Knife Rights STOPS Texas Knife Lockdown Bill!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
critter

Knife Rights STOPS Texas Knife Lockdown Bill!

Post by critter »

Knife Rights STOPS Texas Knife Lockdown Bill! We are very happy to announce that the Texas Knife Lockdown bill, HB 4415, has, for all practical purposes, died without a committee vote. All normal deadlines to move the bill have passed. To paraphrase, stick a knife in it, it's done!

This ill-conceived bill would have required broadly defined "retail establishments" in Texas, including knifemakers at knife shows, to only display knives "in a locked transparent case accessible only with the assistance of an employee of the establishment."

Thanks to all who used Knife Rights' Legislative Action Center to email and call the committee members to oppose this terrible bill. Todd Rathner, Knife Rights' Director of Legislative Affairs, met numerous times with legislators, their staff and others to explain the adverse impact the bill would have had. Your calls and emails helped reinforce his lobbying efforts against the bill.

This is the ninth anti-knife bill in seven states that Knife Rights' lobbying efforts have been directly responsible for stopping. Alongside our record of Rewriting Knife Law in America, we're also the only knife advocacy organization on the front lines in the state houses effectively stopping bad knife bills, with your support.

Knife Rights (www.KnifeRights.org) is America’s grassroots knife owners’ organization; Rewriting Knife Law in America™ and forging a Sharper Future for all Americans™. Knife Rights efforts have resulted in 33 bills enacted repealing knife bans in 23 states and over 150 cities and towns since 2010, as well as numerous litigation victories.
JRinFL

Re: Knife Rights STOPS Texas Knife Lockdown Bill!

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t even live in Texas, but thank you for your efforts.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Excellent news. Hoping for similar good news in my neck of the woods soon.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Just out of curiosity, what was the reasoning behing "locked behind glass"?

In my country everything is always behind locked glass because of the risk of theft.
critter

Post by critter »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:14 am

In my country everything is always behind locked glass because of the risk of theft.
While some retailers do display some knives under glass for that reason, many stores have inexpensive knives readily available in hanging clam shell and blister packaging. Many have knives on display behind a counter hanging on a wall or in boxes stacked in shelving visible behind a counter. All these would have needed to be locked up as the bill was written.

There was a fatal stabbing in a WalMart last summer using a knife that was on display. As best we could tell, that was the only such incident on record in Texas.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That's ridiculous, as is having spray paint under lock and key.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:14 am

Here too, always almost everything of value is behind locked glass counters.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet