If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuck_roxas45

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

if I wanted to go back in time, it would be for the music.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jim I must say you come up with some great threads :) I'm not too very much older than you are. I was born in 1953 and I can vividly remember The Beatles coming to the USA via the Ed Sullivan Show in 1963. I was a 15 year old kid when the USA supposedly sent a man to the moon :rolleyes: still not sure of that one :rolleyes: I remember a lot of events that happened in that era that had lasting memories.

The 1970s were my favorite era by far. From 1970 to the early 80s I went to see so many great Rock Concerts we had here in Kansas City, MO USA. We had great groups like Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, The Rolling Stones, Frank Zappa, David Bowie ( the original Ziggy Stardust band), Led Zeppelin just to name a few and about 40 other great bands that did Kansas City on their tours that I was privileged to see while growing up.

I was so privileged to have gotten to experience some of the best parts of American life during the time slot from the late 60s all the way to the mid 80s. That was before we entered into this Dystopian **** we are currently caught up in. I keep thinking I'm caught up in a bad episode of the Twilight Zone and I'm desperately hoping I'll wake up from this bad dream I'm in at this time. But I sure got to enjoy some great times in life before America went down into the "abyss". I'm sure hoping for better days ahead.

If I could go back to the 70s I would be content. Even though we didn't have cell phones or the internet back then there were other great features of that era which made it a time that I long for.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 pm
That wild west thing was repugnant but that was how things were. No worse than European middle ages though. I was recently watching an old western where one guy was talking about putting his shirt on an ants nest to get rid of the lice. We are lucky. I've never seen a real live lice in person. :)

But I'd go if I had control of when I could return and what I could carry. I still want to see a live Mammoth, Sabertooth, giant sloth and a few more things.

I would love to see some live prehistoric animals, too. Prehistoric animals (dinosaurs and mammals) and old steam trains used to be among my biggest passions before I got into martial arts. But, personally, I don’t think I’d want to see them up close, or in their environment. I’m betting that earth’s environment was much different in those times, and there were probably tons of horrid, biting insects of all sizes.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:16 am
Jim I must say you come up with some great threads :) I'm not too very much older than you are. I was born in 1953 and I can vividly remember The Beatles coming to the USA via the Ed Sullivan Show in 1963. I was a 15 year old kid when the USA supposedly sent a man to the moon :rolleyes: still not sure of that one :rolleyes: I remember a lot of events that happened in that era that had lasting memories.

The 1970s were my favorite era by far. From 1970 to the early 80s I went to see so many great Rock Concerts we had here in Kansas City, MO USA. We had great groups like Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, The Rolling Stones, Frank Zappa, David Bowie ( the original Ziggy Stardust band), Led Zeppelin just to name a few and about 40 other great bands that did Kansas City on their tours that I was privileged to see while growing up.

I was so privileged to have gotten to experience some of the best parts of American life during the time slot from the late 60s all the way to the mid 80s. That was before we entered into this Dystopian **** we are currently caught up in. I keep thinking I'm caught up in a bad episode of the Twilight Zone and I'm desperately hoping I'll wake up from this bad dream I'm in at this time. But I sure got to enjoy some great times in life before America went down into the "abyss". I'm sure hoping for better days ahead.

If I could go back to the 70s I would be content. Even though we didn't have cell phones or the internet back then there were other great features of that era which made it a time that I long for.

Joe,

You won’t get any argument from me about the music of the 1970s. IMO, the ‘70s was the greatest and most versatile decade of popular music. And I had a lot of good times growing up in the ‘70s (and, as a little kid, in the ‘60s).

However, I do remember some tough times in the ‘70s as well. I started having some issues with what I now know are OCD (from about age 7), and depression (from my mid-teens), but I hadn’t even known what they were, much less ever discussed them with anybody. How could I have? Back then, those were things nobody really talked about. I only came to realize what they were sometime in the ‘90s. I’ve overcome one (depression), and the other (OCD) is mild.

For me personally, in spite of it being a great decade for me, I myself wouldn’t go back. I want my good memories of that time period to remain just that; memories. If I went back, I’d probably do something to screw it all up. :p

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You won’t get any argument from me about the music of the 1970s. IMO, the ‘70s was the greatest and most versatile decade of popular music. And I had a lot of good times growing up in the ‘70s (and, as a little kid, in the ‘60s).

However, I do remember some tough times in the ‘70s as well. I started having some issues with what I now know are OCD (from about age 7), and depression (from my mid-teens), but I hadn’t even known what they were, much less ever discussed them with anybody. How could I have? Back then, those were things nobody really talked about. I only came to realize what they were sometime in the ‘90s. I’ve overcome one (depression), and the other (OCD) is mild.

