If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by James Y »

apollo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:16 am
I would go back to when i was 15 or so. I would not really change much but would handle something’s better. Kinda like polishing rough patches instead of really changing anything.
I would probably also have a larger spydie collection since i passed “for now” on more then a few spyders that i wish i had not since they now seem like gone forever.

Thanks for sharing.

But if you went back to age 15, it's almost certain you would handle the things that came up in the same or similar manner. I would suggest that the rough patches are a significant part of our growth into who we have become. So if we mostly like who we are, we owe some of that to the things that didn't go so smoothly.

🙂

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:16 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:10 pm
[googlevideo][/googlevideo]
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:05 am
bearrowland wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:00 pm
That's the whole thing. As nostalgic as it seems, everyone changes with time. I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with a lot of the things I used to back then. It's not perfect now, but it wasn't then either. This is a great thread!

Exactly.

I seriously doubt most of them that think/post they want to go back to whatever time period actually thought about it.

Or that thinking was a process at all.

You should see some of the garbage people post. :eye-roll

All I can think of when I see it is: And they let you procreate? :eye-roll

I'd like to mention another thing I hadn't thought of before. In the not-too-distant past (well into the 20th century), if you had depression or any other mental health issue, or were a single mother, or became physically disabled but were otherwise fine, many such people would simply be dropped off into sanatoriums (asylums), so they were out of sight/out of mind. And those were definitely NOT good places.

Jim

Jim,

You are right, one doesn't have to go too far back in history to find out things were seriously screwed up.

People talk like it was all roses and chocolate, the ones who don't know any real history anyway. :eye-roll

I think most of them talk out of their... Well you know... :rofl

Jim

Yeah. Like the ones who say, "I think I was born in the wrong time period. I would have fit in better during the medieval era. I was meant to be a knight in shining armor, going on adventures all over England. And I would have a girlfriend, because I'd rescue the fair damsel from the evil knight in black armor, by winning a jousting contest. I'd be the biggest bad@$$ in the castle and have my own catchphrase, like Ash in Army of Darkness."

😅

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:25 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:05 am

Exactly.

I seriously doubt most of them that think/post they want to go back to whatever time period actually thought about it.

Or that thinking was a process at all.

You should see some of the garbage people post. :eye-roll

All I can think of when I see it is: And they let you procreate? :eye-roll

I'd like to mention another thing I hadn't thought of before. In the not-too-distant past (well into the 20th century), if you had depression or any other mental health issue, or were a single mother, or became physically disabled but were otherwise fine, many such people would simply be dropped off into sanatoriums (asylums), so they were out of sight/out of mind. And those were definitely NOT good places.

Jim

Jim,

You are right, one doesn't have to go too far back in history to find out things were seriously screwed up.

People talk like it was all roses and chocolate, the ones who don't know any real history anyway. :eye-roll

Jim

Yeah. Like the ones who say, "I think I was born in the wrong time period. I would have fit in better during the medieval period. I was meant to be a knight in shining armor, going on adventures all over England. And I would have a girlfriend, because I'd rescue the fair damsel from the evil knight in black armor, by winning a jousting contest. I'd be the biggest bad@$$ in the castle and have my own catchphrase, like Ash in Army of Darkness."

😅

Jim

Jim,

Something to that effect, or even more delusional than that. :rofl

Mostly it's going back to the mid 1700's or so give or take, we know what that's all about. ;)

Like I said delusional.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:29 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Yeah. Like the ones who say, "I think I was born in the wrong time period. I would have fit in better during the medieval period. I was meant to be a knight in shining armor, going on adventures all over England. And I would have a girlfriend, because I'd rescue the fair damsel from the evil knight in black armor, by winning a jousting contest. I'd be the biggest bad@$$ in the castle and have my own catchphrase, like Ash in Army of Darkness."

😅

Jim

Jim,

Mostly it's going back to the mid 1700's or so give or take, we know what that's all about. ;)

Like I said delusional.

