Whisky

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Whisky

Post by kennethsime »

Anyone else here like whisky? Scottish whisky, that is.

My Dad gifted me a bottle of Oban and a bottle or Bowmore for my 18th, but that was long enough ago that I don't really remember much. Last year, a friend gifted me the Laphroaig 10, and since then I've started down the road of trying to figure out what I like best. So far, that's the Laphroaig, the Laddie, and the Oban. I've also tried a few other things friends have brought over, and a few blends I got in 50ml bottles, but none of them were good enough to revisit in the full-size bottle. Of the blends, I liked Dewar's 12 the best - nothing much to complain about.

Here're my quick tasting notes for everything pictured above.
  • Laphroaig 10: Vanilla, toasted marshmallow.
  • Ardbeg 10: Similar, but less peat, less vanilla, more campfire smoke.
  • The Laddie: Hot cinnamon, toasted marshmallow
  • Lagavulin 16: Murky, muddy, dirty, peaty, capsaicin, medicinal... it's better than it sounds. Probably the most complex here.
  • Oban 14: Wow, that's really good. Fruity, rich, sweet, great for the whole family.
So far, I think it's best enjoyed neat. I've tried adding a few drops of water, but I always feel like it takes away from the experience more than it adds.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Whisky

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to enjoy Scotch and Bourbon as well. Alas, I can no longer drink any of it.

I tend to like smooth whiskies with complex palates. I am a heretic. I kept mine in the refrigerator. I like it cold, but no ice. Just neat or a slash of water only (a splash of water releases the aromas). I like the way the whisky behaves as it warms in my hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It’s Scotch whisky ;)

You’ve chosen some great ones, there! I think Oban is my all time favourite. The Lagavulin is my favourite peaty Islay. Laphroig is lovely but often a bit “full-on”.

I used to drink it neat, but age (mine) and wisdom (other people’s, obviously) caught up with me, so now I usually take it with ice, so it travels from neat to dilute over the course of the dram, which works well for me.

I’m not xenophobic, though :) . Bourbon, Irish and Japanese whiskies also find their way to me from time to time.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 am
It’s Scotch whisky ;)

You’ve chosen some great ones, there! I think Oban is my all time favourite. The Lagavulin is my favourite peaty Islay. Laphroig is lovely but often a bit “full-on”.

I used to drink it neat, but age (mine) and wisdom (other people’s, obviously) caught up with me, so now I usually take it with ice, so it travels from neat to dilute over the course of the dram, which works well for me.

I’m not xenophobic, though :) . Bourbon, Irish and Japanese whiskies also find their way to me from time to time.
Yea, I know it says Scotch right on the bottle, but that word has always struck me as derogatory - thus Whisky. Everything else is Whiskey. ;-)

The more I drink Oban, the more I like it. I started with the Islays, and I do enjoy them, but man Oban is quite well rounded. I feel like that's my choice for serving guests.

I haven't tried ice yet - maybe I'll do that soon. And I'd sure love to try some Japanese whiskies as well!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 pm

Yea, I know it says Scotch right on the bottle, but that word has always struck me as derogatory - thus Whisky. Everything else is Whiskey. ;-)
If anything saying scotch immediately identifies what you're drinking. Whiskey/whisky is a catchall. I've seen some other countries use whisky as well. Bourbon is a very specific whiskey. I'm not sure how scotch would be derogatory though. I'm sure the people of Scotland are very proud of the spirits they produce.

