If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dan In MI

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by Dan In MI »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:17 pm
Over the years I have heard people say they wanted to go back in time to whatever time period they have their own delusions about how wonderful it was. (Mostly Hollywood's fault and or the persons for actually believing it was really that great)

I normally ask them all the same questions?
I touched a little on that in my previous post in this topic. If I went back in time as I am, I would be extremely ill-prepared! A guy in tactical pants would really stand out, and I'd have no means of purchasing anything. Most, if not all, of the paper money that was around in the times I'd want to return to is no longer in circulation. I hadn't thought about work or living arrangements, because I figured I'd only be back in 1978 on a very temporary basis.

The dose of reality is much needed for anyone who'd like to go back in time. Unless one is adept at living on the fringes of society or resorts to illegal ways, time travel is not exactly practical.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Dan In MI wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:46 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Over the years I have heard people say they wanted to go back in time to whatever time period they have their own delusions about how wonderful it was. (Mostly Hollywood's fault and or the persons for actually believing it was really that great)

I touched a little on that in my previous post in this topic. If I went back in time as I am, I would be extremely ill-prepared! A guy in tactical pants would really stand out, and I'd have no means of purchasing anything. Most, if not all, of the paper money that was around in the times I'd want to return to is no longer in circulation. I hadn't thought about work or living arrangements, because I figured I'd only be back in 1978 on a very temporary basis.

The dose of reality is much needed for anyone who'd like to go back in time. Unless one is adept at living on the fringes of society or resorts to illegal ways, time travel is not exactly practical.

Mostly what I relating to was people who think they would actually go back and live in whatever time period etc.

Or thinking they were born in the wrong time period etc and watched too many movies. LOL :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:17 am
“The Strange Mystery of the Vatican’s Secret Time Machine.”

Interestingly, this article just came out today. I’m open-minded about a lot of things, but I’m not gullible. IMO, this Father Pellegrino Ernetti’s story about the “Chronovisor” was a bunch of BS. He even admitted to having faked a couple pieces of “proof” (including a supposed photo of Jesus Christ). Yet he still insisted that the machine had been real. Even without his admission of fraud, I still wouldn’t have believed it.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2021/05/ ... e-machine/

Jim

Jim,

Might be interesting to go back say 50,000 years or longer like say 500,000 years or more for scientific studies if they could find a way to do it.

And for a short period of time like a week or so.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 am
This was probably the most famous example of the hyper-romanticized, Hollywood fantasy vision of traveling back in time:

https://youtu.be/9uicvPZSKIM

Jim

Jim,

Yeah. LOL :D

What would you do for work? (Assuming there wasn't a war or other assorted brutality that happened or was going on that they never thought about or didn't know about)

Where would you live and what would you live in and how would you get there?

What would you do about clothes and other assorted needs and how would you get them with no money?

Jim

Excellent questions all, Jim!

When I see movies like that (or even just trailers of them), with their dreamy romanticism, I think about other things that almost nobody seems to consider:

Halitosis that would gag a monkey;
Janky teeth;
The effects of having eaten bacteria-laden food that’s been sitting at room temp for too long;
B.O. barely hidden under tons of perfume;

…and a long list of other unmentionables I probably shouldn’t type in a post on this forum.

🤢

:D

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:07 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 am
This was probably the most famous example of the hyper-romanticized, Hollywood fantasy vision of traveling back in time:

https://youtu.be/9uicvPZSKIM

Jim

Jim,

Yeah. LOL :D

What would you do for work? (Assuming there wasn't a war or other assorted brutality that happened or was going on that they never thought about or didn't know about)

Where would you live and what would you live in and how would you get there?

What would you do about clothes and other assorted needs and how would you get them with no money?

Jim

Excellent questions all, Jim!

When I see movies like that (or even just trailers of them), with their dreamy romanticism, I think about other things that almost nobody seems to consider:

Halitosis that would gag a monkey;
Janky teeth;
The effects of having eaten bacteria-laden food that’s been sitting at room temp for too long;
B.O. barely hidden under tons of perfume;

…and a long list of other unmentionables I probably shouldn’t type in a post on this forum.

🤢

:D

Jim

Jim,

There is a lot to think about.

But the ones I have talked to either don't really know anything (That would be almost all of them) and or never thought about any details at all, or even put any sort of real thought into it period. (that would be almost all of them also)

Like I said before it is assuming to hear some of them talk and then I ask the questions and totally burst their bubble with reality.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

I hear ya, Jim.