Jim

Fantasy (spoken in a posh, upper-crust female British accent):

"I shall be taking afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches. Would you care to join me, Mr. Darcy?"

The likely reality (if you took a time machine back to the early 1800s):

"Hhhooooiiiik! Ptui!" (Hocking and spitting).

😬 😄

Jim
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:17 pm
apollo wrote:
I would go back to when i was 15 or so. I would not really change much but would handle something’s better. Kinda like polishing rough patches instead of really changing anything.
I would probably also have a larger spydie collection since i passed “for now” on more then a few spyders that i wish i had not since they now seem like gone forever.

Thanks for sharing.

But if you went back to age 15, it's almost certain you would handle the things that came up in the same or similar manner. I would suggest that the rough patches are a significant part of our growth into who we have become. So if we mostly like who we are, we owe some of that to the things that didn't go so smoothly.

🙂

Jim
Thx Jim i like you’re comment! :grin-smiling-eyes
And you are correct i would not change anything that makes me really me. But there is actually one thing i would try to change ( If i could keep my knowledge of how my life is now offcourse) and that is try to in some way to postpone my crohn disease as much years as possible. Try another diet, stress therapy,…
Because even though i do not have it in the hardest way it is kinda messing up my life in some ways that i do not like. The pain for example gives me a shorter fuse that i did not have in the past.
Also i can get nervousness at times that i never had. And the fact that my employer and colleagues act differently and kinda scared of me or for me now that i want to return to my job makes me feel weak.
So that its a thing i wish i could try to postpone with an action in the past even if it was only for a few years.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:29 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

😅

Jim

Jim,

Like I said delusional.

Jim

"I shall be taking afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches. Would you care to join me, Mr. Darcy?"

😬 😄

Jim

Jim,

I think there is a lot of people that have gone way too far down the rabbit hole these days. :eye-roll

Mental heath issues maybe?

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:39 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

😅

Jim

Jim,

Like I said delusional.

Jim

😬 😄

Jim

Jim,

I think there is a lot of people that have gone way too far down the rabbit hole these days. :eye-roll

Jim

It could simply be people who feel unfulfilled or disenfranchised in life, seeing movies set in past times, and thinking that life in those time periods was like they're presented in the movies. Not really researching or even just considering what it really would have been like. It's only a semi-problem if they're really serious about longing to be there.

But I suppose the heart wants what the heart wants.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

apollo wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:41 pm
James Y wrote:
apollo wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

🙂

Jim
And you are correct i would not change anything that makes me really me. But there is actually one thing i would try to change ( If i could keep my knowledge of how my life is now offcourse) and that is try to in some way to postpone my crohn disease as much years as possible. Try another diet, stress therapy,…
Because even though i do not have it in the hardest way it is kinda messing up my life in some ways that i do not like. The pain for example gives me a shorter fuse that i did not have in the past.
Also i can get nervousness at times that i never had. And the fact that my employer and colleagues act differently and kinda scared of me or for me now that i want to return to my job makes me feel weak.
So that its a thing i wish i could try to postpone with an action in the past even if it was only for a few years.

I'm sorry to hear about your health challenges, apollo. I hope there comes a day when things are able to improve for you.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Like I said delusional.

Jim

😬 😄

Jim

Jim,

Jim

It could simply be people who feel unfulfilled or disenfranchised in life, seeing movies set in past times, and thinking that life in those time periods was like they're presented in the movies. Not really researching or even just considering what it really would have been like. It's only a semi-problem if they're really serious about longing to be there.

Jim

Jim,

Researching would require effort and they might find out their whole belief system is based on total BS. :eye-roll

We can't have that so:

Much easier to just copy and paste from their deluded normal sources of BS, conspiracy theories and other sorts of misinformation and random ignorant delusions.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:25 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

😬 😄

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Researching would require effort and they might find out their whole belief system is based on total BS. :eye-roll

We can't have that so:

Much easier to just copy and paste from their deluded normal sources of BS, conspiracy theories and other sorts of misinformation and random ignorant delusions.