For me personally, in spite of it being a great decade for me, I myself wouldn’t go back. I want my good memories of that time period to remain just that; memories. If I went back, I’d probably do something to screw it all up.
There were great times and lousy ones as well. Real bullies that beat kids savagely with no thought from teachers, bus drivers etc. Not just internet bullies. No real idea of what kids were ingesting for drugs. I remember a mint flake sprayed with embalming fluid sold to kids to smoke. Some real horrid stuff going on. Police were like a bad gang ripping off kids stealing whatever was there on traffic stops which were constant and aggressive

On the other hand I went across the country and back stopping to work where I wanted when I wanted. There were no license plate readers, facial recognition nor real worry . It was very possible to just disappear and start over. The maximum freedom and still space to move ( around a hundred million less people in the country). You could just talk to people without having to worry about things called microaggressions , less hostility and much better race relations where I was. There was no real Marxist revolution going on unlike now seeking to stir up people and tear the people into little tribes easily manipulated. That part is missed. Some good music but a lot of lousy stuff too. :) We have much more of that ages music available now than the areas I was in back then. I lived in an area in the late seventies where it was too remote for TV and very few radio stations. I don't think I ever saw an air conditioner on a regular car or house then. Yeah, some good, some bad.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am

For me personally, in spite of it being a great decade for me, I myself wouldn’t go back. I want my good memories of that time period to remain just that; memories. If I went back, I’d probably do something to screw it all up.
There were great times and lousy ones as well. Real bullies that beat kids savagely with no thought from teachers, bus drivers etc. Not just internet bullies. No real idea of what kids were ingesting for drugs. I remember a mint flake sprayed with embalming fluid sold to kids to smoke. Some real horrid stuff going on. Police were like a bad gang ripping off kids stealing whatever was there on traffic stops which were constant and aggressive

On the other hand I went across the country and back stopping to work where I wanted when I wanted. There were no license plate readers, facial recognition nor real worry . It was very possible to just disappear and start over. The maximum freedom and still space to move ( around a hundred million less people in the country). You could just talk to people without having to worry about things called microaggressions , less hostility and much better race relations where I was. There was no real Marxist revolution going on unlike now seeking to stir up people and tear the people into little tribes easily manipulated. That part is missed. Some good music but a lot of lousy stuff too. :) We have much more of that ages music available now than the areas I was in back then. I lived in an area in the late seventies where it was too remote for TV and very few radio stations. I don't think I ever saw an air conditioner on a regular car or house then. Yeah, some good, some bad.

Joe,

I had a few bullies, but surprisingly, not as many as some other guys did. The worst was one in grade school, an older kid who bullied me from grades 1 through 4. I never fought him, but learned to be super elusive and impossible for him to catch. That was my main reason for taking up martial arts. I never did get to fight him, though, since he moved away when 5th grade started and I was ready. Some other kid ended up paying the price. :)

In junior high, a kid named Jason Scheff, who was a year older, used to call me names. Then one day he came up and apologized to me for some reason. I didn't trust his apology at the time and thought he was setting me up, but he never called me names ever again. He later became the lead singer of the rock band Chicago in the '80s.

The '70s was a different world from today. It's easy for people nowadays to forget how many THINGS we have at our fingertips today. The vast majority of people living today who weren't alive back then would not be able to handle life in the '70s, unless they're used to living off the grid.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/EnYzMu8OiOQ

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Life in Medievel Castles.

https://youtu.be/z56d4f1uT3k

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

London's The Great Stink of 1858, and Disgusting Hygiene in the Victorian Era

The narrator starts out pronouncing 'Thames' (the river) as 'Thaymes', then later uses the correct pronunciation of 'Tems.'

Some people wish they could go back and experience Victorian England, like out of some dreamy period romance. However...

🤮

https://youtu.be/BnxOp1aH_MQ

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:01 pm

The narrator starts out pronouncing 'Thames' (the river) as 'Thaymes', then later uses the correct pronunciation of 'Tems.'

Some people wish they could go back and experience Victorian England, like out of some dreamy period romance. However...

🤮

Jim

Jim,

There are a lot of morons out there.

I see it all the time on my FB feed, people wanting to go back to the 80's, 70's, or 60's etc.

Talking about how great it was back then etc.

None of them have a clue about history however or like so many other topics they have selective memories etc.

Or believe what they want to believe... We have heard that one a lot lately in the last few years from certain types.

They have a lot in common with the ones wanting to back etc. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:35 pm
James Y wrote:

🤮

Jim

Jim,

I see it all the time on my FB feed, people wanting to go back to the 80's, 70's, or 60's etc.

None of them have a clue about history however or like so many other topics they have selective memories etc.

Or believe what they want to believe... We have heard that one a lot lately in the last few years from certain types.

Jim

Jim,

Surprisingly, I enjoyed growing up in my neighborhood in the '60s, '70s, into the early '80s. But I wouldn't go back, even if I could. For one thing, I have changed considerably; and if I stepped into a time machine and went back, my experience in the past as the person I am now would be completely different. Because even if you COULD go back, you wouldn't re-experience the same life you had growing up.

