Pool owners

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Pool owners

Post by JRinFL »

Fellow pool owners, what are your plans during this chlorine shortage? Anyone switching to salt or bromine? Maybe ozone is the way to go?
I was at my local Lowe’s today and there were no tabs to be had, except for the super expensive single packs.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RLR

Re: Pool owners

Post by RLR »

Go salt and never look back. Had it for years and years. Little to no maintenance. Costs a couple bags of salt per year ($20-$30) some shock packets (you can use cell to “superchlorinate” but it’s tough on the cell) and regular stuff like stabiliser and ph control.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I used to service pools. The most pleasant one (required 15 minutes if it was filthy) had a salt system. So a salt system may be the way to go. If you must stick with chlorine, keep trees and other vegetation trimmed and take the net to the pool regularly.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Salt is the way to go. Less hassle, less expense, cleaner pool.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thanks everyone. I have to research salt systems again to get up to date on current pricing. Pools can be such money holes.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I have a pool and my recommendation is skip the salt, skip the chlorine and go with the best solution of all... 2 trucks of cement.

My wife won't let me do it, but I would love to.

I have spent a lot more time opening, closing, cleaning, skimming, vacuuming, backwashing, testing, adjusting, refilling... than I have swimming. "Must be so nice to have a pool" some of my extended family say... yeah, so nice.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

^ This. The **** thing about that, though: it costs just as much to get rid of a pool as it does to have one put in. I have no desire to do year-round maintenance on something that can get used only half the year (unless you're lucky or have a heater) If I'm looking for a new house, a pool is an automatic deal-breaker.
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Dan In MI wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:25 pm
^ This. The **** thing about that, though: it costs just as much to get rid of a pool as it does to have one put in. I have no desire to do year-round maintenance on something that can get used only half the year (unless you're lucky or have a heater) If I'm looking for a new house, a pool is an automatic deal-breaker.
Was a deal breaker for me too... and yet, here we are.

And this year I get to replace the liner, patch the concrete surround, replace the pump and salt cell, and possibly filter. There goes a new car.

A pool is a hole in the ground where you throw money!

And to bring it back to the OP, I have a salt cell, and recommend it over chlorine... if a couple cement trucks aren't a viable option :rolleyes:
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

bobnikon wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:26 pm
And this year I get to replace the liner, patch the concrete surround, replace the pump and salt cell, and possibly filter.
The entire filter assembly? If so, unless you have a lot of vegetation in your backyard, a cartridge filter might be the way to go.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bobnikon wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:07 pm
I have a pool and my recommendation is skip the salt, skip the chlorine and go with the best solution of all... 2 trucks of cement.

My wife won't let me do it, but I would love to.

I have spent a lot more time opening, closing, cleaning, skimming, vacuuming, backwashing, testing, adjusting, refilling... than I have swimming. "Must be so nice to have a pool" some of my extended family say... yeah, so nice.
Buahahaha, THIS EXACTLY!!! Couple of loads of dirt and you’ve got a beautiful garden instead of a hole in your yard you pour money into. :p
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’ve threatened to fill it in more than once. Liner replacement and deck repair are next on the horizon. :mad:
M.N.O.S.D. 0001