And I’m not criticizing anybody for dreaming. We all daydream about things now and then. I certainly do; back in the ‘70s and ‘80s, I used to daydream about being in a rock band. It’s the ones who seriously want to escape to the past (meaning the distant past) because they feel the present sucks who never think it through. And many write about it online. Just going back a couple/few decades, there wasn’t any social media. They would literally go insane without it, or the ability to instantly Google anything at a moment’s notice. Or watch YouTube. Or constantly yap on and scroll through their smart phones. Especially those who are younger and have never been without these things.

Now, IMO, it is possible that someone who has been used to living *completely* off the grid for years, and is extremely resourceful, could probably make do well enough if they time travelled to the past, depending on the era and the location.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:34 pm
I hear ya, Jim.

And I’m not criticizing anybody for dreaming. We all daydream about things now and then. I certainly do; back in the ‘70s and ‘80s, I used to daydream about being in a rock band. It’s the ones who seriously want to escape to the past (meaning the distant past) because they feel the present sucks who never think it through. And many write about it online. Just going back a couple/few decades, there wasn’t any social media. They would literally go insane without it, or the ability to instantly Google anything at a moment’s notice. Or watch YouTube. Or constantly yap on and scroll through their smart phones. Especially those who are younger and have never been without these things.

Now, IMO, it is possible that someone who has been used to living *completely* off the grid for years, and is extremely resourceful, could probably make do well enough if they time travelled to the past, depending on the era and the location.

Jim

Jim,

Maybe, maybe not, we are back to supplies and assorted needs, tools again and no money.

And no transportation so they would be on foot and barefoot at that.

And likely no skills that would actually be needed back whenever.

Unless they want to live in a lean-to or a cave and be eating berries or something. Then there is all the wildlife, MUCH more of it back whenever and much less people. Lots more predators. (And with no weapons to protect themselves because of no money to buy them with).

Like you said, no gadgets, no internet, no YT etc. No modern anything.

And it depends on the time period and actual location on the planet.

What might seem fine right now, likely wasn't back whenever, why actual knowledge really does matter. Out in the wilderness were the Native Americans were back in certain times, good luck with that.

There was no hey bro, what's up, would be a very short conversation and with no weapons, no clothes, no supplies, no money it would be very short.

Then in some other times just going back and doing certain things or saying the wrong thing could get them burned at the stake or hung for witchcraft or put in a dungeon and or tortured to death.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Yeah, if you just popped into certain places, especially looking like a modern person, you would be seen as a spawn of Satan. Or saying the wrong thing, yeah. IF the people of the place and time period could even understand what you’re saying. The English language, like many languages, has evolved (some might say devolved) considerably over the centuries. The puritans from the 1600s would find the standard, modern American vernacular alone to be incomprehensible, let alone the other American dialects and slang; you might as well be speaking Swahili.

There are many reasons that people’s life expectancies were brief in the past. I’ve heard that the stereotypical image of the hunched-over, toothless old crone/Halloween witch was based on what many European peasant women during the Middle Ages looked like by age 30.

Even within the past several decades, things have changed A LOT. Back in the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s, people in general aged much more quickly than today, Many of the men and women in their 30s back then could pass for late 50s and 60s today. Heck, there are some 70+ year olds today who look and act younger than many of the 30-somethings did back then.

Sure, much has to do with genetics. And much has to do with better nutrition, medical care and other factors. But I also believe a lot has to do with beliefs and expectations. Most people expected to start getting old once they hit a certain age. Even today, there are many people who have the mindset that, once you’re in your 30s (or even just out of high school!), you’re already declining physically and mentally, and that’s that. When I was in my late 20s, I knew some guys with that mindset who were younger than I was, and they were already starting to look and act like old men. And such beliefs and expectations can and will contribute to faster aging and decline.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm
James Y wrote:

Interestingly, this article just came out today. I’m open-minded about a lot of things, but I’m not gullible. IMO, this Father Pellegrino Ernetti’s story about the “Chronovisor” was a bunch of BS. He even admitted to having faked a couple pieces of “proof” (including a supposed photo of Jesus Christ). Yet he still insisted that the machine had been real. Even without his admission of fraud, I still wouldn’t have believed it.

Jim

Jim,

Might be interesting to go back say 50,000 years or longer like say 500,000 years or more for scientific studies if they could find a way to do it.

