If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by JD Spydo »

Jim this is a most interesting and timely subject you bring up. Because in the past year or so I've been telling several of my friends and acquaintances that I would absolutely love to go back to the 1970s. I just loved the 70s for a variety of reasons. Everything just seemed to be a lot more sane and rational than times we are in currently. People just seemed to be a lot more genuine back then and we would have a lot of good times like outdoor barbeques, sporting events and a lot of other activities that you rarely see anymore :(

I graduated High School in 1972 ( really dating myself on this one :o :rolleyes: ) and after that I immediately got a job and went to work and made relatively decent money for that time. Because in Kansas City back in the 70s there were so many decent paying jobs at that time it truly seemed like a waste of time to go to college at that point. If you were willing to work and not lazy you could have 3 jobs if you wanted them. The Kansas City area as many other cities in the USA were really booming economically back then. The financial landscape in the 1970s was nothing like the present economic nightmare we have now.

People during the 1970s just seemed to be really relaxed and we just really got along a lot better back then. It seems like now-a-days everyone is trying to file a lawsuit against you or devising a way to back-stab you :( In 1970s they had so many great rock concerts here in Kansas City, MO USA Earth that you could take in at least 2 to 3 really good premier rock concerts almost every month. And I'm talking about iconic bands like Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Mott The Hoople, David Bowie, Alice Cooper ect, ect.

We had no fear of any pandemic back then and we would have parties at two of our local lakes and forests with no fear of getting busted. As long as there was no violence they just left us alone. It seems like in this present time they try to bust people for so many things. It wasn't like that in the 70s. The 1970s were truly my favorite time here on planet earth and the reasons are so numerous I would spend an hour or even 3 pages listing all of them. Yeah Jim just take me back to the 1970s :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd go back if it was safe and I could return when I wanted. There are some relatives I'd like to meet and some I'd just plain want to see again even if I couldn't tell them who I was.

I'd love to see North America just after the ice age broke up by a few hundred years or so. Heck, looking at the mega fauna that left with the ice age would be interesting. I'd like to see Dire wolves, Sabertooths, and giant short faced bears. From a distance naturally. Maybe see those huge inland seas that were in North America at various times. I'd also want to find out what those red haired giants were all about that inhabited a few places in what was to become the USA. We know there were 8 and 9 foot people running about then.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:02 am
I'd go back if it was safe and I could return when I wanted. There are some relatives I'd like to meet and some I'd just plain want to see again even if I couldn't tell them who I was.

I'd love to see North America just after the ice age broke up by a few hundred years or so. Heck, looking at the mega fauna that left with the ice age would be interesting. I'd like to see Dire wolves, Sabertooths, and giant short faced bears. From a distance naturally. Maybe see those huge inland seas that were in North America at various times. I'd also want to find out what those red haired giants were all about that inhabited a few places in what was to become the USA. We know there were 8 and 9 foot people running about then.

Joe,

Yeah, I agree it would be interesting for sure. :D

Going back that far and checking out in time were no real written records exist. :cool:

See some of the Earths history back in those times or as I posted even long before.

Being able to to go back with video gear and testing equipment etc would be very nice along with a team.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:30 pm
Jim this is a most interesting and timely subject you bring up. Because in the past year or so I've been telling several of my friends and acquaintances that I would absolutely love to go back to the 1970s. I just loved the 70s for a variety of reasons. Everything just seemed to be a lot more sane and rational than times we are in currently. People just seemed to be a lot more genuine back then and we would have a lot of good times like outdoor barbeques, sporting events and a lot of other activities that you rarely see anymore :(

I graduated High School in 1972 ( really dating myself on this one :o :rolleyes: ) and after that I immediately got a job and went to work and made relatively decent money for that time. Because in Kansas City back in the 70s there were so many decent paying jobs at that time it truly seemed like a waste of time to go to college at that point. If you were willing to work and not lazy you could have 3 jobs if you wanted them. The Kansas City area as many other cities in the USA were really booming economically back then. The financial landscape in the 1970s was nothing like the present economic nightmare we have now.

People during the 1970s just seemed to be really relaxed and we just really got along a lot better back then. It seems like now-a-days everyone is trying to file a lawsuit against you or devising a way to back-stab you :( In 1970s they had so many great rock concerts here in Kansas City, MO USA Earth that you could take in at least 2 to 3 really good premier rock concerts almost every month. And I'm talking about iconic bands like Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Mott The Hoople, David Bowie, Alice Cooper ect, ect.

