Curious, whats everyone's edc backpack?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Curious, whats everyone's edc backpack?

Post by Naperville »

Trav64 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:14 pm
Naperville wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:17 pm
Trav64 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:47 am
Very nice, man you've got all the bases covered ha, I'm still trying to get a good kit for my truck and car, might have to steal some ideas.
I get carried away taking notes when I read and watch videos.
Ha, me too, end up with bout 1000 things to get
The reason why I do it is so that once I get some expendable cash, I know what I need.

For example: Just bought 2 Faraday Bags for the key fobs so that the new car would not be stolen.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

"Outdoor Products" brand, unknown model, purchased from Walmart for ~$20. I've used this bag for everything for ~5(?) years, now. Work, travel, motorcycle, bicycle, hiking, walking, it does everything for me and has held up great.

Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:28 am
"Outdoor Products" brand, unknown model, purchased from Walmart for ~$20. I've used this bag for everything for ~5(?) years, now. Work, travel, motorcycle, bicycle, hiking, walking, it does everything for me and has held up great.

Nice, that looks pretty good.
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

I use a GORUCK GR1- in blue and Silver (limited edition) https://www.goruck.com/collections/gr1? ... UCK%20Site
or an Evergoods CPL24 https://evergoods.us/collections/civic/ ... der-24l-v2

Both have pros and cons, but they are great day bags.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Trav64 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:43 am

Someday I'll get something better. I've been bingeing George Defined on YouTube. He reviews alot of packs. So many different layouts and options!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:17 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:05 pm
Wow, how is the z6ii? I have several dslr Nikons, a d810, 2 d750s for several years. I just bought the z5 last Christmas since there was a sale on B&H and I got one plus the adapter for a good price. The wysiwyg shooting in mirrorless cameras is great! I found that I didn't chimp as much as I was on the dslrs. Now I barely use the others and primarily use the z5. But I found focusing to be a wee bit of an issue especially in low light. Does the z6ii have better AF?
my previous camera was a d7000, so i can't compare the af to anything else. it's definitely better, but it still isn't perfect in low light. those pictures probably wouldn't come out anyway. most of my low light photography is astro, so i manual focus anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll wait another year or so before I try to pick up a z6ii, I'll just stick with the z5 for the moment.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:10 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:00 pm
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... pack/34400

Usual load out would be:

- charging supplies
- 10000mah battery
- sawyer tap filter
- water bottle (added a 5.11 water bottle pouch)
- switch + games
- bluetooth speaker
- chef coat, pens, sharpie
- knife roll
- first aid kit
- repair kit
- snacks
- poncho
- leatherman rebar
- cold steel recon tanto

Doubles as a day hike pack too.

I have the large version too. I use it for weekend trips out of state and car camping.

Vi, this is an interesting bag and its price is reasonable to boot, way lower than Maxpedition and 511. Do you have actual pics of this? I'm interested since they offer reasonable shipping to here, less than 20 euros.
Low price because it is chinese made, but I couldn't tell until I saw the tag inside. It's rugged. Might not be 100% same quality as maxpedition, been a few years since I bought anything of theirs, but it'll last.

Mine is going on 2 or 3 years and looks new. They're an incredible value.

Not the best choice for pure ultralight style hiking as you can find lighter bags with bigger capacity for that, but these are perfect for EDC, casual day hikes, overnighters etc.

There it is with the water bottle holder

Water bladder slot in the back, zipper pouch back there too great for keys wallet etc., main compartment, mesh divider.

chest and waist straps on both sizes.

There's compression straps on the side, I usually use them to hold gear. Straps on the bottom for sleeping pads etc. Large version has compression straps on the top of the pack too.

On the small version the two small pockets on the front have no internal dividers, big version has some pockets sewn into the top pouch.

Thank you for the pic heavy review, much appreciated! I'm liking the fabric, it's one of those that aren't the flimsy lightweight fabrics many pack manufacturers are using for outdoor rucksacks nowadays. And the zippers sure do look beefy. The shoulder straps look wide enough to be comfortable too. One of the problems I have with most rucksacks nowadays are the thin and narrow shoulder straps, definitely uncomfortable for loads heavier than 20 lbs.

For a 2-3 y.o. pack, it sure does wear nicely. I can't see any premature frays or abraded fabric. I'll be looking into this pack.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:57 pm
Trav64 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:43 am

Someday I'll get something better. I've been bingeing George Defined on YouTube. He reviews alot of packs. So many different layouts and options!
Ill have to check him out.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I used to be a backpack addict, and I still feel naked without one, but I’ve cut way down on the buying and researching.