Jim

I’d rather be able to view it remotely somehow, rather than physically going that far back. Too many risks, seen and unseen (including probably different viruses and such).

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:01 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I’d rather be able to view it remotely somehow, rather than physically going that far back. Too many risks, seen and unseen (including probably different viruses and such).

Jim

Jim,

Was thinking more in the lines of having all the gear with them and respirators etc. And it would be a short stay too.

Kinda like the Time Tunnel thing.

More about finding answers about the beginning of the Human race etc.

Jim
Last edited by Ankerson on Fri May 21, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 3:51 pm
Yeah, if you just popped into certain places, especially looking like a modern person, you would be seen as a spawn of Satan. Or saying the wrong thing, yeah. IF the people of the place and time period could even understand what you’re saying. The English language, like many languages, has evolved (some might say devolved) considerably over the centuries. The puritans from the 1600s would find the standard, modern American vernacular alone to be incomprehensible, let alone the other American dialects and slang; you might as well be speaking Swahili.

There are many reasons that people’s life expectancies were brief in the past. I’ve heard that the stereotypical image of the hunched-over, toothless old crone/Halloween witch was based on what many European peasant women during the Middle Ages looked like by age 30.

Even within the past several decades, things have changed A LOT. Back in the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s, people in general aged much more quickly than today, Many of the men and women in their 30s back then could pass for late 50s and 60s today. Heck, there are some 70+ year olds today who look and act younger than many of the 30-somethings did back then.

Sure, much has to do with genetics. And much has to do with better nutrition, medical care and other factors. But I also believe a lot has to do with beliefs and expectations. Most people expected to start getting old once they hit a certain age. Even today, there are many people who have the mindset that, once you’re in your 30s (or even just out of high school!), you’re already declining physically and mentally, and that’s that. When I was in my late 20s, I knew some guys with that mindset who were younger than I was, and they were already starting to look and act like old men. And such beliefs and expectations can and will contribute to faster aging and decline.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, poor nutrition and generally a hard life can put some serious years on a person.

Some people have this utopian delusion of the good old days mostly due to lack of real knowledge of History or about the real details and conditions of day to day life of the ave person of the past so they make things up basically.

The whole thing and yes utter delusions of how things were better in the good old days is really a gross misconception at best. The past was not good and the further back one goes the worse it gets (Not better).

I do know were some of these delusions come from and the spoon feed motivation behind them, but I won't go into that here. ;) (Mostly on my FB feed and they are dumber than a bag of rocks)

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Two words, "no way". Once was enough. Don't let anyone kid you, these ARE the good old days.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think one facet of time-travel interest is the historical curiosity aspect - getting to talk shop with Curie, Newton, Plato, etc.

Another aspect is a desire to return to times perceived as simpler. Most of the time, these 'good old days' occurred during youth, and I posit that rather than nostalgia for an era, we're missing the mindset of our youth. We miss having fewer responsibilities and worries, more hope, more trust in the broad strokes of our imagined future with no experience yet of the compromises and complexities that come with maturity.

That said, the present is definitely the best place to exist other than the future ;)

Life in the past was, by modern standards, pretty awful for nearly EVERYONE, and there weren't many prospects for it getting better since many of the prevailing mentalities of the past had a 'place' for each person, regardless of your ambition or ability.

I'd rather be a modern pauper than an ancient king. Clear standard of living difference right there :P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
James Y

Post by James Y »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:28 am
I think one facet of time-travel interest is the historical curiosity aspect - getting to talk shop with Curie, Newton, Plato, etc.

Another aspect is a desire to return to times perceived as simpler. Most of the time, these 'good old days' occurred during youth, and I posit that rather than nostalgia for an era, we're missing the mindset of our youth. We miss having fewer responsibilities and worries, more hope, more trust in the broad strokes of our imagined future with no experience yet of the compromises and complexities that come with maturity.

That said, the present is definitely the best place to exist other than the future ;)

Life in the past was, by modern standards, pretty awful for nearly EVERYONE, and there weren't many prospects for it getting better since many of the prevailing mentalities of the past had a 'place' for each person, regardless of your ambition or ability.

I'd rather be a modern pauper than an ancient king. Clear standard of living difference right there :P

Nice post.