We had no fear of any pandemic back then and we would have parties at two of our local lakes and forests with no fear of getting busted. As long as there was no violence they just left us alone. It seems like in this present time they try to bust people for so many things. It wasn't like that in the 70s. The 1970s were truly my favorite time here on planet earth and the reasons are so numerous I would spend an hour or even 3 pages listing all of them. Yeah Jim just take me back to the 1970s :)

Joe,

You’re a year younger than my brother, so don’t think you’re too old. :) He still plays local gigs as the guitarist in a band.

I liked living in the ‘70s, but I experienced it from a kid’s perspective, from the age of 6 to 16. That period forever shaped my tastes in many things, including music. If I went back as the adult I am now, I’m certain I would not enjoy it as much as I did then.

The great thing about this thread is every opinion counts. There are no wrong answers. :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:02 am

Joe,

I don’t know if I’d ever want to meet any of the past relatives I never met.

I wouldn’t mind seeing WAY far back, to see dinosaurs. I say “seeing” far back, because I’d prefer to view it remotely, for many practical safety reasons. Maybe they could send some small, sphere-shaped flying robot into the past that could transmit clear, 360-degree video. I’m willing to bet that real dinosaurs looked and behaved much differently from the cinematic ones in the Jurassic Park movies.

As far as ancient giants go, that would be interesting. From what I’ve read, they weren’t limited to North America. They were often described as having six fingers and six toes on each hand and foot, with double rows of teeth. They ranged from 6’-plus tall (tall for ancient times). Some of the ancient skeletons that were discovered were described as ranging up to 10+ feet long. If the skeleton was that long, in life it would have been even bigger and taller than that standing up. They were also described in Native American lore as being cannibalistic.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:40 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:30 pm

Joe,

You’re a year younger than my brother, so don’t think you’re too old. :) He still plays local gigs as the guitarist in a band.

I liked living in the ‘70s, but I experienced it from a kid’s perspective, from the age of 6 to 16. That period forever shaped my tastes in many things, including music. If I went back as the adult I am now, I’m certain I would not enjoy it as much as I did then.

The great thing about this thread is every opinion counts. There are no wrong answers. :)

Jim

Jim,

Same here about the 70's for me, was also a kid, 5 to 15 so same story.

Then all of the negatives about the 70's which could fill countless volumes of Encyclopedias so I won't go into that here.

Personally I wouldn't want to go back as I don't remember it being all that wonderful that I would want to repeat it, or anytime in my past lifetime really.

Which is why I said go WAY back for science and or into the future for the same reason. :)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 am
Jim,

Same here about the 70's for me, was also a kid, 5 to 15 so same story.

Then all of the negatives about the 70's which could fill countless volumes of Encyclopedias so I won't go into that here.

Personally I wouldn't want to go back as I don't remember it being all that wonderful that I would want to repeat it, or anytime in my past lifetime really.

Which is why I said go WAY back for science and or into the future for the same reason. :)

Jim

Jim,

In my own experience, it’s easy to look back on my childhood, especially when I hear the music from back then (which, IMO, was the best-ever popular music, but that’s just my opinion), :) and remember the good times. But I also remember the tough times. It’s easy to look back on it being like ‘That ‘70s Show’, which had some things reminiscent in a sitcom sort of way, but real life is still much different. If I’m being totally honest, except for having had far fewer responsibilities to worry about in the ‘70s, and the music being MUCH better back then, :p I see no advantages FOR MYSELF to ever go back. Whether as an adult, or to revert to my age back then.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Edwardian Women Who Claimed To Travel Back In Time.

This article discusses a very famous account that I first read about decades ago. Was the account of these two women true or not? I won’t say yes and I won’t say no. I’m open-minded but not gullible on the matter. If they had made it up, you would think they’d have created a more elaborate and fanciful account.