Jim

TBH, I think I was born at just the right time. My brother, who is 10 years older, had it harder than I did growing up. I also got to grow up with the best (IMO) music era ('60s, '70s and '80s). Having grown up before the internet, if you wanted to research stuff, your options were more limited, and you had to WORK for it. I remember taking daylong trips to the downtown library just to see if they HAD material on things I was researching. Now, you can just push a button, but you need to discriminate what are or aren't
viable sources of information. On whatever it is.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:45 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:25 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

We can't have that so:

Jim

TBH, I think I was born at just the right time. My brother, who is 10 years older, had it harder than I did growing up. I also got to grow up with the best (IMO) music era ('60s, '70s and '80s). Having grown up before the internet, if you wanted to research stuff, your options were more limited, and you had to WORK for it. I remember taking daylong trips to the downtown library just to see if they HAD material on things I was researching. Now, you can just push a button, but you need to discriminate what are or aren't
viable sources of information. On whatever it is.

Jim

Jim,

I used to spend a lot of time in the library's too. :cheap-sunglasses

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Jim, I agree 💯.
James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:58 pm
bearrowland wrote:
That's the whole thing. As nostalgic as it seems, everyone changes with time. I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with a lot of the things I used to back then. It's not perfect now, but it wasn't then either. This is a great thread!

Hi, Barry. Yes, things can seem much better in hindsight. I liked my childhood enough that I consider myself lucky, and I would never trade places with a young person today. But life in general was different back then, and I would see no advantage for me to ever go back again. That would be like going back to experience elementary school through high school again. Why??

There are also many more types of opportunities nowadays to do things that simply did not exist back then. Some might argue that's not all good, but I would counter that it's what you create with the opportunities. There's potential for positive and negative in anything, depends on how it's utilized.

Jim
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
apollo

Post by apollo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:58 pm
apollo wrote:
James Y wrote:
apollo wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

🙂

Jim

I'm sorry to hear about your health challenges, apollo. I hope there comes a day when things are able to improve for you.

Jim
Thx Jim that is so kind of you. Can not complain as hard as few months ago. ( i was stuck bed from extreme pain , fever, tiredness , 12 to 15 bathroom breaks a day,… ) So it has improved allot. I can do things again and i am sure i can slowly grow in to my full time job aswel. ( If finally given the chance from my employer that is ) Its just well the disease isn’t curable so the pain and discomforts that now are still left will according to my doctors never go away so since i am only 32 i need to learn to live with them. And well that kinda sucks especially when you have an employer that shivers with the thought of me starting again without being totally “cured” . :squinting-tongue
While I personally know that many of my younger colleagues and even a few older ones watch an episode on netflix or play games on there phone during the work hours in the restrooms they seem to struggle with the idea of me possibly having a bad day and needing an extra 10 minutes…
Pisses me off honestly. :squinting-tongue
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

Hi, Barry. Yes, things can seem much better in hindsight. I liked my childhood enough that I consider myself lucky, and I would never trade places with a young person today. But life in general was different back then, and I would see no advantage for me to ever go back again. That would be like going back to experience elementary school through high school again. Why??

There are also many more types of opportunities nowadays to do things that simply did not exist back then. Some might argue that's not all good, but I would counter that it's what you create with the opportunities. There's potential for positive and negative in anything, depends on how it's utilized.

Jim

Jim,

I agree, we are much better off today all the way around than in the past.

We have cleaner air, cars are much more reliable, technology has brought us many opportunities.

There are a lot of positives for sure, too many to list really when comparing.

However nothing is perfect and the complainers will always complain on how we are all doomed because (enter persons name here) got into power or whatever.

People say that same crap every 4 years and have for as long as I can remember and we are all still here. ;)

Amazing isn't it? :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

apollo wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 am
James Y wrote:
apollo wrote:
James Y wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

🙂

Jim

Jim
Thx Jim that is so kind of you. Can not complain as hard as few months ago. ( i was stuck bed from extreme pain , fever, tiredness , 12 to 15 bathroom breaks a day,… ) So it has improved allot. I can do things again and i am sure i can slowly grow in to my full time job aswel. ( If finally given the chance from my employer that is ) Its just well the disease isn’t curable so the pain and discomforts that now are still left will according to my doctors never go away so since i am only 32 i need to learn to live with them. And well that kinda sucks especially when you have an employer that shivers with the thought of me starting again without being totally “cured” . :squinting-tongue
While I personally know that many of my younger colleagues and even a few older ones watch an episode on netflix or play games on there phone during the work hours in the restrooms they seem to struggle with the idea of me possibly having a bad day and needing an extra 10 minutes…

I don't blame you.

Well, perhaps someday there WILL be a safe cure for it. I certainly hope so. And hopefully, your employer and co-workers will learn to "get over themselves" and show you a little respect and empathy for your situation. And hopefully BEFORE they have to experience something like that themselves to realize how it feels.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:47 am
James Y wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

Jim

Jim,

We have cleaner air, cars are much more reliable, technology has brought us many opportunities.

However nothing is perfect and the complainers will always complain on how we are all doomed because (enter persons name here) got into power or whatever.

People say that same crap every 4 years and have for as long as I can remember and we are all still here. ;)

Jim

Jim,

As far back as I can remember, people have been worried about The End of the World. The people who were pushing that back in the '60s and '70s are now mostly dead, long dead, and yet the world still continues on.

And people are still talking about End Times. Let's suppose that it does all end for mankind. The planet will regenerate and continue on. It's really bizarre to live in unnecessary fear over something that you're almost certainly never going to see.

This is what I think: A lot of those beliefs are rooted in narcissism; that when the end of their life comes, it's going to be this big, dramatic, worldwide, cataclysmic event, where everybody else dies, too, and the believer is one of the few Chosen Ones who will ascend in The Rapture. When the cold reality is that most people are going to pass away uneventfully in their homes, or hooked up to machines in a hospital, or in hospice.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

What Hygiene Was Like For Medieval Peasants

https://youtu.be/aDavFlg0HYc

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:55 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:47 am
James Y wrote:
bearrowland wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

As far back as I can remember, people have been worried about The End of the World. The people who were pushing that back in the '60s and '70s are now mostly dead, long dead, and yet the world still continues on.

And people are still talking about End Times. Let's suppose that it does all end for mankind. The planet will regenerate and continue on. It's really bizarre to live in unnecessary fear over something that you're almost certainly never going to see.

This is what I think: A lot of those beliefs are rooted in narcissism; that when the end of their life comes, it's going to be this big, dramatic, worldwide, cataclysmic event, where everybody else dies, too, and the believer is one of the few Chosen Ones who will ascend in The Rapture. When the cold reality is that most people are going to pass away uneventfully in their homes, or hooked up to machines in a hospital, or in hospice.

Jim

Jim,

I would say so, that does seem to be the general delusion.

In the real end of the planet, when it's devoured by the SUN nothing will be left at all.

But you are correct, man could end tomorrow and the Earth would be better off in the end. Life will continue on, the Earth will regenerate and Millions of years from now there would be nothing left to say man was ever here.

Jim
apollo

Post by apollo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:43 pm
apollo wrote:
James Y wrote:
apollo wrote:

Jim

I don't blame you.

Well, perhaps someday there WILL be a safe cure for it. I certainly hope so. And hopefully, your employer and co-workers will learn to "get over themselves" and show you a little respect and empathy for your situation. And hopefully BEFORE they have to experience something like that themselves to realize how it feels.

Jim
Thx Jim talking to you really made me better. You’re a good man!
James Y

Post by James Y »

apollo wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:52 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:43 pm
apollo wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

I don't blame you.

Jim
Thx Jim talking to you really made me better. You’re a good man!

My pleasure. Have a great week, apollo!

Jim