Now the term EDC is in many ways very thinned out in the EDC-/IKC, where most rotate their gear pretty regularly, but my EDC backpack is REALLY an EDC item for me. I bring it with me everyday unless there is something out of the ordinary that requires specific preparations.

It’s not designed as a GHB, but it would still be an advantageous asset to have in such a situation. The climate here is quite unstable and can be unpleasant at times, so I always carry a rain-shell, wool hat, gloves and such, that can serve as reinforcement in case the weather turns sour and the clothing that was appropriate in the morning is no longer sufficient. Given that there are no obvious threats where I live, my office is less than a 15km walk from home and the fact that I have some gear stashed in my car as well as a gym locker and a PPE locker at work, stuffed with PPE, gym clothes, spare clothes etc, I don’t see any reason to carry a lot of extra gear that (hopefully) never gets used, in order to rig my daypack as a GHB

The backpack itself is a Goruck GR1, which isn’t a very original choice in this community, but still a somewhat peculiar choice for me. My background is very much from outdoor and hunting, and only since about 2016 did I even know the term EDC or own a folding knife. Yeah, imagine that :)
I have until quite recently been working as a field engineer and traveled around the world on a regular basis, really putting my “EDC” backpacks through the hoops. My outdoor experience led me to trusted outdoor brands like: Norrøna, Osprey and Arc’Teryx, but they all left me wanting..
A few years back I was able to pick up a used US made GR1 at a reasonable price, and low and behold, it’s the best EDC backpack I’ve ever used. I’m not at all in the tactical camp, and while the GR1 is almost stepping into that domain, I think it strikes a nice balance of being very neutral in appearance while still being plenty tough, durable and comfortable.

Many of you are probably already aware of my bias toward small EDC folders and minimalistic approach to EDC. And my on body EDC can probably come across as quite incapable of doing any meaningful work. That's more or less by design. Since I (almost) always have my backpack near by, the stuff that goes in my pockets are more for convenience than capability.

<A typical minimal pocket carry, mini prybar carried inside wallet. Sorry for the BM instead of Spyderco , used old archive photos to save time>

Those who are familiar with the Goruck GR1 knows that there are a few compartments, so I'll just go through the organization briefly.

Top pocket Inside of lid - Quick access items used with some regularity:
-El-cabinet access key
-Benchmade rescue hook with spare cash strapped to the sheath
-Postal stamps (facing retirement when used up as we have moved on to digital stamps)
-small pouch with in-ear ear buds and lightning to 3.5mm adapter
-metal container with ear plugs
-small padlock for the gym, airports or wherever I might need to safely store something for a while
-small selection of regularly used pen, pencil and markers
-GITD zipper pull that came with the bag

Bottom pocket inside lid - hygiene items mostly:
-hand sanitizer
-tooth picks / floss
-eye drops
-lip balm
-hand cream
-backup watch

Front pocket - quick access items used with high regularity or in meetings/situations where I want to access them discreetly:
-Pouch with all the cables I tend to need
-Bluetooth mouse
-Key chain w/ keys, USB storage, USB SW dongle, compact bit driver, small small pry bar, Prometheus QD (house and post box keys w/ QD removed for my safety). All titanium hardware
-Work site access card (not pictured)
-Laptop power supply (in use, so also not pictured)

Main compartment:
-Rain jacket
-Rain pants
-Leather gloves
-Thin wool hat
-Thin wool neck gaiter
-Water bottle
-Small pouch w/ self contained power system (power pank, USB wall adapter, lightning cable, microUSB cable, microUSB to USB C adp)
-Molle compatible straps so I can attach larger items externally if larger capacity is temporarily needed, or carrying dirty/wet items that I don't want inside my bag
-Multitool attached to internal molle
-Flashlight attached to internal molle
-bit driver attached to internal molle
-bit kit attached to internal molle (Stanley 30 pcs, not i pic)
-sometimes a larger folder or fixed blade attached to the internal molle, but knife laws are a pain, so only in safe areas or when clearly justified
-Lots of free space to carry whatever else I would need to carry on any specific day.

PC compartment:
-Laptop or iPad Pro
-Note book

Besides this bag, I have a gym bag and a bike/hike backpack that I also use with some regularly for EDC - it just depends what I'm doing that day and how I travel/commute. I might post a rundown of those as well. Some day. Travel, hiking, hunting, backpacking and such, are obviously different than this in mindsets and requirements and not the scope of this backpack.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:28 am
I used to be a backpack addict...

