If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
akapennypincher

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by akapennypincher »

Marine Corps was what I choose over Air Force. Navy want me in 72ish, for DPPO PROGRAM.

Marine Corps knee kill that seat deal, Knee injury, and loss of hearing.

Only good News was I did live in and, have dream career.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The important thing is to have a good relationship with your time machine's A.I.

https://youtu.be/-8I9z6Y4mBY
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:11 pm
What Hygiene Was Like in Colonial America

https://youtu.be/3vgC7CFbSW0

Jim

Yeah, it's really. :nauseated :vomit
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

Nah. Past is past. I would be checking out the year 5150 or something.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd like to skip ahead 250, 500, and 1000 years to see if the Earth is still surviving and what they had accomplished.

I'd also like to go back to 1900 to see what my grandparents had to endure and meet all of them. They had a rough life. My grandmother on my father's side is the only grandparent I've known and she lived to be 102. I'd like to meet them, in 1905, 1920, 1930, 1950 and see what they were like. Except for my father's mother, they were all gone by the time I arrived.

I have family from Austria(probably going back to the 1800's) that were US Citizens. And I have family from Ireland that arrived to the US in the 1900's.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:01 pm
I'd like to skip ahead 250, 500, and 1000 years to see if the Earth is still surviving and what they had accomplished.

I'd also like to go back to 1900 to see what my grandparents had to endure and meet all of them. They had a rough life. My grandmother on my father's side is the only grandparent I've known and she lived to be 102. I'd like to meet them, in 1905, 1920, 1930, 1950 and see what they were like. Except for my father's mother, they were all gone by the time I arrived.

I have family from Austria(probably going back to the 1800's) that were US Citizens. And I have family from Ireland that arrived to the US in the 1900's.

I don't think I'd want to go back in time and meet my grandparents in the early 1900s. Well, maybe I wouldn't mind seeing my maternal grandparents. The only grandparent I ever knew was my maternal grandfather. By the time I was born, "grandma" was really my step-grandmother.

I had a great-aunt on my mom's side who lived with her husband for several years in Shanghai, China, in the Japanese settlement, in the early 1900s.

My paternal grandfather died 12 years before I was born, and my dad and every uncle all said that he was very mean. He was physically large, and fled Japan in the late 1880s by stowing away on a ship, and jumped ship in what was then very early Vancouver. So he'd had a very hard life, and that shaped his character and his violent temper. I don't think I'd want to go back and meet him, but I wish I knew more about how he survived and made his way to CA in the Wild West. Must've been very shrewd and had a **** of a strong will.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:55 pm
Naperville wrote:

I don't think I'd want to go back in time and meet my grandparents in the early 1900s. Well, maybe I wouldn't mind seeing my maternal grandparents. The only grandparent I ever knew was my maternal grandfather. By the time I was born, "grandma" was really my step-grandmother.

I had a great-aunt on my mom's side who lived with her husband for several years in Shanghai, China, in the Japanese settlement, in the early 1900s.

My paternal grandfather died 12 years before I was born, and my dad and every uncle all said that he was very mean. He was physically large, and fled Japan in the late 1880s by stowing away on a ship, and jumped ship in what was then very early Vancouver. So he'd had a very hard life, and that shaped his character and his violent temper. I don't think I'd want to go back and meet him, but I wish I knew more about how he survived and made his way to CA in the Wild West. Must've been very shrewd and had a **** of a strong will.

Jim
[+1]

These were some rugged individuals.

People "prep" now, and most of them have no clue. If we ever have WW III, and there is an EMP that takes out the electrical systems nationwide 95% will not survive 3 years because the old ways of surviving have long been forgotten.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:54 pm
James Y wrote:
Naperville wrote:

Jim
[+1]

People "prep" now, and most of them have no clue. If we ever have WW III, and there is an EMP that takes out the electrical systems nationwide 95% will not survive 3 years because the old ways of surviving have long been forgotten.

NOBODY would survival WW 3...

With 20 to 30 years of Nuclear Winter most life on the planet would be dead.

