Short(age) stuff

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kiwisailor

Short(age) stuff

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, just curious as to what product shortages you have noticed in your area ?

Here it is 5 litre (gallon) plastic buckets.
Darn near impossible to get hold of. weird.
We use a lot for bulk mixing of polyester and Epoxy resin.

Nitrile gloves have just jumped from $19. Per 100(50 pair) to $42. Ouch, but, at least they are available.
I buy Milking gloves, still industrial grade, but not the High Risk thickness.

Have heard that ships are by -passing New Zealand to go to other countries, as we are not high volume enough.
This is causing problems exporting fruit and vegetables.
Is anyone else noticing continued issues?
murphjd25

Re: Short(age) stuff

Post by murphjd25 »

Oh yeah, it’s just about everything here. I know theirs a chlorine shortage, and don’t even get me started on the lumber thing going on right now. My father in law saw this coming because he’s a old logger, and set up his own mill and has been cutting all of his own lumber for projects. Beef has gone up, shoot just about everything has quadrupled in price or you just plain can’t get it.
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

lumber and chicken wings have gone up a ton in price. wings are at or over football season prices which is not typical for spring and early summer, and sheets of plywood & 2x4's are 2-3x regular price.

there were runs on the gas stations when colonial got hacked. gas prices are up an average of about $1.20 compared to this time last year.

the latest xbox and playstation consoles have been in short supply since launch. switch supplies were spotty during 2020 but seem to have stabilized.

heard this was due to issues with one of the major chip mfg companies in taiwan having issues.

graphics cards are reportedly higher in price these days but I haven't built a PC in a decade so can't comment much on them.

stores around here are doing fine staying stocked for the most part, besides the videogame stuff which isn't very important.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I heard about the chlorine shortage and saw everything was out online. Went to my local lowes and they had plenty of pool chlorine. 🏊‍♀️
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:30 pm
lumber and chicken wings have gone up a ton in price. wings are at or over football season prices which is not typical for spring and early summer, and sheets of plywood & 2x4's are 2-3x regular price.

there were runs on the gas stations when colonial got hacked. gas prices are up an average of about $1.20 compared to this time last year.

the latest xbox and playstation consoles have been in short supply since launch. switch supplies were spotty during 2020 but seem to have stabilized.

heard this was due to issues with one of the major chip mfg companies in taiwan having issues.

graphics cards are reportedly higher in price these days but I haven't built a PC in a decade so can't comment much on them.

stores around here are doing fine staying stocked for the most part, besides the videogame stuff which isn't very important.
If you can even get a graphics card. Crypto miners buy them all, and what there is for pc people is outrageously priced. I was lucky to get mine and my wife's computers built right before everything went crazy. I wanted to eventually get a better video card (I've got an rx580 8gb) but it does the job well and I can wait. She's got an rx 5700 though, so a little better. Processors shot up right after I got ours as well (ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 3700).
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 pm
I heard about the chlorine shortage and saw everything was out online. Went to my local lowes and they had plenty of pool chlorine. 🏊‍♀️
You must have stopped in right after a shipment arrived. Mine has been out of stock for a month and my HD had a small amount in stock. Of course, in most of Florida the percentage of pool owners is very high compared to many other areas.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Wood allegedly is very expensive right now. Decent sheets of plywood are $75 to $125 each.

Firearms and ammo have been hard to find for more than a year. Prices have skyrocketed.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

All that stimulus money in everyone's pockets seemed awesome when it happened, but now the consequences are evident. Everything has gone up in price, anything you want costs more...so that "free money" really isn't looking so free these days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I scrapped one of my old cars for chlorine tablet money. A sentence I never thought I'd type.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:57 pm
Firearms and ammo have been hard to find for more than a year. Prices have skyrocketed.
Glad I stocked up in late 2019. Had to cut down on range time a bit to pace my stash, but I'm still in good shape.
soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:55 pm

If you can even get a graphics card. Crypto miners buy them all, and what there is for pc people is outrageously priced. I was lucky to get mine and my wife's computers built right before everything went crazy. I wanted to eventually get a better video card (I've got an rx580 8gb) but it does the job well and I can wait. She's got an rx 5700 though, so a little better. Processors shot up right after I got ours as well (ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 3700).
Ah, that makes sense.
:unicorn
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I was all set to start work on a new terrace, but from the planning stage in late April to early May, to execution that was supposed to start last week, material cost was up almost 100%. Availability is also not as good as a month ago, but still possible to source without too much trouble.

