If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BLUETYPEII

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

🤔
Are you asking if it’s ethical to travel back in time? Presumably to gain wealth or power? Or perhaps to steer your past self on a wiser path? If one of these are the question then “NO” would be the answer, as much as I would like to change a few things.

The problem with changing the past is cause and effect. Your life would be different even if you changed a small detail, much less a big one. Who knows how that could change things for the good or the bad. Even if you didn’t intend to change the future you inevitably would if you interacted with anyone.

The other side of that question is one of a scientific nature and there are many many questions a time machine could answer. You would have to be extremely careful though. You wouldn’t want someone spotting you https://youtu.be/rO_M0hLlJ-Q

I don’t know if y’all are aware but traveling forward in time is theoretically possible, we just can’t move fast enough to test the theory... yet.

As far as going back in time? I think some scientists theorize going backwards in time may be possible if worm holes exist.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hi, and thanks for contributing.

My original question was more to do with the fact that many people say, “I wish I could go in a time machine back to the 1950s to live, when life was simple. I’d stay there forever.” Which, by the way, would be an impossibility, even if they could go back, because they would eventually move up through time into the ‘60s, ‘70s, etc., depending on how much lifespan they had left when they time traveled.

Or, “Man, I miss living in the ‘80s. If I could, I would go back to the ‘80s forever, when times were fun and the music was better.”

Or, “I wish I could go back to the pioneer days of the Old West, where men were men and blah blah blah.”

Are they only reminiscing, or if there really was a way, WOULD they actually do it? Forgetting for a moment the quantum physics and the ramifications of it. I would say no. Even if they could go back to, say, the ‘80s (or any other time period from their earlier lives), as the person at the age they’re at now, they would view it and experience it in a completely different way. I dare say it would not be as “fun” as they remembered it from their youth, viewing it from their current perspective. In a similar vein, who would want to go back and relive high school NOW?

Or going further back in history, to the Wild West, or the Renaissance period, or Victorian England, or etc., etc. Eras that have been heavily romanticized in movies, TV, and popular culture, but which fail to show the hardships, drudgery, and lack of sanitation in normal life for the vast majority of the people living in those times. Even the elites of those times lived in conditions that the vast majority today would find unacceptable if they were transported back in time.

Jim
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:33 am
Now I would like to go into the future, say 100 or 200 years and see.
Not me. I take comfort in knowing that I won't be around that long.

I would like to go back in time and buy a bunch of old cars, trucks, and knives to sock away. Finding a place to store the cars and trucks could be problematic, but the knives would be a little easier to manage. There's one other problem: one would have to blend in. If I went back to my year of birth (1978) looking as I do now, I'd get a lot of funny looks!
Last edited by Dan In MI on Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:27 am
Hi, and thanks for contributing.

My original question was more to do with the fact that many people say, “I wish I could go in a time machine back to the 1950s to live, when life was simple. I’d stay there forever.” Which, by the way, would be an impossibility, even if they could go back, because they would eventually move up through time into the ‘60s, ‘70s, etc., depending on how much lifespan they had left when they time traveled.

Or, “Man, I miss living in the ‘80s. If I could, I would go back to the ‘80s forever, when times were fun and the music was better.”

Or, “I wish I could go back to the pioneer days of the Old West, where men were men and blah blah blah.”

Are they only reminiscing, or if there really was a way, WOULD they actually do it? Forgetting for a moment the quantum physics and the ramifications of it. I would say no. Even if they could go back to, say, the ‘80s (or any other time period from their earlier lives), as the person at the age they’re at now, they would view it and experience it in a completely different way. I dare say it would not be as “fun” as they remembered it from their youth, viewing it from their current perspective. In a similar vein, who would want to go back and relive high school NOW?

Or going further back in history, to the Wild West, or the Renaissance period, or Victorian England, or etc., etc. Eras that have been heavily romanticized in movies, TV, and popular culture, but which fail to show the hardships, drudgery, and lack of sanitation in normal life for the vast majority of the people living in those times. Even the elites of those times lived in conditions that the vast majority today would find unacceptable if they were transported back in time.

Jim

Jim,

That's what I was getting at when I said no way. ;)

Those so called good old days weren't all that GOOD as some like to think.

Living conditions were poor even for the Wealthy as you said.

And MOST people were nothing more than laborers of one sort or another, either on a farm of some sort or worse.

The movies never depict the realism of what life was like for the ave person back in the so called good old days.

Huge difference in real life than what is shown in some Hollywood Studio.

I am always amused when people talk about the supposed good old days. LOL

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Jim,

And MOST people were nothing more than laborers of one sort or another, either on a farm of some sort or worse.

The movies never depict the realism of what life was like for the ave person back in the so called good old days.

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, in Hollywood movies, when a hero goes back in time, say to medieval times, the girl he meets looks like Gal Gadot, Emma Watson or Taylor Swift, or whoever, in period dress. Whereas in real life, say someone DID go back to rescue a ‘fair damsel in distress’ (fairy tale material, but let’s imagine it’s real for a moment); this ‘damsel’ would have B.O., decayed teeth (if many at all), and dragon breath to boot. And the same for any real “knight in shining armor” or “Prince Charming”, who would NOT have looked like Chris Hemsworth, LOL. And in all likelihood, no one in (for example) medieval Britain would even understand any of the modern-day spoken English, regardless of dialect.

People also used chamber pots.

At the risk of sounding superficial, I will add that standards of beauty alone have changed dramatically over just the past century. Just look at photos from the 1800s and early 20th century.

