Rough few weeks

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cabfrank

Re: Rough few weeks

Post by cabfrank »

There sure are, thanks to everyone. I hope you are doing better, Josh.
yablanowitz, sorry about your dad. That wasn't much after my mom. A good age though, I guess, not that it makes it easier.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sorry for your loss, cabfrank. It pulls the ground from under your feet in so many ways.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I really hope you will find peace and comfort. I have had a few loved ones pass away too, and one thing I know, each passing doesn't make the next one much easier to bear. We can only be thankful that they lived, and made an impact in our lives.

You will get through this, but don't hasten the grieving process.

As one of my favorite quotes of all time said, "Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil."
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know the feeling, my mother passed on May 18th 2018 and every May is a struggle for me, and I'm just now coming out of the funk from it this time around. I think it's important to get whatever support you can get from whatever source you can find.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Know the feeling. My condolences

Find little ways to honour her helps. Hanging tea towels up properly or anything she had to remind you all the time of as a kid.
Every time I hang a tea towel neatly or use one of her wooden spoons, I have a little thought of my mother.... ;)

It’s always time that heals loss wounds...

PS Wish I had a $1 for every time I copped a whack with one of those wooden spoons as a child and I turn 50 this month.....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Cabfrank,

Although time heals, there may still be occasions when a memory will trigger emotions.

Like Evil D, there is a month that is tough for me and I have mixed feelings about; November. To be exact, right around Thanksgiving. My dad passed a day or two after Thanksgiving in 2000, and my mom suffered her final stroke right in front of me a day before Thanksgiving in 2019, although she passed in the hospital in December. On the one hand, I view it as the time of year that both of my parents were freed from their conditions. On the other hand, it’s the time I lost both of them.

Grief is something we all deal with in our own time. Before my mom passed, I couldn’t imagine how I was going to deal with it when the inevitable happens. But as time has passed, I’ve realized that things have gotten better. They will for you, too, cabfrank, as well as for everyone else here who has lost loved ones.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm so sorry for your loss.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I can't relate yet to the loss of a parent, but my Mom & Dad are getting older and have been talking a lot with me lately about their plans for retirement, their wills, and their wishes after death. It seems very morbid, and I don't expect it will make things any less difficult when the time comes, but I'm glad we're having these conversations now so I can honor them in death in the way they please. Until then, I try to make the best of every moment that I have with them.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, cabfrank. I hope you are able to find some comfort in the happy memories you have of your mother.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thank you everyone, for all of your kind words and thoughts. I appreciate it.
max808

Post by max808 »

Sorry for your loss Sir. I like to think the soul is immortal and moves on to the next dimension. Have heard beautiful stories of pure light and a supreme sense of peace...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I've found remembering and celebrating lost loved ones on their day of passing and on their birthday, along with a shot of the beverage of your choice, as a means of coping. Making a positive of a negative is, for me, the best way to move on. I feel it's important to remember the good times with these fine, extraordinary people... that's what brings a smile to your face each and every day.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thank you both. I agree with all of it. I don't think the end is really the end, I am a believer in a shot of one's choice, and I know that when the sadness wears off the good memories will remain. I appreciate the kind and wise words.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cabfrank I haven't been in this section much lately and just saw this. I lost my mom 25 years ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever been through. She was 56, the same age I am today. I still miss her all these years later. I regret that I couldn't share so many things in my life with her. But then I realize I have shared with her, she just can't give me the feedback she used to. Her birthday was a few days ago. My dad's been gone almost 13 years now. That was hard too

I think reaching out to friends on an internet forum is a good thing. Even if you've never met any of us and don't really know us it's still great therapy. I'm glad you decided to tell us what's going on. It seems like it's given others a chance to reflect too

Hang in there! Cherish the memories and years that you've had (and have) with your loved ones
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thank you, sir. I appreciate it.