Recommend a high end chef's knife for wife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
awa54

Re: Recommend a high end chef's knife for wife

Post by awa54 »

As a "basic" upgrade knife set, an 8 or 10" Forschner/ Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife and matching paring knife is a great option with excellent ergonomics, ease of maintenance and at a ridiculously low price. The downside is that they're not particularly sexy and the steel is plain old Swiss Army knife stainless, the other side of that coin is that the steel is very stainless, easy to sharpen and unlikely to ever chip.

My favorite compromise so far, between performance and easy keeping is the Tojiro DP line of laminated VG-10 knives in Westernized Japanese blade patterns. These aren't budget priced, but aren't super spendy either, again I'd suggest the 8 or 10" gyuto and 4" petty as a starting point. One thing to be wary of though, is that the exposed blade heel can be hard to get used to at first if you've learned your knife skills on European style paring knives... expect to get bitten a few times before handling habits change!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
benben

Post by benben »

Very nice kwakster!!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow, Kwakster, those are great. Where did you buy them?
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Directly from the brothers through Facebook (when i still had an account), but in the past i've also seen their knives sometimes at Chefknivestogo in the US.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

If you want a great chefs knife in the 2-$300 range you can’t go wrong with a GLOBAL SAI. I do a lot of cooking and have used them for years. FWIW.
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

Many good thoughts guys. I'm really liking the look/price/performance of the Bradford chef's and paring knife. They look nice, have premium steel, US made, and are surprisingly cheap for a mid size M390 knife. I think im going this route.

Does bradford ever have sales? I have a couple months to wait if they commonly do a memorial day sale or something along those lines. Or anyone know of a coupon code for them? Thanks again for the good recommendations all around

I really like the look of those euro knives, but seems hard to source
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Bradford knives does have sales, you have to sign up for emails and they do a yearly. Someone else may know the yearly date.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm not sure if Bradford has any regular sales dates. I'm on their email list, so I get notified of sales but it's always irregular, and it's always specific models.

I know that I bought their m390 Chef and Paring knives on sale when they first released them, but I haven't seen them on sale since then.

Bradford makes good knives. I have 6 of their (non kitchen) fixed blades in a variety of steels, along with their m390 Chef and two of there m390 paring knives. I really want to pick up their Kirinite scales at some point.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:47 pm
What about Spyderco's kitchen cutlery?
Agreed. Why no talk of the culinary line designed by the great Murray Carter? Here's a direct link to one: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Gyuto/1823

And one to the lower cost line: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Gyuto/1833
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Chef knives to go's kohetsu line gets you great steel for a good price. A little cruder compared to higher end japanese knives, but not bad.

On the opposite end - Kramer's stainless line is relatively affordable and feel great
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

A Kohetsu in HAP40 steel @ ~65 HRC would indeed be a very good choice among production kitchen knives.
Some more info:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/koh ... t-19911835