Personally I'm a Peated scotch drinker. I lean towards talisker as one of my favorites. Almost like drinking smoked salt water. I think of the beach when I drink it. I've had a few bottles of their storm and like it. Also had one of their distiller editions. I enjoyed Ardbeg and need to get some more. Also enjoyed Laphroaig too. I haven't had the signature lagavulin aka the 16yr. Only the GOT 9 yr version. Which was still very tasty. Even found if you left it for a bit the glass smelled of bananas. I've had some unpeated scotches too and it's good if I'm in that mood. Had a sample of Macallan 12 yr last night. Definitely could taste the oak. I drink everything neat. Sometimes I'll add a drop or 2 of water if I'm feeling wild to open it up. Usually only do that with something over 40%abv.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don't drink, never have, but Scotch Whiskey always remind me fondly of my late Father in Law. A Scottish/English man of refined tastes and manners, poet, painter, teacher, and lover of fine Scotch Whiskies.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wild Turkey 101. Tastes like American freedom. Always on the shelf and always reasonably priced. Jimmy Russell is the GOAT and a good man to boot. There are more expensive bourbons but to me there are none that check all my boxes.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:52 am
Wild Turkey 101. Tastes like American freedom. Always on the shelf and always reasonably priced. Jimmy Russell is the GOAT and a good man to boot. There are more expensive bourbons but to me there are none that check all my boxes.
Also a big fan of 101.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like whiskey but I'm no connoisseur. Buffalo Trace is what I usually have on hand. Lately, I've been drinking Witherspoon Bourbon made in the town next to where I live. It tastes just like Buffalo Trace to me lol

https://www.witherspoonwhiskey.com/stra ... bonwhiskey
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I mostly drink bourbon and Irish whiskey. Bourbon when I want something with some bite and Irish whiskey when I want something easy drinking. I like scotch but still haven’t fully grasped the hype around it.

I drink it neat or with a splash of water. I also really enjoy a good old fashioned. Definitely my favorite cocktail. I am a bit of a drinker so sometimes I just do shots and I am no stranger to some bourbon and cola. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

VashHash wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:52 am
Also a big fan of 101.

The desire to nerd out on bourbon is strong. I tend to do that on most hobbies but I knew I needed to just pick one and stop all the chasing and searching. 101 can be had anywhere at anytime and not have to sell a kidney for it. My mother was kind enough to gift me a bottle of Angels Envy last weekend and while it is spectacular, the amount of hustle for her to get it was insane. A friend of hers has a father in law with connections at Ft Rucker PX. He bought her a few bottles and was supposed to get mom one. It fell through and mom had to buy one from her friend. Screw all that, just pour me WT101 and let everyone else hunt, hoard, and overpay
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:27 am
I don't drink, never have, but Scotch Whiskey always remind me fondly of my late Father in Law. A Scottish/English man of refined tastes and manners, poet, painter, teacher, and lover of fine Scotch Whiskies.
Some of these old boys new how to take it, well enough!

I used to know one old guy who would sit down, open a new bottle and throw the cap into the fire. You knew what you were getting into with him, though.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

VashHash wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:03 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 pm

If anything saying scotch immediately identifies what you're drinking. Whiskey/whisky is a catchall. I've seen some other countries use whisky as well. Bourbon is a very specific whiskey. I'm not sure how scotch would be derogatory though. I'm sure the people of Scotland are very proud of the spirits they produce.

Personally I'm a Peated scotch drinker. I lean towards talisker as one of my favorites. Almost like drinking smoked salt water. I think of the beach when I drink it. I've had a few bottles of their storm and like it. Also had one of their distiller editions. I enjoyed Ardbeg and need to get some more. Also enjoyed Laphroaig too. I haven't had the signature lagavulin aka the 16yr. Only the GOT 9 yr version. Which was still very tasty. Even found if you left it for a bit the glass smelled of bananas. I've had some unpeated scotches too and it's good if I'm in that mood. Had a sample of Macallan 12 yr last night. Definitely could taste the oak. I drink everything neat. Sometimes I'll add a drop or 2 of water if I'm feeling wild to open it up. Usually only do that with something over 40%abv.
Yea, it's a pretty anachronistic hang up of mine, honestly. Scotch was an English word for Scottish people back in the day. As a kid, I was taught that Scots say Scots, or Scottish - Scotch was a derogatory term used by Sassenachs. It should be noted, the term has clearly been embraced for food products like Scotch Whisky + Scotch Eggs. So I guess I'm fighting a losing battle, but there it is.

I'd love to try Talisker - it's on the list, for sure. I found the Lagavulin at Costco, which helped a lot with the price. MacCallan is also on the list - supposed to be the most typical Speyside!

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:36 pm
I used to know one old guy who would sit down, open a new bottle and throw the cap into the fire. You knew what you were getting into with him, though.
Man, I bet that guy has stories. Sounds like a good time!