The worst cut I've ever had was made by a ladder

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

The worst cut I've ever had was made by a ladder

Post by Evil D »

Well, it's been an interesting week at the Evil D homestead. Tuesday I was having an awesome day off work when all of a sudden I screwed it all up by deciding it was time to clean out my gutters. I should have just kept chillin and enjoyed my evening because it went south pretty quick.

Long story short(er), as I was climbing down from the roof my ladder, which fortunately was on the back deck of my house, slid out from under my foot as I took my first step down, and having nothing to grab onto I went down like a sack of taters and landed on the ladder. Being on the back deck (bi-level house) was fortune since I only fell 8 or so feet onto my back, but my elbow landed on the edge of the ladder and gashed open what would turn out to be the worst cut I've ever had outside of surgery.

I'll spare the forum the gruesome pics. I got 6 stitches, which I really feel wasn't enough.

And of course it has to be the tattooed arm, because why wouldn't it be? Should be easy to touch up if the scar messes it up. I had mostly finished reprofiling my Jumpmaster 2 just before all this. At least this is my left arm and I'm right handed. Whole arm is swollen and I'm pretty sure I sprained an ankle but at least I didn't hit my head on anything.

I'll get back with everyone with edge retention test results for the ladder :rolleyes:

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Re: The worst cut I've ever had was made by a ladder

Post by The Meat man »

Good grief David! :( That looks pretty bad. Hope you heal up soon!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

**** dude, that definitely is a bummer. Though you know that could have been worse in so many ways.

Your ink should be fine though. Friend of mine wrecked pretty good on his sport bike a few years back, he had a full sleeve as well and road rash chewed it up a bit but once he recovered it surprisingly didn't look too bad in most places.

Also if you do need a touch up, thankfully that didn't happen in a more sensitive spot like directly on your elbow or up near your armpit...you clearly know that's uncomfortable haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Jeez. At least no bones broke. I always wedge a little jemmy / pry bar between deck boards but I reckon you’re the last person who needs a lecture on ladder safety, now, though.

Best wishes for a speedy mend, David.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:57 am
Jeez. At least no bones broke. I always wedge a little jemmy / pry bar between deck boards but I reckon you’re the last person who needs a lecture on ladder safety, now, though.

Best wishes for a speedy mend, David.

Yeah, or at least wait for my wife to hold the ladder on my way down. Lots of dumb decisions that day. I was thinking the whole time, I can't believe I'm actually falling off this house right now. Then got up and saw blood going everywhere and just let out the longest uuuuuuuuuuuggghhhh.
~David
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Glad that you came through that looking pretty good. You could have broken your back! I've been fortunate using ladders for many things and have not had a fall. Just dumb luck I guess.

I was going to clean the gutters here last week but my brother came down with a bad case of MSSA, MRSAs claimed less potent cousin. If anyone tells you that, don't believe them, MSSA can kill you just as fast.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

PS...I also love the look on your dogs face in that pic hahaha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wow! I am very glad you came out of this with relatively minor injuries. Although that cut looks nasty and painful. Heal quick!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:11 am
Wow! I am very glad you came out of this with relatively minor injuries. Although that cut looks nasty and painful. Heal quick!
I've never seen so many fat come out of a cut before. It looked like a bloody taco full of cottage cheese

🤣
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Jesus dude, thank god you are ok. That is some serious stuff and you got lucky! I’ve known people who have died from falling off a ladder at 4 feet. I work on ladders/extension ladders every day so know firshand the dangers. Serious stuff, glad you are alright man.
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I just saw this. Man, what a bummer! Ladders are dangerous for a fact. I am glad you weren't seriously hurt. The wound was not very deep, thank God.

I got cut on my hand by an aluminum ladder. I was coming down and somehow missed a step and trying to catch myself I gouged out part of my palm. Ouch.

Be careful and wait till your wife is around to hold the ladder.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 am
I just saw this. Man, what a bummer! Ladders are dangerous for a fact. I am glad you weren't seriously hurt. The wound was not very deep, thank God.

I got cut on my hand by an aluminum ladder. I was coming down and somehow missed a step and trying to catch myself I gouged out part of my palm. Ouch.

I keep thinking, just a foot further back was my patio table and I could have hit my head on it coming down so I'm happy with what I got. It split open down to the muscle and bone though.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wow. Sorry that happened to you, David. But I’m glad that you weren’t hurt even worse.

I use a tool with an extendable handle called Gutter Sense to clean my gutters from the ground. Not the best quality tool in the world, and I’ve seen other types of tools you can use from the ground that may be better, but I’ve had it for years, and it’s much better than climbing a ladder (which I virtually never do anymore, unless I’m going like 3 feet up).

I’ve been thinking of getting Leaf Filter installed over my gutters, but am not sure if it’s worth it or not. My one-story house isn’t overly big, and leaves only get into the gutters at certain areas, although I use my tool to check the gutters all around the house when I use it.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am
Wow. Sorry that happened to you, David. But I’m glad that you weren’t hurt even worse.

I use a tool with an extendable handle called Gutter Sense to clean my gutters from the ground. Not the best quality tool in the world, and I’ve seen other types of tools you can use from the ground that may be better, but I’ve had it for years, and it’s much better than climbing a ladder (which I virtually never do anymore, unless I’m going like 3 feet up).

I’ve been thinking of getting Leaf Filter installed over my gutters, but am not sure if it’s worth it or not. My one-story house isn’t overly big, and leaves only get into the gutters at certain areas, although I use my tool to check the gutters all around the house when I use it.

Jim

Whoever built this house back in the '70s decided to plant a Sweet Gum tree in the front yard so I've got spikey balls and helicopter seeds filling the gutters every year and on top of that I've never felt like the gutters drain right anyway so I have to clean them out a few times a year and I've been slacking this year.
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 am
JRinFL wrote:
I've never seen so many fat come out of a cut before. It looked like a bloody taco full of cottage cheese

🤣
Sorry you got hurt. But your taco analogy has given us a visual that we can't unsee/unimagine 🤮
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hahah, bloody taco!! Wow! :D I was going to hit the taco truck down the street for dinner on my way home, but I think I may hold off until tmrw..

Glad you're upright and on the mend!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
archangel

Post by archangel »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:18 am
JRinFL wrote:

🤣

Yummmmmmm.... :D Hope you'll be fine really soon. I'm sure it hurt like ****, but I guess you could say that it could have ended much worse....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Doc Dan wrote:

... or soften the drop zone. :eek:

Nah, j/k. ;) Hope you don't mind, David.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
James Y

Post by James Y »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am

Jim

Whoever built this house back in the '70s decided to plant a Sweet Gum tree in the front yard so I've got spikey balls and helicopter seeds filling the gutters every year and on top of that I've never felt like the gutters drain right anyway so I have to clean them out a few times a year and I've been slacking this year.
You might try looking in to Leaf Filter. I don't know if it's offered in your neck of the woods, but if they do, it could save you the trouble of doing that at all. They install it right over your existing gutters. The only thing it allows into your gutters is water.

As far as your taco analogy goes, my stomach can take it. I've seen too many gross things in my life for that imagery to negatively affect my appetite much. Except for one thing: cottage cheese! Yuck! I've always hated cottage cheese...

🤢

:D

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

archangel wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:

... or soften the drop zone. :eek:

Nah, j/k. ;) Hope you don't mind, David.

Well actually that's the first thing I said was I'm glad she wasn't under me or we'd both be hurt because she couldn't catch me.
~David