. https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/gas-ra ... tec-combo/
Very interesting that you bring up those "Diana" air rifles because just a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine mentioned those. And he had really good things to say about those "Diana" air rifles.

I've had two air rifles over the years that you could pump them up about 3 to 5 times and it would give your BB or Pellet some wicked velocity. That one rifle I had that the barrel broke downward and thus pumped it and gave it a charge at the same time. I can't remember exactly which company made it but I was told that Red Ryder owned that particular company. But for GOD sakes that was all the way back in the mid to late 1960s :eek: Yeah I'm dating myself a bit for sure :o
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm a big .22 LR guy (& competitor) but a good friend (who's also into 22's) has started practicing at home in his backyard with a Daystate. He's really pleased with it and he's trying to convert me. If I still lived in a house with a basement I'd be all over it

https://daystate.com/product-range/

These are more up my alley but have always been a little out of my price range

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/air-rifles.html

^ I have an Anschutz 22 target rifle and it's a heck of a shooter

Feinwerkbau is awesome too!

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Home?setA ... natively=1
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:35 am
I'm a big .22 LR guy (& competitor) but a good friend who's also into 22's has started practicing at home in his backyard with a Daystate. He's really please with it and he's trying to convert me. If I still lived in a house with a basement I'd be all over it

https://daystate.com/product-range/

These are more up my alley but have always been a little out of my price range

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/air-rifles.html

^ I have an Anschutz 22 target rifle and it's a heck of a shooter

Feinwerkbau is awesome too!

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Home?setA ... natively=1
Yeah I've heard from a couple of friends of mine who are heavily into target shooting that Anshutz made one of the best .22 rimfire target rifles on the planet. German engineering is just awesome!! I think I'll come back as a billionaire in my next life so I can endulge in these upper tier toys.

One lady friend of mine who went to college at TCU ( Texas Christian University) was on a target shooting team and she said they Anshutz air rifles and they were so accurate you could almost light matches with them. And this gal is one heck of shot with rifles and pistols. I forget how many deer she told me she has bagged.

I think I also remember her saying that they had those "Diana" air rifles there as well.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm not big into these things, but I will say this. I bought one of the Benjamin Nitro Piston break barrel pistols, and the trigger is atrocious. I've had cap guns with better trigger pulls, so "try before you buy". The rifles may be better, but I wouldn't bet that way.