Thanks for going into such detail. :)
I've been looking at GORUCK packs.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Sea to Summit silnylon with a drypack-like closing.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
yuyus

Post by yuyus »

i have Osprey Backpack
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear yuyus:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
rgc

Post by rgc »

EDC pack depends on the day and sometimes time of day.

Monday-Friday during the work day it is a Hill People Gear Attaché. One side caries my computer and a legal pad and the other side caries everything I might need that I don't carry on me.

After work and running around town I gave up on a belt bag or fanny pack and ended up going to a sling bag made by Vitkos. It is their Upscale 2 Sling bag. The front zipper holds some Band-Aids, meds and wipes, a boo-boo kit if you will and the sun glasses section holds a head lamp. Next pocket gets back to things I might need in an emergency not on me like a small flashlight, TQ, fixed blade, some tape and ranger bands, a lighter, a emergency blanket and a ifak. The final section holds what it was meant for.

If I am traveling and/or need extra space to carry stuff and water bottles I grab my Hill People Gear Junction Pack. This pack is the perfect size for a day hike or edc pack. Usually it is kept empty and then filled with what I think I might need depending on the situation or traveling companions.

Get home bag (I do a fair about of driving across north Florida) is a Hill People Gear Umlindi pack with a Heavy Recon Kit Bag too. But get home bags are not edc, at least not for me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Funny the timing of this thread. Because lately I've been wondering about the old "Maxpedition" company. I had a couple of their items some time back but was forced to sell them due to overwhelming medical bills. The Maxpedition stuff is rather pricey but it sure seemed to be good quality and rugged. I used to see their stuff all over the place but in the past 3 to 4 years I hardly ever see their stuff anymore.

Also I've still got some gear made or licensed by VICTORINOX. Whoever made that Victorinox outdoor gear did a fabulous job for the money. And I still have two of their heavier fanny packs made by them that can sure take a ton of punishment in the outdoors. I've owned some of VICTORINOX gear since all the way back to 2006.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I've been working from home since the pandemic started, so I don't really have a ton of use for a backpack anymore, but prior, I had a Victorinox VX Sport Cadet backpack which I really love.

This is what I carried: Laptop & Charger, Lightning and USB Cables, Laptop HDMI/USB Dongle, USB Battery Pack, Mini First Aid/Medicine Kit, Pens, Sharpie, Notebook, Wireless Earbuds, Wired Headphones, Flashlight, Umbrella, Water Bottle, Swiss Army Knife*, Hand Sanitizer, Flash Drive, Miscellaneous Cash/Coins, Small Maxpedition Organizer, and whatever book I was reading at the time.

* Back then, I carried a Classic SD, but now I'd probably carry a CyberTool 34 due to the versatility.
Current Collection
Chaparral (All Variants), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Sage 5 LW, Slysz Bowie, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Some mighty nice stuff here. Maybe too nice for me since mine generally end up soaked in fish slime on a good day. Use to be able to find something halfway decent every once in a blue moon at Goodwill, but pretty slim pickens nowadays.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

DSLR bagpack
Last edited by Makunochimaster on Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I’ve been very impressed with my Osprey backpack. Specifically, the Osprey Porter 30. (See dimensions/specs at bottom). I wanted something relatively smallish that could serve as a carry-on pack for when we fly and I think this pack accomplishes this quite well. I love how it has three primary compartments: one on the front for gear, one main for clothing, and one on top for cell phones, sunglasses, etc. It also has a laptop compartment at the back, which is pretty slick. The straps are storable in the event it needs to be sent via checked luggage. It is constructed with very sturdy, rain-resistant materials. There are also a number of smaller compartments on the interior of the pack to help keep your toiletries or smaller gear items organized. I purchased mine when they were on sale and I’d say it has been worth every penny. Here are some shots of the pack:

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
rgc

Post by rgc »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:22 am
Some mighty nice stuff here. Maybe too nice for me since mine generally end up soaked in fish slime on a good day. Use to be able to find something halfway decent every once in a blue moon at Goodwill, but pretty slim pickens nowadays.
A couple years ago my wife came home from the Goodwill bins with a Kelty Map 3500 that they did for Amron. She got it for pennies, I was so happy. My oldest now has it in her trunk as a get home bag.