If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by Doc Dan »

The music was better from the Big Band era of the 30's, 40's, and the Rock era from the 50's to the 70's. I can enjoy that, today. I would not go back to the 60's, 70's, or 80's, though, even given the chance.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PStone

Post by PStone »

I would. I’d go back and see my brother and tell him how wrong I was. I miss him.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I like watching "Young Rock" on NBC
We are the same age. Him going back in time brought back some good memories.
The early 80's...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

nope. i have regrets, but regrets are how you grow.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

There were things in my past I either did or didn’t do that I had regrets over. The key word is ‘had.’ To actually go back in time and change those things is impossible, so at some point I stopped regretting. Life is too short to live with regrets. The best I can do is learn from my mistakes and keep moving forward, knowing I’ll still make mistakes along the way, but to endeavor not to repeat the same ones over again.

As hard as it might be to imagine, someday, someone in the future will be nostalgic for these very days we’re living in right now.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The DeLorean time travel scenes from my favorite time travel movie, Back to the Future. IMO, it would have been even better without the sequels.

From 1985 to 1955:

https://youtu.be/KPeHFDxKUP4

From 1955 back to 1985:

https://youtu.be/AM5EYO5wWMA

Jim
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 pm

I like to think that I would prefer living on the frontier but I learned from Oregon Trail that I probably would have died of dysentery.

Haha, reminds me of the old Oregon Trail computer games I played back in the day! That one taught me a lot about American history and culture in the Western United States.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I shudder to think what your impression of the Western USA is, if that's your primary source. :)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:36 pm
I shudder to think what your impression of the Western USA is, if that's your primary source. :)

Well, there's the old Spaghetti Westerns and some Looney Tunes Yosemite Sam to add to the mix.

I kid! Haha. I actually read a lot about the history of Western USA thru books and encyclopedias while growing up. I find that aspect of American history the most fascinating, as well as the tall tales and stories surrounding it.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It would be cool.

Are you going back in time or are you being born in a different era? Because theres a big difference.

I think a lot of people want to go back but with the benefit of modern education and health. I certainly wouldnt want to be born in the 1400s for instance.

And if you are going back you would have to be really careful. You might get burned at the stake for knowing about a historical event beforehand. Or drastically change the world by just accidentally saying some common knowledge like e=mc^2.

Thats actually one of the argumemts against future time travel. That someone from the future would know so much that if they went back far enough then most advancements would be attributed to just one person.

Went a little off topic. I get what youre saying. I do wish the world was a bit simpler, with frankly just less BS that we have to pit up with daily.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:47 pm
It would be cool.

Are you going back in time or are you being born in a different era? Because theres a big difference.

I think a lot of people want to go back but with the benefit of modern education and health. I certainly wouldnt want to be born in the 1400s for instance.

And if you are going back you would have to be really careful. You might get burned at the stake for knowing about a historical event beforehand. Or drastically change the world by just accidentally saying some common knowledge like e=mc^2.

Thats actually one of the argumemts against future time travel. That someone from the future would know so much that if they went back far enough then most advancements would be attributed to just one person.

Went a little off topic. I get what youre saying. I do wish the world was a bit simpler, with frankly just less BS that we have to pit up with daily.

That’s actually an interesting point. Then it goes off into quantum physics stuff, such as the creation of alternate timelines/alternate realities; going into the past, altering past situations, and creating a new timeline that the time traveler returns to in the present. Like in Back to the Future. Or in the excellent 2016 Japanese anime movie, Your Name (Kimi no Na wa). It’s also the plot of all the Terminator movies (in this case, traveling from the future to the present day to change the future).

The question is: If you can leave the past and return to the present, if you caused anything to be altered (and simply traveling to the past in and of itself would change something), would you actually be returning to a different timeline, while the one you initially left continues on without you, as if you had just disappeared or ceased to exist? How many possible timelines/realities exist alongside each other? Countless timelines coexisting side by side? Our decisions and actions right now are determining what our present and future realities will be.

Anyway, that all starts becoming too heavy to ponder. But I do think of stuff like that from time to time. :)

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 am
The question is: If you can leave the past and return to the present, if you caused anything to be altered (and just traveling to the past by itself would change something), would you actually be returning to a different timeline, while the one you initially left continues on without you, as if you had just disappeared or ceased to exist? How many possible timelines/realities exist alongside each other? Countless timelines coexisting side by side? Our decisions and actions right now are determining what our present and future realities will be.
Classical time travel would be going to the past and returning to your original timeline universe, while all the harm you did stomping on butterflies would play out in an alternate parallel universe.

This might be why we never see evidence of time travelers, they just spawn parallel universes.

Of course this complicates time travel. Our Solar System is traveling at an average speed of 514,000 mph within its trajectory around the galactic center, so you already have to adjust for huge distances in space if you want to travel back to old times on earth. Now if you want to get back to your original timeline universe, you'll need to adjust for your specific parallel universe on the way back. Not a trivial exercise.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I wouldn't go back in time, nope.

Now I would like to go into the future, say 100 or 200 years and see.
James Y

Post by James Y »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:29 am
Classical time travel would be going to the past and returning to your original timeline universe, while all the harm you did stomping on butterflies would play out in an alternate parallel universe.

This might be why we never see evidence of time travelers, they just spawn parallel universes.

Of course this complicates time travel. Our Solar System is traveling at an average speed of 514,000 mph within its trajectory around the galactic center, so you already have to adjust for huge distances in space if you want to travel back to old times on earth. Now if you want to get back to your original timeline universe, you'll need to adjust for your specific parallel universe on the way back. Not a trivial exercise.

Thanks.

This also brings up the fact that if you could travel back in time, then that means that all time and all possible variations exist simultaneously. The past and future exist right now, just on a different frequency, or in different dimensions.

Perhaps the only (relatively) safe method of traveling back in time would not be to physically travel back, so much as viewing it. Of course, we view into the past every day, in photos, films, videos, etc. But I’m talking about some viewing device, similar to a crystal ball. Somehow, one would have to be able to coordinate it to specific target times, places, events, etc. Otherwise, you could end up just looking at an empty field, or clouds, or an anthill or something, with no indication or proof of when the actual time is that you’re looking at. Not really sure how that could work out.

Or maybe develop a clearer, more powerful method of ‘remote viewing,’ which seems to be the likeliest possibility.

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

There is a really interesting short story (later made into a movie) about the possibilities of changing your own personal future via time travel. The original short story was "--all you zombies--" by Robert Heinlein (1959). The film adaptation was Predestination (2014).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

Definitely worth reading if you want to twist your mind around some of the possibilities of time travel changing reality.
James Y

Post by James Y »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 am
There is a really interesting short story (later made into a movie) about the possibilities of changing your own personal future via time travel. The original short story was "--all you zombies--" by Robert Heinlein (1959). The film adaptation was Predestination (2014).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)

Definitely worth reading if you want to twist your mind around some of the possibilities of time travel changing reality.

Thanks, Tom. Sounds really good. I’ll check that out sometime…though it’ll be awhile. I’m slowly working my way through a bunch of as-yet unread books I already have. :)

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Yesterday? Been there, done that. There's plenty of new adventures and untasted delicacies yet to savor. Onward!

These guys say it well:

Last edited by RustyIron on Mon May 03, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

In a swift heartbeat!! I'd be carrying a Spyderco with me 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:48 pm
In a swift heartbeat!! I'd be carrying a Spyderco with me 😊

I wonder what someone back in the 1920s to the ‘50s would think if you whipped out a Spyderco Civilian or Captain! :D

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You're right!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032