And with the ground and water contaminated on top of it..
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:38 pm
Naperville wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim
[+1]

There will be survivors, in the far North and South of the Equator. The weather patterns for a nuclear war would blot out the Sun in the Northern Hemisphere for 5 years, but most of the Southern Hemisphere would be fine. The dust would settle out fairly rapidly. What will kill the most people is lack of infrastructure. Without the delivery of food, no electricity, no gas heat, 90% to 95% would be gone within 3 years in the Northern Hemisphere.

Discussions with actual nuclear aware and nuclear working ex-military and ex-scientists occur on SurvivalistBoards.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:15 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Naperville wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim
[+1]

There will be survivors, in the far North and South of the Equator. The weather patterns for a nuclear war would blot out the Sun in the Northern Hemisphere for 5 years, but most of the Southern Hemisphere would be fine. The dust would settle out fairly rapidly. What will kill the most people is lack of infrastructure. Without the delivery of food, no electricity, no gas heat, 90% to 95% would be gone within 3 years in the Northern Hemisphere.

Discussions with actual nuclear aware and nuclear working ex-military and ex-scientists occur on SurvivalistBoards.

I read that BS before. :eye-roll

It's a Survivalist wet dream and not realistic at all given the amount of radiation that would be involved. (Some need to stop watching RED DAWN 3 times a week)

And the timeline is ridiculously short so it fits into their wet dream. :rofl

I really hope you aren't buying that complete BS...
James Y

Post by James Y »

Anyway, rather than going backwards or forward in time, I'd rather be able to view it on some type of screen than actually go there.

I'm not even sure that the future is set in stone; some things are certain (death), but much of the future is an infinite number of possibilities. Otherwise, there's no point in living. Our future depends on the choices we all make, and that affects our world positively or negatively in either a micro or a macro way, depending on who we are and our positions in the world.

If world leaders want a WW III, it's still up to the people below them, and in turn the ones below them, and the ones below them, etc., etc., to agree to carry it out. It all depends on how brainwashed people are to implement the plans of the very few "at the top." Unfortunately, a high percentage of people in the world are either unwilling or unable to intelligently think for themselves from a holistic POV.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:42 am
Anyway, rather than going backwards or forward in time, I'd rather be able to view it on some type of screen than actually go there.

I'm not even sure that the future is set in stone; some things are certain (death), but much of the future is an infinite number of possibilities. Otherwise, there's no point in living. Our future depends on the choices we all make, and that affects our world positively or negatively in either a micro or a macro way, depending on who we are and our positions in the world.

If world leaders want a WW III, it's still up to the people below them, and in turn the ones below them, and the ones below them, etc., etc., to agree to carry it out. It all depends on how brainwashed people are to implement the plans of the very few "at the top." Unfortunately, a high percentage of people in the world are either unwilling or unable to intelligently think for themselves from a holistic POV.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, that would be an issue, about the ones thinking for themselves.

But then that's human nature somewhat too at an effort to belong or fit in. Which is why we see so many followers and or people doing what others do and or are influenced by them etc.

And easy way to do that is to tell people what they want to hear, it's the easiest. :eye-roll

And like lemmings they will all walk right off the cliff so to speak.

Like the movie.. Don't Look Up it is so dead bang on the money it's scary.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 am
Naperville wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Naperville wrote:

[+1]

It's a Survivalist wet dream and not realistic at all given the amount of radiation that would be involved. (Some need to stop watching RED DAWN 3 times a week)

It's all speculation at this point.

There have been dozens of years without Summers, 1816 was one such event. People did die from the eruption of a volcano, so I am agreeing with this fact. There is even a book on it:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+year+wit ... doa-p_1_21

And as I said it may take 5yrs for the dust to settle out of the Northern hemisphere's atmosphere. Radiation rolls off fairly rapidly, but there will be many deaths from the concussive effects of the nukes. If you have enough food and water to stay inside for one to two months you may survive as long as you are 50 miles from the epicenter of a direct strike.

It's all speculation. Nobody really knows as it has never happened before.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:09 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 am
Naperville wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

It's all speculation at this point.

There have been dozens of years without Summers, 1816 was one such event. People did die from the eruption of a volcano, so I am agreeing with this fact. There is even a book on it:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+year+wit ... doa-p_1_21

And as I said it may take 5yrs for the dust to settle out of the Northern hemisphere's atmosphere. Radiation rolls off fairly rapidly, but there will be many deaths from the concussive effects of the nukes. If you have enough food and water to stay inside for one to two months you may survive as long as you are 50 miles from the epicenter of a direct strike.

