Deciding on kids first knives.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Josh Crutchley

Deciding on kids first knives.

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I have 4 kids but none of them really expressed interest in knives until now. I'm sure it's mostly due to my new collection of Spydercos. The oldest likes the shape of Manix 2 but it's obviously way to big for her. I'm thinking of getting her a Dragonfly 2 in pink, it seems like a better option for a teenager.

My wife likes the idea of getting a larger knife to put up untill they're older. I want to get them knives that fit their hands and they can use.

That bring up the question what age is old enough to carry a knife? I'm inclined to decide based on maturity level and their overall ability using tools. So what do you guys think?
TomAiello

Re: Deciding on kids first knives.

Post by TomAiello »

I got my older daughter a Dragonfly for her first. My younger daughter got a Cricket for her first, but that was mostly for sentimental reasons (I got her the tattoo cricket after she played the cricket character in a local theater production of MuLan Jr.).

I think the Dragonfly is a really good choice.

The Junior (now discontinued) is also a great choice: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... DiAlex/671

I bought a couple for my kids when they were on disco sale.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:48 pm
I got my older daughter a Dragonfly for her first. My younger daughter got a Cricket for her first, but that was mostly for sentimental reasons (I got her the tattoo cricket after she played the cricket character in a local theater production of MuLan Jr.).

I think the Dragonfly is a really good choice.

The Junior (now discontinued) is also a great choice: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... DiAlex/671

I bought a couple for my kids when they were on disco sale.
I love the Cricket story, hope to have a story like that to go with their knives.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Does Spyderco do engraving?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Most of the good retailers will engrave the knives they carry. I've had most of my engraving done by Knifeworks, but I believe I've also gotten engraving done by DLT and BladeHQ. They all tend to have a stock set of fonts and a 'just enter the text' option, but you can usually contact them and have custom graphics. I have given quite a few knives to my employees, engraved with my company logo.

The knives I've given my kids (and my wife, and my dad, and my father in law) all get engraved with name and date/occasion (always the date for a birthday, sometimes the name of a holiday in other cases, like 'Christmas 2018' or whatever).

I've also had engraving done locally (by a trophy and awards shop), one time when I got the knife I wanted to gift aftermarket (through a weird set of connections that actually made it more meaningful for the guy I was giving it to).
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:34 pm
So what do you guys think?
I think there is no time like the present to build skills, gather knowledge, and foster maturity. Regardless of age, if the kid expresses an interest TODAY, then TODAY is the day to act. Tomorrow, their interests might shift to boys, clothes, TikTok, or a thousand other things that you and I don't understand. . Maybe the Dragonfly is a more sensible choice from the perspective of old guys like us. But if the young lady likes the Manix, then get the girl the Manix.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:28 pm
Maybe the Dragonfly is a more sensible choice from the perspective of old guys like us. But if the young lady likes the Manix, then get the girl the Manix.
Amen, but I would add, get both. The D'fly can be used when the M2 is not appropriate.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You didn’t say how old they are. My boy is 6 and he has already expressed an interest so I allow him to use knives under close supervision. He has done some stuff helping in the kitchen cutting veggies, he has sharpened a few sticks for s’mores and he has picked food in our garden. He has a while before he gets to carry his own knife though.

He currently has a Mora Safety knife. It has a pronounced finger guard and no tip. Getting cut is bad, getting stabbed is worse. It is also $12. If you are set on a folder, maybe get one with a sheepsfoot blade for safety.

He loves lime green so his first knife will be a Kabar Dozier Folder I have had for a while. I have technically already gifted it to him but he only gets to use it when I am watching. I figure it is cheap and once he actually gains possession of it there is a good chance he will lose it. I definitely lost a few as a kid.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:14 am
under close supervision.
This is so important; I was old enough at about 10 years old, but my brother was not at 7, and that's how I ended up with a giant gash in my hand!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
thebard42

Post by thebard42 »

My first was a SAK around 7, I got a bigger folder at 9 with thumb studs, and a nicer Gerber at 12 that I carried all of high school and college. I recall cutting myself within an hour with the folder, but that was the only time that knife bit me. They were always presented as tools with a purpose.