Also, as bad as some things are today, there are also many great things now. I'm in the process of setting up an online business that simply could not have existed back then, or even just 15 to 20 years ago.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:35 pm
James Y wrote:

🤮

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Surprisingly, I enjoyed growing up in my neighborhood in the '60s, '70s, into the early '80s. But I wouldn't go back, even if I could. For one thing, I have changed considerably; and if I stepped into a time machine and went back, my experience in the past as the person I am now would be completely different. Because even if you COULD go back, you wouldn't re-experience the same life you had growing up.

Also, as bad as some things are today, there are also many great things now. I'm in the process of setting up an online business that simply could not have existed back then, or even just 15 to 20 years ago.

Jim

Jim,

Well yeah, that is the issue mostly.

Most of them were kids/children back then so they really have no clue how things were other than being a kid. Most of them are just spouting off BS to cater to their friends etc.

They sound dumber than **** though. :rofl

It's the ones who want to go back say 200+ years ago who are the real delusional ones.

Or back to that age you talked about etc.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's the whole thing. As nostalgic as it seems, everyone changes with time. I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with a lot of the things I used to back then. It's not perfect now, but it wasn't then either. This is a great thread!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

A time machine would be interesting if it never failed and you could spend time in another era temporarily or leave at will.

Just to live and hopefully enjoy life more I'd go back and hope that I did a better job the 2nd time around. There is a part of me that says I could not do worse, but of course every time you do anything you roll the dice.

I miss people that have passed on. I miss some of the things that I was involved in as a kid. I'd take the chance that I would not make the same mistakes.

I guess that I should be grateful and accept what I have achieved.

There are no guarantees in life or of life, only in not having been born at all or the certainty of death.

We are the survivors. No matter how bad or how good it was we are here.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:00 pm
That's the whole thing. As nostalgic as it seems, everyone changes with time. I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with a lot of the things I used to back then. It's not perfect now, but it wasn't then either. This is a great thread!

Exactly.

I seriously doubt most of them that think/post they want to go back to whatever time period actually thought about it.

Or that thinking was a process at all.

You should see some of the garbage people post. :eye-roll

All I can think of when I see it is: And they let you procreate? :eye-roll
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I would go back to when i was 15 or so. I would not really change much but would handle something’s better. Kinda like polishing rough patches instead of really changing anything.
I would probably also have a larger spydie collection since i passed “for now” on more then a few spyders that i wish i had not since they now seem like gone forever.
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearrowland wrote:

Hi, Barry. Yes, things can seem much better in hindsight. I liked my childhood enough that I consider myself lucky, and I would never trade places with a young person today. But life in general was different back then, and I would see no advantage for me to ever go back again. That would be like going back to experience elementary school through high school again. Why??

There are also many more types of opportunities nowadays to do things that simply did not exist back then. Some might argue that's not all good, but I would counter that it's what you create with the opportunities. There's potential for positive and negative in anything, depends on how it's utilized.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:57 am
A time machine would be interesting if it never failed and you could spend time in another era temporarily or leave at will.

Just to live and hopefully enjoy life more I'd go back and hope that I did a better job the 2nd time around. There is a part of me that says I could not do worse, but of course every time you do anything you roll the dice.

I miss people that have passed on. I miss some of the things that I was involved in as a kid. I'd take the chance that I would not make the same mistakes.

I guess that I should be grateful and accept what I have achieved.

There are no guarantees in life or of life, only in not having been born at all or the certainty of death.

We are the survivors. No matter how bad or how good it was we are here.

Thanks.

Personally, I've probably learned more through the mistakes I made than if I'd never made any at all.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

[googlevideo][/googlevideo]
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:05 am
bearrowland wrote:

Exactly.

I seriously doubt most of them that think/post they want to go back to whatever time period actually thought about it.

I'd like to mention another thing I hadn't thought of before. In the not-too-distant past (well into the 20th century), if you had depression or any other mental health issue, or were a single mother, or became physically disabled but were otherwise fine, many such people would simply be dropped off into sanatoriums (asylums), so they were out of sight/out of mind. And those were definitely NOT good places.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:10 pm
[googlevideo][/googlevideo]
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:05 am
bearrowland wrote:

Exactly.

I'd like to mention another thing I hadn't thought of before. In the not-too-distant past (well into the 20th century), if you had depression or any other mental health issue, or were a single mother, or became physically disabled but were otherwise fine, many such people would simply be dropped off into sanatoriums (asylums), so they were out of sight/out of mind. And those were definitely NOT good places.

Jim

Jim,

You are right, one doesn't have to go too far back in history to find out things were seriously screwed up.

People talk like it was all roses and chocolate, the ones who don't know any real history anyway. :eye-roll

I think most of them talk out of their... Well you know... :rofl

Jim