Will be using my old terrace a little longer
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 pm
Oh yeah, it’s just about everything here. I know theirs a chlorine shortage, and don’t even get me started on the lumber thing going on right now. My father in law saw this coming because he’s a old logger, and set up his own mill and has been cutting all of his own lumber for projects. Beef has gone up, shoot just about everything has quadrupled in price or you just plain can’t get it.
Same here, everything has gone up, especially Beef, Gas, Lumber and Epoxy. It's awful, what a mess.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:22 pm
I scrapped one of my old cars for chlorine tablet money. A sentence I never thought I'd type.
Wow, that's crazy!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

M Sea wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:12 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wow, that's crazy!!
Not even 8am yet and I'm already calling it that's the craziest thing I'll read all day haha! That is wild though. I hope you're well stocked up SG!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We go through a lot of rubber gloves at work. We can get them but the price is high. Thankfully we buy many cases at a time and are well stocked. Nitrile was only available in xxl and we had to buy latex to get large.

Pressure treated lumber is still hard to find here. I was supposed to build a big wrap around deck for the pool this summer. Not gonna happen.

Ammo. It is either crazy expensive or non existent. I learned my lesson in 2008 and started reloading and hoarding supplies.

Tried to buy a brisket and they wanted $6.99/lb. I didn’t want to spend $100 on a brisket and passed. That was three weeks ago and apparently it has gone up. I hunt so the freezer is packed with venison. We don’t eat a ton of beef anyway. I ended up smoking a venison meatloaf instead. Came out great!

Thankfully we stockpile chlorine at work. We have about 40 five gallon buckets of pool pellets which will get us through the summer. If I need some for the pool I will just borrow some from work. We also have a mountain of empty 5 gallon buckets.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not to be an a**hole, but I have almost the opposite problem with ammo.
Shot quite a lot of competitions until covid hit and then almost nothing for 1,5 years. To avoid running out of good ammo I had some orders placed well ahead in time, so when the ammo kept coming in and almost nothing was used it quickly started to accumulate. Now I have somewhere between 25-30k finished rnds + reloading supplies for a few hundred hunting rnds, which isn't crazy much, but it is at the very brink of what I can safely store. Every cabinet is stuffed, no functional organization possible, so finding what I need is PITA. It's a nice problem to have though, so I will refrain from complaining.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Garden furniture & camping equipment are in short supply here again, apparently. It’s a good time to sell off all the old redundant gear ….
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:57 pm
Wood allegedly is very expensive right now. Decent sheets of plywood are $75 to $125 each.

Ammo prices are creeping down, and I've had plenty of stock to choose from at a shop local to my job. Sure, I'm paying more but it's only money and it's not like I'm buying 1000 rounds at a time. Just a few boxes here and there. Went shooting yesterday and went through about 300 rounds of 9mm. Felt good.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Anything to do with a bike.

I have been waiting on parts for months.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
What are you using the chlorine tabs for?
Water purification?

VoodooChild, is that Mt. Bike or Motorbike parts?

We have issue with wood supply here as well.
Timber mills were closing down everywhere past 5-6 years with loss of jobs, due to it being cheaper offshore.
We have been exporting unprocessed wood to China.
They process it into lumber and plywood, then send it back to us.
At a now, much Higher price, that is if it is available at all.
House builders just cannot build houses which adds to the chronic housing shortage here.
Houses are ridiculously priced in NZ.

Pretty much out of most people's range.
$1.2 million for a 2-3 bedroom weather board dunger in Auckland...