Are (very rare) time slips actually possible? This is not the only account of people who have reported experiencing possible time slips (or dimensional slips). I do believe in the possibility. This universe and its wonders are vast, and no one can claim to know all that is possible or impossible. All we can do is either believe, disbelieve, or be open-minded about a subject.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/554 ... -back-time

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As far as ancient giants go, that would be interesting. From what I’ve read, they weren’t limited to North America. They were often described as having six fingers and six toes on each hand and foot, with double rows of teeth. They ranged from 6’-plus tall (tall for ancient times). Some of the ancient skeletons that were discovered were described as ranging up to 10+ feet long. If the skeleton was that long, in life it would have been even bigger and taller than that standing up. They were also described in Native American lore as being cannibalistic.
I believe that is where the one hand up palm toward the person being greeted came from. You were essentially showing you were human and not something else. It was bastardized in the old western movies to the "how!" greeting and became something of a joke but it didn't begin that way.

joe
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The giants were last seen in the far south of Patagonia, apparently...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagon
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
I believe that is where the one hand up palm toward the person being greeted came from. You were essentially showing you were human and not something else. It was bastardized in the old western movies to the "how!" greeting and became something of a joke but it didn't begin that way.

joe

I’ve never heard that before. Very interesting…

Jim

[/quote]
ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:00 pm
The giants were last seen in the far south of Patagonia, apparently...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagon

Very cool. I remember reading about that before.

Skeletons of giants were found long ago in the Aleutian Islands. I also heard about giant remains found alongside huge weapons in Arizona.

There have been reports of giants in the Solomon Islands, up to recent times. At least through World War 2, and possibly up to the present.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

A couple of articles about supposed ‘time slips’ experienced on Bold Street in Liverpool, England.

http://www.paranormalscholar.com/liverp ... ld-street/

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/11/ ... ol-street/

I’m not saying they’re true or not, but what benefit would there be for a cop to make up such a story?

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

This entire clip has some of my favorite parts of Army of Darkness, IMO the all-time best time travel/horror/comedy movie. This one movie also has the greatest one-liners; it was literally packed full of them, in an era when all American action movie heroes uttered catchy one-liners.

The actual scenes start from about 0:32:

https://youtu.be/T802C92eN98

Jim
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

Same time as this fellow traveller
James Y

Post by James Y »

I wasn’t even going to bring this up, but over the years, there have been several men (mostly teen boys, actually) who have claimed to be time travelers from the future, sent back to the present in top-secret scientific experiments. Socially inept kids looking for a little attention and Internet celebrity. What better way to try to make yourself seem more important and special than you really are by claiming to be a part of something top-secret? And if it was ‘top-secret’, they sure weren’t keeping it a secret.

If real (which they’re not), then the scientists of the future are certainly NOT sending back their best and brightest. Most of the ones I even bothered listening to (just out of morbid curiosity of the human capacity for weirdness) for a minute could barely even speak properly…lots of “uuuhhhh’s” and “uummmm’s” in their sentences. How they even got to be featured on TV or radio shows at all, and be believed by some, is perplexing. But then again, the way things are nowadays, it shouldn’t be too surprising.

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The only form of time travel I have found is listening to those decade specific radio stations.

Some of those songs they play rake up old memories and really give a glimpse of how you felt, and who you knew, back then! Much preferable to news bulletins, currently.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:24 am
The only form of time travel I have found is listening to those decade specific radio stations.

Some of those songs they play rake up old memories and really give a glimpse of how you felt, and who you knew, back then! Much preferable to news bulletins, currently.

Chris,

I tend to categorize the different periods of my life by the music and songs that were current at the time, at least I did into the ‘90s.

The only radio stations I listen to are ‘oldies’ stations, that mostly play ‘70s and ‘80s stuff. I prefer ‘70s and ‘60s (the stuff I really grew up on) over ‘80s music, but not much ‘60s stuff is being played on the radio anymore, as that generation is aging out. Now, ‘90s and early 2K stuff is getting included in the ‘oldies’ stations, which for me kinda sucks.

For the most part, an old song only takes me ‘back in time’ anymore if it’s one I haven’t heard in a long time (or haven’t heard too often). Which means relatively obscure songs that were played back in the day, but weren’t big enough to make it on to the oldies stations. When it does happen, though, memories can come flooding back; I can even remember the place(s) I was when I heard it decades ago.

I also find that certain scents can also bring old memories flooding back, if it’s something you haven’t smelled since a certain time period. For me, it was certain wood smells, or even the smell of my dad’s old tools.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/KckZ5yZr7L0

Jim
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I was born in 1943. Yes, I’m old and if your lucky and smart you might get there too. Up to this point I’ve had a very good life, but would I go back? No, I just live for today, one day at a time.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That wild west thing was repugnant but that was how things were. No worse than European middle ages though. I was recently watching an old western where one guy was talking about putting his shirt on an ants nest to get rid of the lice. We are lucky. I've never seen a real live lice in person. :)

But I'd go if I had control of when I could return and what I could carry. I still want to see a live Mammoth, Sabertooth, giant sloth and a few more things.