I once knew a guy who said (quite seriously) that he felt he ‘missed out’ on all the swashbuckling adventures of times past by being born into this time period. :rolleyes:

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:16 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, in Hollywood movies, when a hero goes back in time, say to medieval times, the girl he meets looks like Gal Gadot, Emma Watson or Taylor Swift, or whoever, in period dress. Whereas in real life, say someone DID go back to rescue a ‘fair damsel in distress’ (fairy tale material, but let’s imagine it’s real for a moment); this ‘damsel’ would have B.O., decayed teeth (if many at all), and dragon breath to boot. And the same for any real “knight in shining armor” or “Prince Charming”, who would NOT have looked like Chris Hemsworth, LOL. And in all likelihood, no one in (for example) medieval Britain would even understand any of the modern-day spoken English, regardless of dialect.

At the risk of being a superficial cad, I will add that standards of beauty have changed dramatically over just the past century. Just look at photos from the 1800s and early 20th century.

I once knew a guy who said (quite seriously) that he felt he ‘missed out’ on all the swashbuckling adventures of times past by being born into this time period. :rolleyes:

Jim

Jim,

Yeah. ROFL :D

Not even getting into the other issues like lack of good medical care, disease, lack of any sort of central systems like water and sewage. Not even getting into the lack of power, yeah no toys back then. Yeah, no power so everything was lit by lanterns or candles. And all hand tools, no tractors to plow the fields and or pick the crops or to even maintain the crops, spread fertilizer etc.

Then there are the food issues, lack of any sort of check and balances to make sure it's good and won't make people sick.

Then there is the work day, normally from sun up to sun down or longer than that for the ave person.

Yeah the lack of hygiene, OMG yeah, everyone would small like the animals at the zoo.

Clothing was expensive back then so people wore it until it rotted of their bodies.

But those were the good old days. :rolleyes:

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

.... short lifespan, high levels of maternal, infant & child mortality, little or no education, mass servitude ....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I could somehow go back and make some different choices based on the knowledge and experience I've gained throughout my life, then absolutely yes. I think this is a question that practically everyone daydreams about at some point in their life, and as a parent it's one of the thoughts in the back of your mind when you're riding your kid's arse to get them to try harder. As the saying goes "youth is wasted on the young".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:10 am
.... short lifespan, high levels of maternal, infant & child mortality, little or no education, mass servitude ....

Yes, the list is endless really. :D

Then there is the utter and complete brutality that was wide spread.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

As a woman, I definitely wouldn't want to go back in time. If I could go back in time I would want to "choose my character" and choose a historical figure and live their life for awhile, experiencing their reality. Of course WITHOUT the ability to alter their decisions or actions.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
James Y

Post by James Y »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:44 am
As a woman, I definitely wouldn't want to go back in time. If I could go back in time I would want to "choose my character" and choose a historical figure and live their life for awhile, experiencing their reality. Of course WITHOUT the ability to alter their decisions or actions.

That would be interesting, Spydergirl. Kinda like being able to move your consciousness to another time and place, make a psychic type of connection with a certain individual, and see/experience things through that other person’s senses (or through your own non-physical consciousness unconnected to them). Which, IMO, would be much more plausible, and probably safer, than using an actual time machine to physically transport to the past. Since the non-physical is not bound by time and space, which are physical constructs. It’s probably even been done, to a very limited degree, if Remote Viewing and other similar phenomena are to be believed.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:44 am

That is absolutely understandable. :)

And I don't blame you one single bit on that one that's for sure, if I was female I definitely wouldn't even think about it.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

I would go back to have one more talk with Dad.

My incredible father who was my only family, passed unexpectedly recently and I would want to say some personal things to him. I think about what I would say to him everyday if I could have.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

M Sea wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:11 pm

My incredible father who was my only family, passed unexpectedly recently and I would want to say some personal things to him. I think about what I would say to him everyday if I could have.
Sorry for your loss.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:15 pm
M Sea wrote:

Sorry for your loss.
Thank you.

He was awesome. Dad was old-school and I miss him so much every day but I focus on how lucky and blessed I was to have had him in my life as long as I did. Very thankful.
James Y

Post by James Y »

M Sea wrote:

My condolences, M Sea.

Jim
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

James Y wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:36 pm
M Sea wrote:

My condolences, M Sea.

Jim
Thank you very much.
James Y

Post by James Y »

“The Strange Mystery of the Vatican’s Secret Time Machine.”

Interestingly, this article just came out today. I’m open-minded about a lot of things, but I’m not gullible. IMO, this Father Pellegrino Ernetti’s story about the “Chronovisor” was a bunch of BS. He even admitted to having faked a couple pieces of “proof” (including a supposed photo of Jesus Christ). Yet he still insisted that the machine had been real. Even without his admission of fraud, I still wouldn’t have believed it.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2021/05/ ... e-machine/

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

This was probably the most famous example of the hyper-romanticized, Hollywood fantasy vision of traveling back in time:

https://youtu.be/9uicvPZSKIM

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 am
This was probably the most famous example of the hyper-romanticized, Hollywood fantasy vision of traveling back in time:

https://youtu.be/9uicvPZSKIM

Jim

Jim,

Yeah. LOL :D

Over the years I have heard people say they wanted to go back in time to whatever time period they have their own delusions about how wonderful it was. (Mostly Hollywood's fault and or the persons for actually believing it was really that great)

I normally ask them all the same questions?

What would you do for work? (Assuming there wasn't a war or other assorted brutality that happened or was going on that they never thought about or didn't know about)

Where would you live and what would you live in and how would you get there?

What would you do about clothes and other assorted needs and how would you get them with no money?

Jim