Finch knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Finch knives?

Post by Doc Dan »

Has anyone got any experience with Finch knives? I think they are made by QSP in China, but wow! some of the designs are pretty good. I especially like the 1929. It is basically a barlow, with a flipper and a lock, and modern materials and construction. Very nice looking. I have no direct experience with Finch, though. I have been considering getting one. What do you all know?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Re: Finch knives?

Post by JRinFL »

I have looked at them, been interested in a few, but decided to pass as I already spend enough money at that country. I wish new knife companies would do more work at finding alternate sources to have their products produced.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I looked at them, and wasn't excited enough about 154CM to buy one. I see that they have some 14c28n models now, so maybe I'll look again at some point in the future.

There was a thread here a while back where someone had one, but I can't remember who it was.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I recall member "M Sea" talking about that brand of knives a few months back. He may be able to provide you some feedback Doc.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:19 am
I recall member "M Sea" talking about that brand of knives a few months back. He may be able to provide you some feedback Doc.
Yes, I have several and they are excellent. The actions are exceptionally smooth on my Holiday, 1929 and Tikuna. No complaints at all. Very impressed.i would be happy to provide size comparison photos with popular Spydie for anyone interested.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you happen have any thoughts on their Cimmaron?

I realize I'm not normal, but I actually prefer 14c28n to 154cm.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I do not have a Cimmaron but I can say that where I see Finch doing so well is with the details, all the little things they just get right. The knives have the feel of a much more expensive knife. All my Finches are 154cm and have been fine in the year that I have owned them. Here are some photos with a PM3 for reference.
08ED8BEA-5DD3-49CB-8D71-6CE50F032720.jpeg
0919929B-84DF-494D-8887-2910E17A877A.jpeg
142BA201-DAB8-48F0-B551-3BE815FDAEAC.jpeg
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Those are three great looking knives. I especially like the 1929 and the Holliday.

How is the fit and finish on them? I know you said they are smooth, but what about the fit of the bone to metal (or micarta to metal)? How about the sapphire crystal shield? Is is seamlessly inlaid, or are parts too proud, or are there gaps?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 pm
Those are three great looking knives. I especially like the 1929 and the Holliday.

How is the fit and finish on them? I know you said they are smooth, but what about the fit of the bone to metal (or micarta to metal)? How about the sapphire crystal shield? Is is seamlessly inlaid, or are parts too proud, or are there gaps?
Thank you, I consider the fit/finish to be excellent. Ox-bone to metal and micarta to metal fit was flush, no gaps. Centering is perfect. The micarta is smooth or “polished,” but I am a fan of rough or textured micarta. The crystal shield (which also glows in the dark) on my Tikuna does stand off a bit. Its flush on the other two but I know this varies. The 1929 and the Holiday are definitely my favorites.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I've been drooling over the Crawdad bone 1929.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 am
I've been drooling over the Crawdad bone 1929.

The 1929 is my favorite Finch, just really cool. Love that little knife.