Ceramic Technology

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Ceramic Technology

Post by JD Spydo »

In the past few years we've been really spoiled with all the newer/better blade steels that have been introduced into the cutlery sector. With the flood of new types of steel being produced you can't help but wonder what advances are being made in the ceramics sector. With the vast improvement in metallurgy and other areas you can't help but wonder what advancements will be made with "ceramics".

With the growing popularity of ceramic knives I wonder at times if ceramic will at some point replace steel as an ideal blade material. I also wonder what other materials are eventually going to be replaced with some type of ceramic material? We here in the Spyderco community have also been blessed with Spyderco's great line up of sharpening tools made with ceramics. That is just one of many uses that we are finding ceramic to be good for.

In areas of manufacturing and many high tech applications the increased demand for different types of ceramic materials will prove to be interesting. With applications of ceramics being used by NASA and others in the scientific community are growing as well. I'm hoping that several of you might have information to share regarding the subject of ceramic technology? I predict that within the next 10 to 15 years that they will develop a ceramic as hard as diamond at some point. Let's talk about ceramic technology and where we are at this point in time.
TomAiello

Re: Ceramic Technology

Post by TomAiello »

The elastic ceramic knives we talked about in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=89314) are supposed to start shipping next week. I'll be very interested to get mine in hand and try it out.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Ceramic Technology

Post by Doc Dan »

I am very interested in that elastic ceramic. I want to see some real world testing by Spyderco. This may be the start of a new era.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050