In terms of childhood or youthful nostalgia, I get that from time to time. But would I ever choose to go back? Never. There’s a saying: “You can never go home again.” We tend to view our childhoods in stasis; those who (seriously) long to go back are desiring to escape their lives to that simpler time, but are not realizing that life is all about change. Even if the impossible were true, and one could actually go back and revert to their childhood (if it was a positive one) ‘forever’, like in some old Twilight Zone episode, that person would eventually become restless and long for more. Because life is in a constant state of change, even when we don’t always notice it in our external circumstances.

Although I loved most of my childhood, and had some great times as a younger man, there were also hardships as well (depression, etc.). I can say with complete honesty that I like the person I have become now, and where I’m at mentally, emotionally, etc., MUCH more than I have at any other point in my life. Even with all the difficulties, greater responsibilities, and worries that have come with that. Am I satisfied with where I’m at now? No. I am grateful for where I am and what I have, but I’m still growing, still striving and dealing with challenges. I am a much better human being now than I ever was, and I’m only getting better as I continue to evolve in life. And the best for me is yet to come.

Wonderful memories of the past can be revisited at times, but they belong in the past. They’re building blocks, but eventually you outgrow those and move on. Those are my views, anyway.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim
Sounds dangerous. There would be a lot to consider.

- Was the atmosphere the same as now?
- Possible wild animals and savage humans to deal with
- "Germs" and biologicals that existed back then might be dangerous
- What would YOU eat/drink, and what might eat YOU!
- When was the last time that an asteroid hit the Earth?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 10:20 am
Two words, "no way". Once was enough. Don't let anyone kid you, these ARE the good old days.
I think the 70's were the good old days, and they were not that good.

Things have changed so much since the 70's, and it seems to be much more dangerous.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim
Sounds dangerous. There would be a lot to consider.

- Was the atmosphere the same as now?
- Possible wild animals and savage humans to deal with
- "Germs" and biologicals that existed back then might be dangerous
- What would YOU eat/drink, and what might eat YOU!
- When was the last time that an asteroid hit the Earth?

They would send a probe back 1st before sending in the scientific team, like what they are doing on Mars etc.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I mostly look to my past for how it relates to now, and to where my life is going. As opposed to wanting to go back. I do not believe that my best days are behind me. It’s all a result of the choices I’ve made in life; whether good or not so good. I wouldn’t go back to the past, even to correct my mistakes, because mistakes are a part of life, and how you grow (hopefully). Just my opinion, but life should be striving to be more, not to peak at one early moment and it all declines from there.

The type I’ve talked to who always live in the past, reliving their ‘glory days’ and feeling like their present and future can only suck, are a lot like Al Bundy. And even though it was a sitcom, it wasn’t too far off the mark in some respects. if you’re familiar with the character, his current life “sucks” exactly because of the choices he made in his life.

https://youtu.be/M_qa0EEKZ90

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Naperville wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:57 pm
yablanowitz wrote:

Things have changed so much since the 70's, and it seems to be much more dangerous.
I had good times back in the 70s, mostly because I was still young, immortal and invulnerable. It was just as dangerous back then, we were just to inexperienced and uninformed to realize it. Ignorance is bliss, and we were happy. I survived those times as much by sheer dumb luck as anything. I wouldn't want to try my luck a second time. If I went back knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have any fun, I'd be a grumpy old fart in school.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:16 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:57 pm
yablanowitz wrote:

I had good times back in the 70s, mostly because I was still young, immortal and invulnerable. It was just as dangerous back then, we were just to inexperienced and uninformed to realize it. Ignorance is bliss, and we were happy. I survived those times as much by sheer dumb luck as anything. I wouldn't want to try my luck a second time. If I went back knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have any fun, I'd be a grumpy old fart in school.
There are things I'd love to change. If there is a God, he knows I never forgive myself for my foolishness.

Right now I need to drop this weight. Now that it's 80+ F every day, I plan to get up earlier in the morning to go for walks. I'd like to be able to fend for myself if need be. I'd like to be able to go out and cut down some weed trees and do yard work for a day.

It was definitely dumb luck and God's will that I'm here at all too.

Thank God for Spyderco and quality knife companies like Spyderco that give me a little pleasure as I marvel at their work. It might be nothing to some, but as a guy who never took metal shop, it is really something to see and read about the progress and be able to hold in my hand for just a few bucks a piece of history.

The same goes with the martial arts DVDs and books that I buy. In a few years if I'm lucky, I'll still be alive, but it's unlikely I'll be able to do what I see in the videos. Yet, there I was training under some of these masters. I was there.

I'm not dead yet. If I can drop 50lbs, maybe I'll do a little more physically.