It's all speculation. Nobody really knows as it has never happened before.

I get it, people are and have been conditioned to believe that BS so they will keep buying crap. :rofl

It's just not going to go the way you think it will, not at all. ;)

It would be a Million times worse than your worst nightmare taking everything into count about what would actually happen.

And no that's not Darryl from the Walking Dead riding around on his bike shooting zombies or whatever fantasy they can come up with to keep people buying survival stuff.

I suppose they think they could survival a super volcano eruption and or a Comet Strike too. :rofl
James Y

Post by James Y »

Many years back, on a martial arts forum, someone had a thread about "How would you survive in a post-apocalyptic world?", or something like that.

Some of the guys were really full of fantasy. One guy said he would join a community and be part of that community's defense force from invading groups, and he would spend every day training bare-knuckle, ro-rules full-contact fighting, to ensure his community's safety from outsiders.

First off, if it's a post-apocalyptic world, there is no modern medicine or hospital care. So if you get injured (and training full-contact, you WILL get injured), you will be useless to the community you're in, and even become a liability.

Secondly, day-to-day survival will take up your time and energy. Energy which cannot be wasted.

Thirdly, defense of the community or village would mostly involve weapons, and little empty-handed combat, which would be good to be familiar with, but wouldn't take precedence.

On another forum, some guy said if the grid went down, he would use his Parkour skills to become a burglar to take what he needs, and easily jump over people's walls, fences, etc., and escape before they can catch him. Which is even dumber than what the other guy said. Others pointed out that he would simply end up shot to death by the people sheltering in their homes. Not only that, but one mistake, one twisted or broken ankle or other injury, and no more Parkour. Although I'm betting that the guy who posted that couldn't even do Parkour.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:26 am
Many years back, on a martial arts forum, someone had a thread about "How would you survive in a post-apocalyptic world?", or something like that.

Some of the guys were really full of fantasy. One guy said he would join a community and be part of that community's defense force from invading groups, and he would spend every day training bare-knuckle, ro-rules full-contact fighting, to ensure his community's safety from outsiders.

First off, if it's a post-apocalyptic world, there is no modern medicine or hospital care. So if you get injured (and training full-contact, you WILL get injured), you will be useless to the community you're in, and even become a liability.

Secondly, day-to-day survival will take up your time and energy. Energy which cannot be wasted.

Thirdly, defense of the community or village would mostly involve weapons, and little empty-handed combat, which would be good to be familiar with, but wouldn't take precedence.

On another forum, some guy said if the grid went down, he would use his Parkour skills to become a burglar to take what he needs, and easily jump over people's walls, fences, etc., and escape before they can catch him. Which is even dumber than what the other guy said. Others pointed out that he would simply end up shot to death by the people sheltering in their homes. Not only that, but one mistake, one twisted or broken ankle or other injury, and no more Parkour. Although I'm betting that the guy who posted that couldn't even do Parkour.

Jim

Jim,

Nobody ever all said people are smart. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:27 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True...

Sometimes I wonder how some people can even function.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:00 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True...

Jim

Jim,

Even worse they let them procreate. :eye-roll

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 am
James Y wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:00 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True...

Jim

Jim,

Even worse they let them procreate. :eye-roll

Jim

That's simple instinct. Doesn't require any intelligence...

As for seeing the future, I actually don't feel there is a set future. I see it as infinite possibilities, constantly being created by the choices that every being makes. Some things may be foreseen that do happen, but for the most part, I don't see the future as set in stone.

For example, even seemingly minor decisions we make have the potential to radically alter the course of our lives, and the lives of others, positively or negatively. For one example, the course of my life changed for the better, after meeting a certain person after making a decision to be somewhere, or attend a certain event, on a whim. This has occurred several times in my life, and I'm sure in everyone else's, too.

I know this is going off the subject, but felt it needed to be mentioned.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Victorian Hygiene: The Dark Side of Cleanliness

https://youtu.be/95nBiRpxulQ

Jim