Rough few weeks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cabfrank

Rough few weeks

Post by cabfrank »

Lost my mom. I know everyone goes through it. I lost my dad 20 years ago, so I thought this would be easier. It's not. She lived a great, long life, but I'm having a tough time. The way it went is too long to write, but it was difficult, though quick, and definitely the better alternative given the situation. I didn't miss any work, because I needed some distraction from it all. I'm struggling to shake the feelings though. I've often wondered why people share these things on the internet, with people they haven't met, but I must admit typing it gives me a little relief. I know it will get better. No responses necessary, I guess I just wanted to sort my thoughts a bit, and type them. Maybe I need to buy a new knife, or something. Anyway, take care everyone. Give Mom and Dad a hug and kiss.
The Meat man

Re: Rough few weeks

Post by The Meat man »

Cabfrank, I'm so sorry for your loss. My parents are in their 50's and I can't imagine how devastating it must be to lose them. I will be praying for you and your family.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I really have no words of wisdom or help. Lost my dad late last year, it sucks. He was my best friend. My condolences.
Josh
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thank you both. It means a lot. It's just hard.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm very sorry to learn this cabfrank
I can certainly sympathize with ya man.
Both my parents are gone.
And, your exactly right. It's just hard. It really is.
I'm really glad though, that just writing this out gave you a little relief.
We're all here for ya.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Having family and friends are what make us, and when we lose them, what break us.

Stay strong.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

My deepest condolences, cabfrank. We always keep our loved ones in our hearts, long after they are gone.

It is hard now, but I can tell you that it does ease with time. My mom passed in December 2019. I had been her caregiver for years, and full-time her final year. My dad passed back in 2000.

I fully understand your desire to write it all out. I remember writing a post about it when my mom passed. Sometimes just writing out your feelings can be cathartic in itself. You are not alone.

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You are all making me choke up, with good feelings. Thanks.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Give yourself time to grieve and take care of yourself, cabfrank. We will be here to listen. And definitely buy yourself a new knife.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My parents are both gone. I was far away and did not even know they had taken a turn for the worse when I got the call each time that one of them passed. It gets easier with time, but I don't think you ever really get over it. Cabfrank, I am sorry you are grieving over them. It often doesn't seem like it, but it will get better.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It's not a feeling that I can relate too, and I dread even thinking about.

I do though totally understand the feeling of just getting things off your mind/chest and typing them out. I know I have a couple threads in here where I shared more personal things, like the loss of a long time friend who had turned his troubled life around. Or my own issues with alcohol or sometimes very abrasive attitude towards others.

It's a good feeling, we're all here when you want to let it out!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sorry for your loss. My mother passed last year and my father passed 21 years ago. Many of us are on parallel journeys, so know that you are not alone.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Condolences Cabfrank.
Processing grief is very individual; allow yourself the process whatever it may be.
May you find Peace.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Scary stuff. My folks are getting old and it is a source of worry for me. My mother took a bad fall about a year and a half ago. Had to have emergency brain surgery due to internal hemorrhaging and is still “recovering” from a traumatic brain injury. The result is that her balance still isn’t always great. We almost lost her and I was terribly frightened by it all. She has fallen a few times since and I constantly worry that the next one will be the last.

While I haven’t lost a parent yet I am a momma’s boy and the idea of it frightens me terribly. Even as a middle aged man I am afraid to navigate life without them.

Hang in there, this is an experience we all must face. Unfortunately I do not believe the mantra that time heals all wounds. I have lost grandparents, close friends as well as dogs and I still mourn those losses today. We just learn to live with it. It’s our only choice really.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
benben

Post by benben »

I'm sorry cabfrank, my sincerest condolences! Give yourself some time to grieve, stay strong for everyone around you!

When my mom passed my dad was a complete mess, and my sister was worse than him, I handled everything! So it was right at 3 weeks after she passed that I was out in my garage drinking a beer late at night and completely lost it for hours it seemed, it was the healthiest thing I went through during those 3 weeks! It's going to hit you, hard, so get ready!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thank you all so much.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

cabfrank,
My Dad passed 15 years ago and my Mom passed two years ago (next week). It's a difficult path, but you're not alone. Give yourself the grace to grieve, and share when you need to. I too thought after losing my Dad that I'd be more prepared to lose my Mom, but nothing could be further from the truth. Keeping you and yours in my thoughts.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm 35, I lost my mom 4 years ago, she was 59. I'm really sorry for your loss, there is nothing I can say to make things better. It sucks, the situation sucks and life is precious. Hug those that you love and appreciate the things in life that we sometimes take for granted. Just know that she would want you to thrive.
So it goes.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I feel for you. My dad passed on the 22nd of May while I stood vigil. He was 90. Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2005, so every morning she's still breathing is a surprise.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:30 pm
Lost my mom. I know everyone goes through it. I lost my dad 20 years ago, so I thought this would be easier. It's not. She lived a great, long life, but I'm having a tough time. The way it went is too long to write, but it was difficult, though quick, and definitely the better alternative given the situation. I didn't miss any work, because I needed some distraction from it all. I'm struggling to shake the feelings though. I've often wondered why people share these things on the internet, with people they haven't met, but I must admit typing it gives me a little relief. I know it will get better. No responses necessary, I guess I just wanted to sort my thoughts a bit, and type them. Maybe I need to buy a new knife, or something. Anyway, take care everyone. Give Mom and Dad a hug and kiss.
Sorry for your loss, hope your doing well. I too reached out to the forum for support not knowing what to expect. There's some wonderful people around here, they definitely helped me get through a tough time the past week and a half.